Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Similar to the comparison b/w Pentax and Tokina lenses, a few discussions about the Pentax DA* 16-50 vs the Tamron 17-50 have led people to ask why the big price difference between the two. Some people even prefer the images that come out of the 17-50 more than from the 16-50.

It does take some effort to produce a lens with the exemplary build quality of a DA* lens and have weather sealing in a non-IF zoom. Add to that the SMC coatings and SDM focusing, and you have basically justified how the DA* could cost that much more than the Tamron.

09-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Tokina and Pentax co-developed lenses have the same coatings. Both companies are Hoya owned, why wouldn't Hoya save on production costs by supplying ready-to-mount glass to their subsidiaries?
09-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Tokina and Pentax co-developed lenses have the same coatings. Both companies are Hoya owned, why wouldn't Hoya save on production costs by supplying ready-to-mount glass to their subsidiaries?
If Tokina was owned by Hoya, yes. But They are not. The confusion is Hoya optics (mostly filters) and Tokina lenses are DISTRIBUTED by the same organization in North American.
09-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
If Tokina was owned by Hoya, yes. But They are not. The confusion is Hoya optics (mostly filters) and Tokina lenses are DISTRIBUTED by the same organization in North American.
I just read a long thread on Hoya, Pentax and Tokina. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/38669-structure-hoya-c...ut-tokina.html
The only thing I would say for sure is that Hoya may or may not own Tokina, and Tokina lenses co-developed with Pentax may or may not have SMC coatings.

09-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #20

I am quite sad too .... I had waited to buy some lenses and now everything has shot up in price. I cant recommend Pentax to someone else as a bang for the buck system.

A year ago, I would convert lots of people (and I did) by convincing them to buy a K100D or K200D kit + FA35 when most people are set on Canikon from the start. My argument would be to look at the total system price and quality. Then FA35 was 299. Now DA35 is almost double and the FA has gone away

BTW, Nikon's 35/1.8 is 200

QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
So, I have been saving up some money, to get a few nice lenses.. couple of limiteds.. and perhaps a couple of quality zooms.

I was searching prices on the Pentax 50-135 and the Pentax 12-24.. and then I just HAD to check the prices of the Tokina variant.

Kinda bummed me out, to think as a Pentax user, I get slapped with a $500 - $600 " Tax" just to be able to shoot with these Re-Badged Tokina lenses. Kinda ticks me off. And No, I am not being a hater, or BASHING pentax, I love my K20D.. and look forward to learning it well.. but this bothers me a little

At B&H the prices are
Pentax 50-135 $799
Tokina 50-135 $529.00

Pentax 12-24 $719.00
Tokina 12-24 $399.00

And I am not really going to buy into some idea that the Pentax lenses are "specially coated" to give better quality... Let's face it.. $600 TAX.. kinda sucks!
09-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always thought that the price difference between the 16-50mm and 50-135mm were right ($200 for weather sealing, lighter body, and SDM? Hell yeah...) But the 35mm macros and 12-24mm (yes they are identical) kinda bum me out...
09-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They aren't always lower. I recommended the Tokina 10-17 fisheye to a Canon shooting friend who liked my fish. This was back in June but at that time the Tokina was around $100 more than the Pentax for that lens from just about every vendor.
09-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ddutta Quote
I am quite sad too .... I had waited to buy some lenses and now everything has shot up in price. I cant recommend Pentax to someone else as a bang for the buck system.

A year ago, I would convert lots of people (and I did) by convincing them to buy a K100D or K200D kit + FA35 when most people are set on Canikon from the start. My argument would be to look at the total system price and quality. Then FA35 was 299. Now DA35 is almost double and the FA has gone away

BTW, Nikon's 35/1.8 is 200
Ok, so one lens is cheaper than another. So? We could compare other lenses all day and come to the conclusion that some are more expensive from Pentax, some are cheaper. Who really cares, besides those who whine about their gear constantly? I could give a shit about what X lens costs in Y brand from Z retailer.

The part I bolded...what is quality worth? How does one determine quality when looking at price tags?

As Wheatfield has said before, regarding the price increases...Pentax users are finally paying the prices the lenses are really worth. It's not about the bottom line for the quality offered.
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
They aren't always lower. I recommended the Tokina 10-17 fisheye to a Canon shooting friend who liked my fish. This was back in June but at that time the Tokina was around $100 more than the Pentax for that lens from just about every vendor.
Yep...that Tokina for Canon was (is?) more expensive than the Pentax mount. It's also nice telling Canon users they're technically using a Pentax lens

09-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Yep...that Tokina for Canon was (is?) more expensive than the Pentax mount. It's also nice telling Canon users they're technically using a Pentax lens
I have a friend with a 50D who loves the deep rich colours he gets from the Tokina 10-17 and 12-24. That's another reason I think that Tokina may be using the SMC coatings on co-developed lenses.