Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens cases

I have the original Pentax Takumar felt lined leather cases for about half of my Takumars. The others reside in canvas type Lowepro Sliplock & Adorama Slinger cases & Tenba lens wraps. As I've heard that leather cases promote fungus, would I be better off transferring all of my lenses into these more modern cases?

Last edited by raymeedc; 09-06-2009 at 04:17 PM.
09-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I have the original Pentax Takumar felt lined leather cases for about half of my Takumars. The others reside in canvas type Lowepro Sliplock & Adorama Slinger cases & Tenba lens wraps. As I've heard that leather cases promote fungus, would I be better off transferring all of my lenses into these more modern cases?
I have stored a couple K series lenses in their original hard leather cases for close to 35 years now and have had no issues. (Other than the leather drying out) All my other lenses are also in either hard or soft leather Pentax lens cases, now with a silica gel pack.

It’s more of a local climate issue, than a general statement that they would promote fungus. It all depends where you live and where in the house/apartment you keep your lenses.

Phil.
09-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

It all depends where you live and where in the house/apartment you keep your lenses.

Phil.
Brooklyn, New York, in a variety of canvas camera cases.
09-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brooklyn, New York, in a variety of canvas camera cases.
I wouldn’t worry being in Brooklyn, it’s not exactly tropical like the Philippines.
Stick a Silica Gel pack in each leather case & keep them upstairs away from a damp basement and you should have no issues.

Phil.

09-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most modern airco's have a dehumidifier attached, so your summer indoor humidity is around 30% - not a risk for your lenses.

I know this because the floor drain next to the air handler / dehumidifier in my cellar recently backed up - on a Sunday, of course. My airco kept dumping water into the drain, but it had nowhere to go.

I had to Wet Vac the cellar floor three times before the plumbers could get to me on Monday morning - 15 gallons each time. (I guess I could have just turned it off, but we didn't think of that until the plumber got here).

The clear dessicant packs I put in my bags and lens cases never even show a hint of pink.

Your airco takes a LOT of moisture out of the air.
09-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the original leather cases for most of my lenses and have never had any fungus issues. This is over a period of 20+ years. Bye-the-way, I'm still looking for a case for my K 200/2.5 if anyone has one. Where do you guys get the "clear dessicant " discussed above. I've had trouble finding here in Waterloo. I used to get it from the local computer store but the supply has "dried" up.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 09-06-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo
09-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I have the original leather cases for most of my lenses and have never had any fungus issues. This is over a period of 20+ years. Bye-the-way, I'm still looking for a case for my K 200/2.5 if anyone has one. Where do you guys get the "clear dessicant " discussed above. I've had trouble finding here in Waterloo. I used to get it from the local computer store but the supply has "dried" up.

Tom G
I used to buy and sell lenses on eBay.

A guy was collecting all the little packs that came with parts shipments from overseas. He packed them up into 100-pack bags and sold them on ebay for $10. I bought two bags and put one in everything I sold (still do). The printing on the packs is logogram - whether Chinese or Japanese characters I don't know, but probably Chinese, except "Do Not Eat"

I still have half a bag left.

There are industrial-size suppliers on the internet here Dessicant City and here Poly Lam Products. Supposedly Poly Lam sells a Mini Pax item in 140 pack lot for less than $40 and are very helpful. Maybe you can track down a retail source.

09-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I used to buy and sell lenses on eBay.

A guy was collecting all the little packs that came with parts shipments from overseas. He packed them up into 100-pack bags and sold them on ebay for $10. I bought two bags and put one in everything I sold (still do). The printing on the packs is logogram - whether Chinese or Japanese characters I don't know, but probably Chinese, except "Do Not Eat"

I still have half a bag left.

There are industrial-size suppliers on the internet here Dessicant City and here Poly Lam Products. Supposedly Poly Lam sells a Mini Pax item in 140 pack lot for less than $40 and are very helpful. Maybe you can track down a retail source.
Don't worry about the fungus in the case problem.Like the other guys who own them,they like myself have not had any problems with fungus.Like gofour3 said,use silica gel if you are concerned about fungus, keep them away from high moisture areas where it might cause these problems.
09-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
Don't worry about the fungus in the case problem.Like the other guys who own them,they like myself have not had any problems with fungus.Like gofour3 said,use silica gel if you are concerned about fungus, keep them away from high moisture areas where it might cause these problems.
I never have, either. But if I have the left-over packets it doesn't hurt anything to put one in each hard lens case and one in each slot in my camera bag.

After all, Pentax and Tamron do it
09-07-2009, 02:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As I've heard that leather cases promote fungus, would I be better off transferring all of my lenses into these more modern cases?
The first point to make are that Takumars are items of beauty, so why hide them away in leather cases? So long as they have caps you do not need to worry about dust. Certainly if you use the lenses where they may get wet, leave them out of the case for a while to dry out.

The only lens I have that had fungus is a 47 year old Super Takumar 28/3.5 that is in mint condition. Clearly it had been in the leather case 47 years, and it had a touch of fungus. It was fairly easy to get to the fungus and clean it. (I am in the UK, BTW, so it's hardly a humid place.) So unless you are intending to keep your Takumars in their cases for 40+ years (if so, shame on you, they should be used!) you probably won't get fungus just from the case.

But as I said, they are sculptures, so display them!

Richard
09-07-2009, 04:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
The first point to make are that Takumars are items of beauty......... they are sculptures

Richard
True enough!
09-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote

Tom G
I'm also looking for the original K200/2.5 case. The lens is a unique size, so other Pentax cases do not work.

Along with the other sites mentioned, I have bought Silica Gel packs from this site:

SilicaGelPackets.com - Desiccant Products to Prevent Moisture Damage!

Phil.
09-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm also looking for the original K200/2.5 case. The lens is a unique size, so other Pentax cases do not work.

Along with the other sites mentioned, I have bought Silica Gel packs from this site:

Phil.
I just visited this site. What sized packet would you recommend for a typical lens case?
09-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Phil.
Thanks for the heads up Phil. I saw a K 200/2.5 case a year or so ago on EBAY. It looked pretty beat up so I passed. I haven't seen one since. A rare beast indeed.

Tom G
09-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Banned

I have 5 BNIB (or they were when I bought them) Takumars, the oldest being the macro-takumar (or maybe the Tele-Takumar?) and not one had any fungus. I store all of my Takumars in their leather cases with a simple silica packet. I live in costal Georgia. its humid. but I have no problems. the humidity in my house hovers around 35% in the summer (when air-conditioning is running at its most constant) and about 45-50% during the winter.