Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #1

M42 adapter available from Pentax

Hello, I apologize if everyone here already knows this, but the Pentax USA online store has the genuine M42 to K-mount adapter available for $30 + shipping. There seems to have been a lot of discussion about this (at least in the past). I've been watching Ebay for a long time and they always seem to go for around $50! Why not just buy it new from Pentax for $30???? I was frustrated about getting overbid by a dollar every time and then today I almost actually won one, but found out it was one of the knock-offs! Fortunately I got overbid (by $0.50) so I wasn't stuck paying $30 for a piece of junk. After that I wised up, did some research and found this link and bought it.

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)

Thanks to the information I found on this cool website....

Hin's Tech Corner: Genuine Pentax M42 to K Adapter

09-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of the time, posts on this site link to the Pentax Web store. Why people are willing to pay inflated prices on eBay is anyone's guess.

Steve

P.S. Congratulations on finding the source for the real thing. You will not be sorry.
09-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ebay is a risk with the adapters. I bought mine off Ebay only because more trustworthy suppliers like the Pentax web store were out of stock. Just make sure it has the Pentax engraving in its face.
09-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Because you can get Genuine Pentax adapter only in US or it costs as much as the kit lens here in local stores?

Or because you can actually get one from ebay for $5.99 and it does the trick. Of course i had to remove the spring and sand of a bitt of it to avoid getting it stuck and make it fit. But this is a basic piece of cheap metal. It should not cost even 2$ i think.

09-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I have about 12 of these.
M42 Lens to Pentax Mount Adapter for K20D K10D K200D - eBay (item 400064804795 end time Sep-28-09 08:20:39 PDT)

I take off the spring and leave the adapter on the lens. Never had a problem with them.
09-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I looked into getting this, but do they only ship in the US?
09-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Inactive Account

They will ship worldwide from Hong Kong.
09-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daveo76 Quote
Hello, I apologize if everyone here already knows this, but the Pentax USA online store has the genuine M42 to K-mount adapter available for $30 + shipping. There seems to have been a lot of discussion about this (at least in the past). I've been watching Ebay for a long time and they always seem to go for around $50! Why not just buy it new from Pentax for $30???? I was frustrated about getting overbid by a dollar every time and then today I almost actually won one, but found out it was one of the knock-offs! Fortunately I got overbid (by $0.50) so I wasn't stuck paying $30 for a piece of junk. After that I wised up, did some research and found this link and bought it.

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)

Thanks to the information I found on this cool website....

Hin's Tech Corner: Genuine Pentax M42 to K Adapter
Thank you for the kind words. Having used various third party adapters and three different versions of the genuine adapter from Pentax, I always recommend the genuine one over the 3rd party. That is especially the case if you plan to re-use the adapter using the default method of mounting the adapter on body first. That is, you use one adapter for all of your m42 lens. Yes, it is a bit to get used to the mounting and dismounting, quite a panic moment the first time. The 3rd party adapter does have its value when you plan to mount the adapter per m42 lens but you need to be careful with the lens you use, not all m42 lens can be converted to K mount.

For the 3rd party adapters, some lens are more suitable to be converted than others. You can have permanent mount with the spring plate removed and mount the adapter semi-permanently on individual lens as WildLifePhotog has mentioned. But be warned on the conversion that may not be suitable to perform for all lenses. Some lens mount will be too small to hold the locking pin in place making the adapter not securing the lens in place. Other cases include heavy lens not suitable for the conversion for similar reason.

You can search all other articles labeled "m42 adapter"

Hin's Tech Corner: m42 adapter

as I continue to add articles when I learn something new. The latest article includes a valuable youtube video by a wonderful Pentaxian offering instruction on his mounting/dismounting with Jupiter 9 85mm f/2.0 (m42).

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 09-08-2009 at 04:29 PM.
09-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Inactive Account

One additional note on non Pentax adapters. If you are going to leave the spring on the adapter, use a dot of glue or Locktite on the screw threads of the small screw retaining the spring. This is will stop the usual complaint of the spring jamming in the mount.
09-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
One additional note on non Pentax adapters. If you are going to leave the spring on the adapter, use a dot of glue or Locktite on the screw threads of the small screw retaining the spring. This is will stop the usual complaint of the spring jamming in the mount.
That is a wonderful bits of advice. I have not thought about that at all. I had my panic moment with the Bower adapter which worked extraordinary well like the genuine adapter with the exception of needing an extra dismounting tool plate. It was only after frequent use of like few months and I found the screw and spring plate was worn and get jammed on my K100D body.

Thanks for sharing the tips with us.

Hin
09-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Recently I have seen genuine Pentax adapters on ebay for $25 shipping included. This was after I bought mine from the webstore.
09-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Thank you for the kind words. Having used various third party adapters and three different versions of the genuine adapter from Pentax, I always recommend the genuine one over the 3rd party. That is especially the case if you plan to re-use the adapter using the default method of mounting the adapter on body first. That is, you use one adapter for all of your m42 lens. Yes, it is a bit to get used to the mounting and dismounting, quite a panic moment the first time. The 3rd party adapter does have its value when you plan to mount the adapter per m42 lens but you need to be careful with the lens you use, not all m42 lens can be converted to K mount.

For the 3rd party adapters, some lens are more suitable to be converted than others. You can have permanent mount with the spring plate removed and mount the adapter semi-permanently on individual lens as WildLifePhotog has mentioned. But be warned on the conversion that may not be suitable to perform for all lenses. Some lens mount will be too small to hold the locking pin in place making the adapter not securing the lens in place. Other cases include heavy lens not suitable for the conversion for similar reason.

You can search all other articles labeled "m42 adapter"

Hin's Tech Corner: m42 adapter

as I continue to add articles when I learn something new. The latest article includes a valuable youtube video by a wonderful Pentaxian offering instruction on his mounting/dismounting with Jupiter 9 85mm f/2.0 (m42).

Thanks,
Hin
Hey, great advise on BOTH the genuine and third party adapter. We need good info for our choices and you delivered!!!!! As I say on my positive feedback for EBAY, A++++++!!
09-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #13

Original Poster
It arrived

Well, the genuine Pentax adapter finally arrived today - in its little green pouch and everything. Definitely worth the extra cash, imho. Goes in smooth, locks well, and very easy to take out. No worries about a lens falling off or getting stuck. I had the $10 kind that use the tool before, but recently lost it and now I'm glad I did. It never worked very well. Now I can use my favorite Takumars and other screwmounts without worry!
09-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

$30 CAN pickup from most of the camera stores in Victoria....
09-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daveo76 Quote
Well, the genuine Pentax adapter finally arrived today - in its little green pouch and everything. Definitely worth the extra cash, imho. Goes in smooth, locks well, and very easy to take out. No worries about a lens falling off or getting stuck. I had the $10 kind that use the tool before, but recently lost it and now I'm glad I did. It never worked very well. Now I can use my favorite Takumars and other screwmounts without worry!
Question, did you get the version that allows the takumar focus scale to be perfectly centered?