Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #1

Kinda Bummed a bit about these prices

So, I have been saving up some money, to get a few nice lenses.. couple of limiteds.. and perhaps a couple of quality zooms.

I was searching prices on the Pentax 50-135 and the Pentax 12-24.. and then I just HAD to check the prices of the Tokina variant.

Kinda bummed me out, to think as a Pentax user, I get slapped with a $500 - $600 " Tax" just to be able to shoot with these Re-Badged Tokina lenses. Kinda ticks me off. And No, I am not being a hater, or BASHING pentax, I love my K20D.. and look forward to learning it well.. but this bothers me a little

At B&H the prices are
Pentax 50-135 $799
Tokina 50-135 $529.00

Pentax 12-24 $719.00
Tokina 12-24 $399.00

And I am not really going to buy into some idea that the Pentax lenses are "specially coated" to give better quality... Let's face it.. $600 TAX.. kinda sucks!

09-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What makes you say they are rebadged Tokina lenses?

Not too sure about the 50-135, but the 12-24s certainly don't appear to be identical twins. Sure, superficially they look similar on paper but comparing the Pentax and Tokina versions, not only do they look quite different externally but the Tokina version weighs 570g while the Pentax weighs 430g. The badges can't be that different in weight.

Last edited by Spock; 09-06-2009 at 10:22 AM.
09-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good you aren't in Sweden then. We pay an awful amount of tax on our salary and are then met by these prices, taken from the biggest internet based camera store:

DA* 50-135: $1590
DA 12-24: $1700

Of course the Tokina is cheaper but I hope you see how lucky you are. I mean, half price isn't that bad
09-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It's not like these have been undocumented. When considering a system, we should be looking at lenses we *might* consider purchasing in the future. The fact that these lenses are cheaper for other systems gives fairly good reason to have considered non-Pentax, and anybody's decision to choose Pentax would be for the fact that the Pentax versions are usually more compact/lighter, have WR, SDM (good or bad!), and SR with most modern bodies.

Unfortunately, most brands cannot excel at everything, or else there would be only one camera brand

09-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After reading this, I tend to agree.

"The Tokina AF 50-135mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX is the product of the cooperation between Tokina and Pentax which are now subsidiaries of the same company - it is an interesting thought that Pentax (co-)designs are now also available to users of other systems (Canon and Nikon)."

Gotta wonder why we don't get a choice.
09-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I scroll through the Canon lenses on BH and Adorama, I'm not seeing better prices. Especially when I sift through the EF-s stuff. The stuff comparable to DA* is up way up there in prices.
09-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
I don't think you are getting my post. My post isn't about general lense prices for each system manufacturer.. it's that Pentax users get Raped for buying a lens that is offered to other systems VIA Tokina... at a much cheaper price. I know it isn't many.. just seems odd to screw your customers like that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
When I scroll through the Canon lenses on BH and Adorama, I'm not seeing better prices. Especially when I sift through the EF-s stuff. The stuff comparable to DA* is up way up there in prices.

09-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I don't see Nikon or Canon affiliates, cooperators etc. putting out lenses in other mounts. However, I would like to see a couple of the Tokina lenses in K-mount. However, the Tokina lenses lack the SMC and newer Pentax coatings. Is there a significant difference in the coatings? That is another thread.

However, I don't buy anyone's platform for "3rd Party" offerings. I certainly wouldn't go with Nikon primarily for anything other than Nikkor.
09-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #9

Original Poster
Is that converted to US dollars? If so, that is very high.

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Good you aren't in Sweden then. We pay an awful amount of tax on our salary and are then met by these prices, taken from the biggest internet based camera store:

DA* 50-135: $1590
DA 12-24: $1700

Of course the Tokina is cheaper but I hope you see how lucky you are. I mean, half price isn't that bad
09-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is making lenses specifically designed for their own brand of cameras. Tokina is making third party lenses for other company's cameras. This makes a big difference in what the two of them can charge for their lenses -- even if they were exactly the same (which they aren't).

To put it differently, Nikon and Canon will always charge more for their lenses than Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina will charge for similar lenses, mounted on the same cameras. If the brand name and apparent quality aren't important to an individual, then third party lenses are definitely the way to go. Tokina has said, by the way, that they will only release their lenses in the mounts of brands that have at least five percent of the market -- one more reason to try to get your friends to buy Pentax.
09-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #11

Original Poster
I understand what you are saying, and I do agree. But I think even more so with Pentax, third party offerings are looked at because they compliment the system as opposed to competing with it. Sigma 100-300 F4, Sigma 10-20mm, 180mm Macros from various 3rd party companies compliment holes in the system for Pentax.. I think Pentax would be really hurting if Third party companies didn't offer anything for K mount.

If third party didn't exist for Nikon or Canon.. they would still thrive.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't see Nikon or Canon affiliates, cooperators etc. putting out lenses in other mounts. However, I would like to see a couple of the Tokina lenses in K-mount. However, the Tokina lenses lack the SMC and newer Pentax coatings. Is there a significant difference in the coatings? That is another thread.

However, I don't buy anyone's platform for "3rd Party" offerings. I certainly wouldn't go with Nikon primarily for anything other than Nikkor.
09-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #12

Original Poster
I am working on converting my father from Nikon already. He loves the idea of small primes. How do you like that DA 35mm by the way? I am still torn between that, and the other Pentax primes in that focal range.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
....Tokina has said, by the way, that they will only release their lenses in the mounts of brands that have at least five percent of the market -- one more reason to try to get your friends to buy Pentax.
09-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Third party lenses usuallt go cheaper.
The thing here is that here it's so easy to compare genuine Pentax brand lens to a third party lens since it's the same design. Just as it's always is but more obvious imo.
09-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The Pentax DA* versions have weather sealing, SMC coating and SDM ... the Tokina versions have none of those things afaik.

Saying that, the Tokina Canikon versions are virtually half the price in the UK.
09-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 35 is a great lens. Love the macro aspect of it. Really resistant to flare and has great colors and contrast. Probably the sharpest lens I own. The two down sides to it are that it is a little slow auto focusing (since it is a macro) and it is a little slower than the FA 35 f2.0 or the 31 f1.8 limited. When I was thinking about it, I decided that I wanted the macro ability on a walk around, more than I wanted a faster lens.