Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #16

^ Oh my God! Those are beautiful! I have lots to learn!!!

09-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #17
Forum Member

Thank you very much.

I forgot that I had a couple more that I liked. Here you guys go!

And look at the crazy lens flare this lens gives you sometimes:

That is NOT photoshopped or enhanced. Just insane, eh?
09-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #18

Wow Drewski! Your photos are fantastic! I have the Sigma 10-20 and love it as well but need to get out there and use it more, you've inspired me now!
09-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
dude those photos are awesome!I have been lovin this lens for the last week ive had it!going on a road trip up north,australia in a couple a days,so hopefully i can manage some awesomly creative shots like dubious!
nice

09-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Im really considering getting a Sigma 10-20 for my K10D and KM. I'm concerned though about reports indicating that some lens are ok and some are not so ok.

Any suggestions re; checking and choosing...
09-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #21
Forum Member

Thanks everyone, for the kind words.

lesmore49, I've heard this too. I suppose I lucked out and got a good copy. I work at a camera shop, so I'm always taking photos using the display 10-20s we have on the shelf. I've never noticed anything drastically wrong with the clarity from any of them (And I've used many different copies, and for all mounts too - Canon Nikon Sony, etc)

I'm pretty sure the sample variance is a real problem, but it's not as bad as some people might say.

Last edited by Dubious Drewski; 09-21-2009 at 11:11 AM.
09-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Dubious Drewski: You make me want to post a few of my own 10-20 shots!

Awesome shots!

09-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Sounds like we have the same filter:

Hoya Pro1 Digital 77mm MC UV(0) Made in Japan

Maybe i overemphasized the flare, its happened in about 3 situations which is a small number compared to its use.

Its a good lens but i hven't used it enough to master it :-)
I use the same combo and the Hoya Pro1 Digitals can cause flare in advers situations. I recently shot a wedding and had an assistant holding a flash at 90 deg and above the coupple, just out side the field of view of my FA 28-75. I got considerable contrast loss and a milky reflection from that flash. With the filter removed, the situation was much improved. Filters have their place, but one must always be prepared to remove it in certain conditions.

Ben
09-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow nice pictures! Wich version of the lens you guys bought? the F3.5 or th F4-5.6? Is there a big difference in IQ? This lens is on my current list of possible buys very soon.
09-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I should have never stumbled on this thread. Forget about the DA*50-135. I'm getting a Sigma 10-20 and I'm getting it now. Mr Dubious Drewski did this to me. By the way Drewski, did you do any lens correction for distortion on the pic of the model? They look quite flattering for pictures taken with a wide angle lens
09-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
Wow nice pictures! Which version of the lens you guys bought? the F3.5 or the F4-5.6? Is there a big difference in IQ?
I bought the f4-5.6 version when it first came out, and there wasn't an f3.5 version. Although when I first bought mine, it was retailing for $200 cheaper than it does now! I think that demand became much higher once word got out that it didn't suck. I hear the new version is physically 10mm taller and wider, and takes great images like its little brother. I want it. I don't need it, but I want it.

QuoteOriginally posted by afroed Quote
I should have never stumbled on this thread. Forget about the DA*50-135. I'm getting a Sigma 10-20 and I'm getting it now. Mr Dubious Drewski did this to me.
Haha. Thanks for that.

QuoteOriginally posted by afroed Quote
By the way Drewski, did you do any lens correction for distortion on the pic of the model? They look quite flattering for pictures taken with a wide angle lens
No corrections were done to fix distortion. Some of them are cropped in slightly, but they're otherwise just as they were shot. If you position the important parts of a person in the middle of the frame (like the head) then the distortion is less noticeable. But if you look closely at anything not in the middle of the frame, like her legs, you can see that they are distorted in each shot - a price I was willing to pay to get such a neat angle.

People usually nitpick about the leg distortion though. I'm glad you guys aren't!
10-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey everyone I've been soaking up all the info on wide lenses that I can, I'm pretty much sold on the sigma, but I want to shoot some mountain bike stuff in rather dark forests, do you think the new F3.5 might serve my purposes beter than the standard?
10-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
wow drewski, those are some fantastic images! you clearly know how to get the most out of that very fine lens. i always enjoy looking at images from the lens and i think it can make for some magic landscapes. well done!

i especially liked the orange bridge and the windmill shot!
10-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubious Drewski Quote
Those are great. You make me want to post a few of my own 10-20 shots!

As you can see, I've had a ton of fun with my 10-20!
(imgs not quoted)
Those are really nice shots - I got a Sig 10-20 recently, but haven't even started "getting" the use of it. It seems you've got the hang of dramatic use of UWA very well :-)
/Jens
10-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Amazing stuff, Drewski--the in-vehicle shot just made me want to dance!

I've had mine for a couple of years now but I've tended to the long side of the spectrum and, until recently, only used it when I really needed UWA--it was the only way to get that 'commissioned' building shot, for example. About a month ago, I decided that I really needed to 'bond' with it and have been putting it on the camera for walk-around shooting. I'm loving it!

Here are a few by way of establishing that the lens can be put to use by mere mortals.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo