Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photozone: DA70, Sigma 30/1.4

Klaus at Photozone has been working hard lately with a couple of Pentax fit lenses.
The latest additions are the SMC Pentax DA70/2.4 and the Sigma 30/1.4 EX

Here: PhotoZone

05-21-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Jonas. Thanks for these two reviews!

Did you actually provide the lenses to photozone for review?

Sigma 30 f1.4 review confirms my experiences using it. But most of my preferred shots from this lens is really of low light moody interpretation rather than anything else.

A bit surprised about the vignetting and Distorsion of Da 70 ltd actually.

Cheers
05-21-2007, 04:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the link. I like those reviews even though they're geared mainly towards test charts and whatnot.

There is quite a compelling shot for the Sigma 30 (linked below, warning it is a LARGE file):
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_30_14_pentax/samples/IMGP4308_acr37.jpg

IMO it rendered this scene better than the DA70, or the utterly disappointing Zeiss lenses. Link to the same shot with the Zeiss 85/1.4 for Nikon below (another warning, LARGE file):
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/zeiss_zf_85_14/samples/DSC_4120-01.jpg

I think all those Zeiss lenses stink. I think the Pentax lenses, and in this case the Sigma, produce much better results.
05-21-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hi Jonas. Thanks for these two reviews!

Did you actually provide the lenses to photozone for review?
Yes. I support the idea of having information available on-line... Klaus' tests are what they are, mainly based on specified targets and soft-ware driven but they do add to other information available. I also like his way of making short no-nonsens comments and then be done with things. So unlike my own poor attempts.
I sent him three lenses and they where taken care of and promptly reviewed. A great service.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Sigma 30 f1.4 review confirms my experiences using it. But most of my preferred shots from this lens is really of low light moody interpretation rather than anything else.
A bit surprised about the vignetting and Distorsion of Da 70 ltd actually.
The Sigma is a funny and somewhat special lens. I remember you once writing that it used wide open more or less worked as the FA31. Comparing the bokeh the Sigma is even smoother and with somewhat less bright rings at the same time as it is faster. The corners may, or may not, be a problem. It is not for architectural pictures printed big, but for action, low light, short shutter times and an unbeatable center resolution and contrast.

The DA70 is made for APS-C sensors. We will see more of this as the old film lenses are phased out. The size and weight come at a price. A nice overall performer I think with minor differences from the FA77 that also is a nice overall performer. Both are fully useable wide open and that is what I like.

regards,

05-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Thanks for the link. I like those reviews even though they're geared mainly towards test charts and whatnot.

There is quite a compelling shot for the Sigma 30 (linked below, warning it is a LARGE file):
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_30_14_pentax/samples/IMGP4308_acr37.jpg

IMO it rendered this scene better than the DA70, or the utterly disappointing Zeiss lenses. Link to the same shot with the Zeiss 85/1.4 for Nikon below (another warning, LARGE file):
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/zeiss_zf_85_14/samples/DSC_4120-01.jpg

I think all those Zeiss lenses stink. I think the Pentax lenses, and in this case the Sigma, produce much better results.
Hi Sean,

I agree about your findings. I also sent Klaus a third lens. It may be of limited interest but theoretically... maybe. Here:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/leica_50_14_canon/index.htm

It would be interesting to hear your comments on this one, maybe compared to the Zeiss counterpart?! Different cameras, different pictures, different light - I know.
I don't say the Zeiss lenses stink but I am also a bit dissapointed. When they were announced I thought this could be a great thing and wondered if they could be an option. But Zeiss once again just aimed for resolution and not much more. The Sigma sets an all time high for center resolution with the K10D but they somehow avoid the Zeiss look. Then the corners and highlights in the corners is another thing...

Also see my comment to James above.

regards,
05-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Forum Member

[QUOTE=Jonas B;59327] I also like his way of making short no-nonsens comments and then be done with things. So unlike my own poor attempts.
I sent him three lenses and they where taken care of and promptly reviewed. A great service.
QUOTE]

Thanks for the post Jonas. Regarding your "poor" attempts of reviewing camara equipement. The link to the zenitar 16mm on some other internet place was very informative and much appreciated.

Keep them coming

Regards
05-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Jonas!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
It would be interesting to hear your comments on this one, maybe compared to the Zeiss counterpart?! Different cameras, different pictures, different light - I know.
Sneaky! I like it.
Without having seen very much from the Leicas I'll admit to being a bit surprised at some of its behaviors. It seems to me that it is challenged by certain backgrounds, notably the angel statue (tree leaves in distant background) and the fence that the Sigma 30/1.4 did so well. Conversely I thought it did a splendid job on the spigot and the horse statue. This doesn't seem too far off from my experience with many Pentax lenses - they can be very good in some situations and very bad in others.

I deliberately took a shot similar to the angel statue today with my new F50/1.7 lens. It exhibits much of the distracting halos/CA that the Summilux does (click for a bigger file):

As an aside, I've taken this same shot with many lenses and the one that (so far) performed the best is one of the Nikkors - a 105/2.5 that I sold! Compare to the F50 shot:

I don't say the Zeiss lenses stink but I am also a bit dissapointed. When they were announced I thought this could be a great thing and wondered if they could be an option. But Zeiss once again just aimed for resolution and not much more. The Sigma sets an all time high for center resolution with the K10D but they somehow avoid the Zeiss look. Then the corners and highlights in the corners is another thing...
I say I'm disappointed because they stink! (Edit: The 25mm looks OK, the rest stink!)

One of the worst shots demonstrating how bad the ZF lenses are is one by the 85/1.4 of the horse statue (warning - BIG file):
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/zeiss_zf_85_14/samples/DSC_4104-01.jpg

Compare that shot to the same scene shot by the Leica (or the Pentaxes) and that is why I say they stink!

05-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aanund Quote
I also like his way of making short no-nonsens comments and then be done with things. So unlike my own poor attempts.
Thanks for the post Jonas. Regarding your "poor" attempts of reviewing camara equipement. The link to the zenitar 16mm on some other internet place was very informative and much appreciated.

Keep them coming

Regards
I concur! The worst part about Jonas' reviews is that he takes the pictures down.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Sigma 30 review by JonasB...