Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #1

Is this Vivitar lens compatible with a K100D?

I found a Vivitar 70-210mm 4.5 zoom macro lens today. Its a macro lens, and on the lens mount it says 'M/MD." I assume this means it can fit either a M mount or MD mount. It doesn't look scratched or damaged. The serial number is 77311211.
Are there any adaptors available for this type of lens to work with a pentax K100D? And one that hopefully isn't too expensive (limited college-student budget here).

I am a bit of beginner, and I hardly understand the types of lenses and their differences, so any help is appreciated. I paid almost nothing for it, so if it isn't very compatible with my camera it isn't a huge loss. I'm just curious if its possible as I do not currently own a macro lens compatible with my camera.

09-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would guess it's a Minolta MD mount. Not compatible with a K100D.
09-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

While there might be some sort of way of adapting a non-Pentax-mount lens to a Pentax camera in certain cases for certian lenses, basically, as a beginner, there's no reaosn to even conisder going there. It's not even relevant to most of us non-beginners. It's the equivalent of a first time car driver wondering if there's a way to retrofit a Chevrolet Malibu engine into a Toyota Camry. Maybe, maybe not, but almsot certainly not worth the trouble unelss you've got a *really* specific reason to want to try (a Malibu fetish, perhaps) and are willing to learn to do the work yourself or pay someone else to do it. Unless you have reason to assume the results would be so much better than simply driving the Camry as is, why bother?

Basically, don't consider any lenses that are not K-mount of M42 mount, as those are the only ones that are designed to work. The M42 lenses require an adapter.

And FWIW, zoom lenses that say "macro" on them aren't really macro lenses. That lens probably wouldn't actually give any better result than the 18-55 that presumably came with your camera. If you have any telephoto lens at all, the easiest/cheapest way to get very good macro capability would be to buy a Raynox 150 (around $40) to use with it, but browse or search this forum for other options (keywords: "macro" and "cheap", for instance).
09-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
It was more of a curiosity. So, if changing between mounting types just isn't feasible, then I won't go to the trouble of doing it. I do have a 50-200 mm lens, so Raynox 150 is a good option.

Thank you.

09-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
Banned

that is Minolta mount correct? it wouldn't be possible to use the lens without loosing infinity focus, unless you did surgery to lens to convert it to Kmount (not sure that would be possible anyhow.) to put it simply. not worth the trouble.
09-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Amaranthe,
The 18 - 55mm kit lens I imagine came with your camera will probably be all that you need for close up photography. until you become a little more skillful.

Even after your more advanced you can buy closeup filters for it. Although I don't like closeup filters I've seen some nice results from them.