Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivitar Series 1 28-90 MD to Pentax

Hi,
This may seem like a crazy question, but I jut got the Series 1 in Pentax mount cheap but it suffers from oily blade syndrome and has a loose zoom barrel. I also have the same lens in Monolta MD mount that is near mint. The question is whether it's possible to convert the MD mount to Pentax by swapping out components? Probably not possible, but I thought Id ask!

Thanks
Eric

09-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

By the time you've taken the lenses apart enough to swap components, you can fix the lens with Pentax mount easily, no swapping needed.

BTW, on my bench now is a Nikon-mount Kiron 28-90mm F/2.8-3.8 lens (the clone of the Vivitar Series 1). It suffers from oily blade syndrome as well. I'm in the middle of the disassembly.
09-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
That's what I was afraid of, looks like a good winter project.
Thanks for your input,
Eric
10-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Inactive Account

"I'm in the middle of the disassembly."

SOldBear,

Need help...I just picked up one of these lenses on the 'Bay for $20.52 knowing it would arrive with oily blades (see buyer's description below).

I've looked all over the place but can't find a repair manual or instructions for this type of project (I figured it was worth giving it a shot, given the price!). Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Herman

======================

VIVITAR 28-90 2.8/3.5 MACRO LENS FOR NIKON FILM CAMERA

COATINGS ARE EXCELLENT, ELEMENTS ARE EXCELLENT, NO SCRATCHES OR FUNGUS. 67mm HOYA UV FILTER ON BOARD.

APERTURE BLADES CLOSE / RETRACT WITH SLIGHT DELAY AND DISPLAY WHAT APPEARS TO BE APPARENT LUBRICANT. LENS WOULD BENEFIT BY CLEANING THEM.
(My italics)
INTERNAL ELEMENTS ARE OTHERWISE CLEAN. EXTERIOR EXHIBITS VERY LIGHT SIGNS OF USE, OTHERWISE A RATHER CLEAN LENS.

SN 28309767

Looks good on the auction page:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360196073941&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

10-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Look here Vivitar 28-90/2.8-3.5 Series 1 zoom
Advertisement contains quite detailed lens constuction.
As you can see diaphragm is in the center, I suggest to start dissasembling from front group. And also suggest to use lens spanners, is possible.
10-12-2009, 04:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

TR13....That helps! Thank you. Now just need to pick up some tools -- I'm a total newbie to photo repairs of any kind and lens cutaway looks more complicated than I expected. Can you suggest a good book or website for beginners?
10-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't know any good books or forums for repairs (but try "manual focus forum" and see top links).
I suggest you to get cheap 50mm or old zoom and start with them.
You can also make lens spanner yourself if you have proper tools.
Normally zooms are quite hard to repair.