Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #1

Lens resale value, hoods and boxes...

Hi,

I buy lenses, I keep the boxes. This is upon the assumption that it will marginally increase the resale value over lenses where the boxes have been tossed. Sure, some of the boxes have the barcodes clipped off for the sake of rebates etc...but I like to keep everything that the lens came with as a matter of course.

My question to you is am I being paranoid? over the top? obsessive?

I also keep my boxes for cameras, flashes, (even tripods).

Would you pass on a good lens in good condition if it didn't have the box? would it make you think twice or lower what you would offer? It's wierd because when I buy second hand I don't care - I just imagine other people do and play it safe.

09-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If there are two lenses in the same condition, one with box and one without box, with the same price, I'll take the one with box. Once price comes into play, I'll take the cheaper lens without box anyday.

This is just me though...
09-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I keep the original boxes of everything that potentially can be resold at a later time, which includes all camera related stuff as well as electronics (computers, gaming consoles, etc.).

You will *always* get the same or better sale price with the original boxes intact, so if you can afford it (i.e., have the space for it), there is no reason *not* to keep the boxes. Also, I've learned over the years that having those boxes can come in real handy when you have to move.
09-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Box? Don't care, except that it helps me an an impression the lens has possibly been well-card for. But hoods? That's something of real value. If a lens is supposed to come with a hood, I youldn't buy one without it unless the price were marked down accordingly snd I knew the hood would be easy to pick up separately.

09-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am with Marc. The box is an indication that the lens has probably been well cared for. Ditto for accessories included as part of the original package. A good example would be my Tamron Adaptall-2 28/2.5. When new, the lens came with:
  • Instructions
  • Tamron flat pinch-type lens cap
  • Custom hard case with Tamron name, focal length, and max aperture embossed on the top, model number on the bottom
  • Clear Adaptall-2 end cap
Usually, the first to disappear would be the instructions followed by the clear end cap and Tamron lens cap. Why the very sturdy case should disappear would be a mystery to me unless it was grossly worn or water damaged. So no case with an Adaptall-2 lens is a red flag.

Another good example would be any recent Zenitar 16/2.8 Fish-eye. Those lenses sell with padded fabric case, proprietary front cap, end cap, and four rear-mounting filters (one normally attached to the rear of lens). Lack of the front cap is an automatic $35 decrease in price since that is about what a replacement will cost you. If the case and filters are missing, you have to ask yourself, why?

Steve
09-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
A lens without it's hood is a tragedy. I've twice replaced the hood on my 50-135 now because it got bashed but the truth is that if the hood hadn't been there, at least once I'd probably have had to replace my 50-135, which wouldn't have been great.
09-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Boxes belong in the recycling bin as far as I'm concerned but hoods and caps are serious photographic equipment.
09-08-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I keep the boxes and the paperwork so that I have something to ship the lens in should I sell it at a later date.

Whether a used lens has them or not isn't important for me, however caps and hoods are important and are part of the lens itself.

c[_]

09-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #9

Lens + hood = requirement for full resale value.

Lens + hood + box + accessories = perceived value for the buyer and makes it a heck of a lot easier to ship it to someone if you sell it.

I always like to get the box but that's only because I always keep mine.

Pentax User + Limited Lenses + Boxes = Happy Pentax User