Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Sears, J C Penny

Who actually makes the Sears and J C Penny brand lenses, or are they farmed out depending what year or mm size etc, are there any that stand out?

09-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

As far as I understand most of them are Japanese, some Korean.
And it is almost impossible to find original manufacturer.
Even same lens can have different manufacturers depending of time.
09-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's very hard to tell who made what. However, check the "Sears Club" here in this subforum and you'll see that Sears sold some excellent lenses.
09-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jcool Quote
Who actually makes the Sears and J C Penny brand lenses, or are they farmed out depending what year or mm size etc, are there any that stand out?
The Sears TLS M42 lenses came from Tokina as that 's where Ricoh, maker of most TLS models, was sourcing many of their's. Later lenses of the K mount era came from several different makers in Japan and Korea.

The few Penney lenses I've seen look like Makina, Cima and Samyang but I've seen very few.

09-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by casualcollector Quote
The Sears TLS M42 lenses came from Tokina as that 's where Ricoh, maker of most TLS models, was sourcing many of their's. Later lenses of the K mount era came from several different makers in Japan and Korea.

The few Penney lenses I've seen look like Makina, Cima and Samyang but I've seen very few.
Tokina for the Ricoh/Sears M42s? I had always heard that the Auto-Rikenons were Tomioka (along with the other *nons). Do you have a reference? I "control" the third-party review article for the Auto-Rikenon 50/1.7 and will consider revising the lens origin if you can provide a good reference.

Steve
09-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by casualcollector Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Tokina for the Ricoh/Sears M42s? I had always heard that the Auto-Rikenons were Tomioka (along with the other *nons). Do you have a reference? I "control" the third-party review article for the Auto-Rikenon 50/1.7 and will consider revising the lens origin if you can provide a good reference.

Steve
All I can say is thanks, and good luck.

Who made what and when in the world of lens production from 40, 50yrs ago right up to present day is so convoluted and confusing that I've become convinced we'll never know for sure.

About the *nons... One of those fast 55mm lenses was labeled Cosinon, right? And, many modern 55mm f1.2 lenses are Cosina lenses, says so right on the beauty ring. Modern Carl Ziess MF 35mm lenses are produced for Zeiss via Cosina. Cosina made lenses and 35mm SLRs for just about everyone including probably our very own Pentax.

So, I think Cosina made a lot of lenses past and present that are referred to as Tomioka. Tomioka was certainly a producer of lenses in the '50's and '60's as was Cosina and Tokina and Tamron and... well... It's dark this deep in the weeds. Like Zeiss designed lenses of way back gave rise to very similar designs by other producers, I think many so called Tomioka lenses are more inspired by Tomioka design rather than actually produced by Tomioka manufacturing.

Again, good luck.

Regards,
Mike
09-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote

Again, good luck.

There is so much truth to this. In the 1970s speculation was that almost all of the third-party and many of the name brand lenses were actually being made by Tamron. During most of the history of the Japanese camera industry, there was quite a bit of "cross pollination" between manufacturers. This applied to bodies and accessories as well as lenses. Probably the most famous is the Nikon F-mount Ricoh Singlex (AKA Nikon Nikkorex F, Sears SL11). Definitely not made by Nikon, probably made by Mamiya/Sekor, design eventually licensed by Ricoh? And who made the some of the lens that were available for this baby? The Nikon(Mamiya) versions were labeled Nikkorex on one side and Sekor on the other.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-09-2009 at 10:56 PM.
09-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote

About the *nons... One of those fast 55mm lenses was labeled Cosinon, right? And, many modern 55mm f1.2 lenses are Cosina lenses, says so right on the beauty ring. Modern Carl Ziess MF 35mm lenses are produced for Zeiss via Cosina. Cosina made lenses and 35mm SLRs for just about everyone including probably our very own Pentax.
The quip about the *nons applies generally to M42 lenses from the 60s to the early 70s. Most of these are extremely similar between brands and are speculated to have a common source (Tomioka). Tomioka was later purchased by Kyocera (along with Yashica) and made the highly regarded Zeiss-branded optics for Contax SLRs.

Steve

09-10-2009, 03:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Extremely intesting is also popular fast long zooms for M42 and other mounts.
Like 80-200 F3.5 or 70-210 F3.5. I really don't know who actually made them.
I saw them under Minolta, Soligor, Focal and Sears labels (i don't mention Vivitar here with their famous zooms). They are all slightly different, but very similar anyways. Weigh a ton. But build qulity is very good.