Essential in the great outdoors. Occasionally needed indoors. 4559.21%
Occasionally needed in the outdoors. Look very silly indoors. 79.21%
Mostly pretentious accessories for those with low self-esteem. 22.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always use a lens hood. And always a matching one (though it needs not to be the original one).
It is helpful in many situations, preventing flare and stray light also when using studio lighting and as a bumper to protect the lens, when you shoot with a lot of people around.
The rigid lens hood saved our Leica 180mm Apo lens, when it fell down onto stony ground once and even the pastic lens hood of the Pentax kit lens saved that one, when it rolled off a park bench once...

I have no idea, why anybody would believe a lens hood being obsolete or a show-off tool.

Ben

02-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those who are less concerned with "looking professional" and having the improved IQ of a lens hood: PDF lens hoods for Pentax lenses

I've got original plastic Pentax hoods for my FA35 f2 & kit lens. I've got original metal Pentax hoods for my 28mm (rectangular) & 135mm Super Takumar f3.5, my Super Takumar 150mm f4, and my 50mm f1.4 (all round).
02-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your first choice has far too many words; it should be just "Essential".

David
02-17-2010, 12:34 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
For those who are less concerned with "looking professional" and having the improved IQ of a lens hood: PDF lens hoods for Pentax lenses
Ah, there they are. Thanks. I'd been meaning to go looking for that site again: I have a couple of Sigmas made for full frame which could do with a bit of extension to the stock hoods for when I'm using them on the digital: both for the extra coverage, and hopefully to make them a bit less-imposing. Love my 28 1.8, but the lens is quite a beast. And I have a 28-105 zoom that could surely benefit a great deal from more hood coverage. My thought is, the right material of the right shape, perhaps maybe I can nest it inside or around the stock hood. I've been keeping an eye out for good materials. Sheet plastic would probably be ideal.

I don't know about others, but I find the petal hoods to be a bit more obtrusive/intimidating to some subjects than round ones. I like round plastic ones best, if I can find them. Though the old Pentax square ones are classy, too.

02-17-2010, 01:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always use a lens hood indoors as I have s many light source and if I do not wish to use flare creatively, I feel it a necessary accessory.