Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

(Split) A vs K 50 F1:1.2

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Small point, but this is K-series, not M-series.
You mean not "A".... If i'm not mistaken, there was never an M50/1.2...

but you're right about your "point"...

09-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
some people often misinterpret a K lens for an M, simply because of the lack of the letter K and because K and M both have no auto-aperture control or both are manual (which people know as M lens). so in a way, it can be confusing to some.
09-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, I was one of them. I had a manual 35mm f3.5 with no specific lettering, and I assumed it was a K but it could have been an M. Or something in between.

Heck, even Bojidar Dimitrov called it a K, even though it said nothing to that effect.
09-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Yep, I was one of them. I had a manual 35mm f3.5 with no specific lettering, and I assumed it was a K but it could have been an M. Or something in between.

Heck, even Bojidar Dimitrov called it a K, even though it said nothing to that effect.
not to mention 50 1.2 and 50 1:2. now that's even more confusing.

09-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
not to mention 50 1.2 and 50 1:2. now that's even more confusing.
Well, not really, because the numbers are actually 1 : 1.2 and 1 : 2.0 . It's just the shorthand that gets some people.
09-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Any Pentax bayonet mount lens that does not have “mm” after the focal length will always be an original K series lens (SMC PENTAX 1:1.2/50 from 1975-1977)

In 1977 onwards all Pentax lenses had “mm” after the focal length. (smc PENTAX 1:1.2 50mm)

The lens for sale here is the original K series 50/1.2 and is the most desirable version of this lens.

Phil.
09-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Forum Member

Thanks, all. Here in Japan, this is refered to as the SMCM 50/1.2 vice the SMCA 50/1.2. They do not refer to any lenes that I have seen as the SMCK 50/1.2, but I am rather new to pentax. I also have great feedback on Fredmiranda.com and eBay in case anyone was worried about my trustworthiness.
09-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Any Pentax bayonet mount lens that does not have “mm” after the focal length will always be an original K series lens (SMC PENTAX 1:1.2/50 from 1975-1977)

In 1977 onwards all Pentax lenses had “mm” after the focal length. (smc PENTAX 1:1.2 50mm)

The lens for sale here is the original K series 50/1.2 and is the most desirable version of this lens.

Phil.
Thanks for the info.

The lens looks great, best of luck with the sale. I have one myself, and can attest that it has lovely rendering

09-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
Actually the "A" is the most desirable due to auto-aperture, having more blades and being just a tack sharper than the "K"...
09-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Actually the "A" is the most desirable due to auto-aperture, having more blades and being just a tack sharper than the "K"...
Please don't let the door hit you on the way out of my thread. This is not what most people have experienced from the A vs the K. Regardless this lens is tack sharp.
09-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TWoK Quote
This is not what most people have experienced from the A vs the K. Regardless this lens is tack sharp.
If you say so...

Nobody said that the K isn't sharp... I had one and I can vouch for it...

For the others, do your homework and find out why "A"-s go for almost double the price of "K"-s....
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sure is pretty. Wish I had the cash for it.
09-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
If you say so...

Nobody said that the K isn't sharp... I had one and I can vouch for it...

For the others, do your homework and find out why "A"-s go for almost double the price of "K"-s....
When Jim King tested the fast fiftys, he found the K 50/1.2 to be a better performer than the A 50/1.2. (The other tested were A50/1.4 and A50/1.7). :
"
- At f1.2, the K50/1.2 was slightly sharper than the A50/1.2 in the corners and they were about equal in the center. Both showed lower contrast compared to their performance at smaller apertures.

- At f1.4, the K50/1.2 was again sharper in the corners and the two 1.2s were about equal in the center. Both 1.2 lenses were sharper than the 1.4. Contrast of the 1.2s was much improved.

- At f2.0, the K1.2 was still the sharpest in the corners with the other three about equal. All four lenses were about equal in the center.

- At F2.8 the K1.2 and A1.4 were slightly sharper in the corners than the other two, which were about equal. All four lenses were about equal in the center.

- At f4.0 and above the differences between lenses were not significant, and the center was as good as the corners."

When I was buying, just prior to the jump in prices of used Pentax glass, right before the K10 hit the streets; I could have gotten the A version for about the same price as the K version. I choose the K 50/1.2, and am very happy that I did.

They share the same optical formula, of 7 elements in 6 groups, and are about identically built. Maybe the K version a bit more solid.
09-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
When Jim King tested the fast fiftys, he found the K 50/1.2 to be a better performer than the A 50/1.2. (The other tested were A50/1.4 and A50/1.7). :
"
- At f1.2, the K50/1.2 was slightly sharper than the A50/1.2 in the corners and they were about equal in the center. Both showed lower contrast compared to their performance at smaller apertures.

- At f1.4, the K50/1.2 was again sharper in the corners and the two 1.2s were about equal in the center. Both 1.2 lenses were sharper than the 1.4. Contrast of the 1.2s was much improved.

- At f2.0, the K1.2 was still the sharpest in the corners with the other three about equal. All four lenses were about equal in the center.

- At F2.8 the K1.2 and A1.4 were slightly sharper in the corners than the other two, which were about equal. All four lenses were about equal in the center.

- At f4.0 and above the differences between lenses were not significant, and the center was as good as the corners."

When I was buying, just prior to the jump in prices of used Pentax glass, right before the K10 hit the streets; I could have gotten the A version for about the same price as the K version. I choose the K 50/1.2, and am very happy that I did.

They share the same optical formula, of 7 elements in 6 groups, and are about identically built. Maybe the K version a bit more solid.
I don't think this is the right place for this kind of debate. might be useful if start a new thread under the Pentax lens section. pretty nice discussion I would say. please show photo comparisons for the benefit of all.

btw, both lenses are excellent and have pros and cons. they excel in certain areas that their own counterpart don't. and those pros and cons reflect the price for each lens.
09-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread has been split for your convenience!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: