Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #1

Un-coated Takumar Lenses

Back again. So I've been researching these Takumar lenses I have, and I realized that they are un-coated. The two 135mm are "original" Takumars and the 55mm is an Auto Takumar. I looked through the Market place and it looks like everything sellins is either a Super Takumar or an SMC Takumar. Is anyone going to want to buy these lenses, and for how much? I teach photography at a community college, and I'm trying to figure out whether I can sell these lenses, or if they are so undesirable that I should just give them (+ camera) to one of my students that can't afford a camera of their own.

Thanks again in advance!

09-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Some of the non-multicoated Takumar lenses have great, justified reputations, like the135/2.5.

I think the main benefit of multricoating is to reduce flare and loss of contrast, especially if there are many elements & groups. Some simple non-coated lenses with hoods can do very well indeed; one example is the 50mm Macro-Takumar 1:4.

Dave in Iowa

Last edited by newarts; 09-06-2009 at 07:03 PM.
09-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
....I think the main benefit of coating is to reduce flare and loss of contrast, ...
I thought coating would increase the contrast. So have I got it wrong?
09-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
I thought coating would increase the contrast. So have I got it wrong?
You are correct, coating increases contrast..... Newarts was a little unclear in his explanation.

09-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just picked up an Auto-Takumar 55mm f/2.2 and I really like the look it gives.

Horses for courses...go ahead and give them away if you can't sell them in a week or two, but I guarantee somebody here will be interested if you give good descriptions and pictures.
09-07-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
Banned

as far as I know, all m42 Takumars are coated. I cant speak for m37 Asahi-Kogaku Takumars but if its m42 is coated. it may even be multi-coated. Asahi Optical didnt specify any coatings until the Super-Takumar lenses. these were indeed multi-coated, they were just not SMC. Asahi Optical kept SMC very distinct and separate from earlier coatings, as at the time (and still) it is one of if not the best multi-coating you can get on a lens. I have several Auto-Takumars and they are all coated. but the earlier coatings are still much more prone to flare and light loss, so if you have a hood, I suggest always using it.

give us some photos of the lenses and their condition, I assure you there will be people interested in purchasing them. for both personal use and collecting.
09-07-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, for me the main fault of the M42 mount is that it isn't old enough for there to be true uncoated lenses! But the single coated Autos etc are lovely indeed. While SMC is undoubtedly a technical advance, I like to have a choice of flavor in my flare.

09-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Yes, for me the main fault of the M42 mount is that it isn't old enough for there to be true uncoated lenses! But the single coated Autos etc are lovely indeed. While SMC is undoubtedly a technical advance, I like to have a choice of flavor in my flare.
agreed, in most situations, I actually prefer the look at get from my auto-takumars over my later super, s-m-c and SMC takumars.
09-07-2009, 04:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
as far as I know, all m42 Takumars are coated. I cant speak for m37 Asahi-Kogaku Takumars but if its m42 is coated.
AFAIK all lenses AOCo made after the war are coated. I have a wartime AOCo trench periscope and it's uncoated. All of the Made In Occupied Japan AOCo binoculars I own, made before the first Asahiflex, are coated. So, it won't come as a surprise that all Asahiflex lenses were coated too.
09-07-2009, 05:09 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
AFAIK all lenses AOCo made after the war are coated. I have a wartime AOCo trench periscope and it's uncoated. All of the Made In Occupied Japan AOCo binoculars I own, made before the first Asahiflex, are coated. So, it won't come as a surprise that all Asahiflex lenses were coated too.
this is what I figured (and something told me you would know and chime in ) but since I didn't know for sure, I couldn't say. coated optics weren't a new thing even as far back as the 30's on some lenses, so it would certainly make sense. I have a pair of 'Coated Optics" Asahi Optical binoculars as well. really nice aren't they? I would love to come visit you and see your collection of Asahi Optical goodies (among other brands) just going on what I see over on MFLenses I envision your collection to be more than drool worthy...
09-07-2009, 05:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't think you'll have a lack of interest in your M42 lenses, all of the old Taks (Supers, SMCs, whatever) seem to have quite a following.

Of course, it might be nice to give them to a needy student anyway if you don't plan to use them yourself
09-07-2009, 05:16 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
I don't think you'll have a lack of interest in your M42 lenses, all of the old Taks (Supers, SMCs, whatever) seem to have quite a following.

Of course, it might be nice to give them to a needy student anyway if you don't plan to use them yourself
its not a lack of interest in Takumars, its a lack of interest in Pre-Super Takumars that the Op was wondering about. Auto-Takumars and Takumars.
09-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
its not a lack of interest in Takumars, its a lack of interest in Pre-Super Takumars that the Op was wondering about. Auto-Takumars and Takumars.
Quite right, sorry I meant to say "...(Pre-Supers, Pre-SMCs, whatever) seem to have quite a following." I just meant that the Taks garner a lot of interest from anyone who's used them, coated or un(/lesser)coated alike. They may not fetch a lot of money compared to their coated brethren, but they're still bound to get some interest be it from collectors or bargain hunters.

Further, as you pointed out séamuis, some people might even prefer them: "I actually prefer the look at get from my auto-takumars over my later super, s-m-c and SMC takumars."

Apologies for the confusion.
09-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Both of those are from the Auto-Takumar 55/2. Click on the photo of the dragonfly to check out a larger version.....then somebody explain to me why on earth anybody wouldn't want this lens.
09-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteQuote:
en somebody explain to me why on earth anybody wouldn't want this lens.
christ mike, what are trying to do? your going to drive up the prices.... glad I got mine already.