Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been after an ultra wide zoom for some time now and I have nearly saved enough to get one. Seeing the amazing photos here is making it difficuly to be patient whilst I save the rest.
As the pentax wide zooms are rather pricey the choice is really between the Tamron 10-24 and the Sigma 10-20. These both appear to be around the same price here and I'm having some trouble trying to figure out which one to go for. The Sigma has been arround longer and has a very good reputation but the Tamron is faster and has the larger zoom range. Any thoughts or suggestions?

10-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Mattgun: Any thoughts or suggestions?
For both lenses: see many pictures, read the specs, and decide what is most important to you--then go with your heart.
10-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #33
Veteran Member

it's really kinda tough to choose between these 2 lens. the advantage of the Sigma is the HSM and great at 10mm while the Tamron has the extra 4mm for more versatility. not to mention that it's performance from 12-18 is more consistent and solid as opposed to the Sigma. these 2 lenses have poor corners and edges so the extra wideness would be pretty much useless IMO. so probably you need to crop off those corners.

I prefer the tamron's colors, but the Sigma's sharpness is better. so if I were to chose, I would get the Sigma. besides, the 24mm fl is reserved for a much better prime lens.
10-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #34
Pentaxian

how long has the HSM version been out in pentax mount?
and are there any reviews of this specific version?

10-19-2009, 12:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
how long has the HSM version been out in pentax mount?
and are there any reviews of this specific version?
just recently.

and here is a review of that particular model. Sigma 10-20 mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

as a summary, you can't go wrong with either the 1st or 2nd version. both have pros and cons over the other. if you have enough cash, the HSM version seems to be a better investment. if you don't have the cash, the 1st version will do. although I don't think that either lens would be as equally good as the Pentax 12-24 IQ-wise, but atleast the new one narrowed the gap between it and the 12--24. as for operation, I think the 10-20 HSM is a nice function especially with concerns to speed focus. however, because of this, expect that the lens would be much more heavier than the 12-24. the problem of having an HSM function is weight.
10-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments they are much appreciated.
If only the new f/3.5 version has HSM then the this extra advantage will not affect my decision - it way to expensive for me at the moment.
I have read that both the tamron and sigma tend to hunt at the shorter end and since I quite like MF it would be good to know how the focus rings feel on them both - any comments on this?
The other thing that makes the extra 4mm on the tamron desirable is that the only lens I currently have bellow 28mm is the kit lens which is OK but I would like something better.
I think that the new f/3.5 sigma would be my first choice (if funding allowed) but in the absence of adequate funding I'm tending towards the tamron over the older and slower sigma.
10-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #37
Pentaxian

the constant aperture is more important to me than the hsm... though i've never had a hsm lens before so maybe it will become important.
10-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
the constant aperture is more important to me than the hsm... though i've never had a hsm lens before so maybe it will become important.
well the new version has HSM and constant aperture. so that will work out perfectly. eventhough HSM is supposed to silence or muffle the focus motor noise, it does affect or increase speed as well. judging from the focusing performance of HSM lenses.

10-20-2009, 07:04 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I'll be buying one shortly
10-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #40

Ive just paid and ordered for a Sigma 10-20, It says it is a F4-5.6 ex dc hsm for a pentax K10d. From what I have read here the HSM is F3.5. AM i correct or the seller incorect.
John
https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/index.php/lenses/sigma-lenses/sigma-dc-lens...or-pentax.html
10-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
Ive just paid and ordered for a Sigma 10-20, It says it is a F4-5.6 ex dc hsm for a pentax K10d. From what I have read here the HSM is F3.5. AM i correct or the seller incorect.
John
https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/index.php/lenses/sigma-lenses/sigma-dc-lens...or-pentax.html
You will find (or have by now already found) that the seller is wrong. It is a common mistake or oversight in using one description for this particular model for all mount variations...sort of a copy and paste blind spot. This lens in Nikon and Canon mount (prob Sigma mount as well) do have HSM, but the Pentax version does not. The newer version of the lens released as a constant aperture f3.5 does have the HSM focus in Pentax mount.
10-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #42

The HSM is nice. It focused great on my Nikon. The only issue with these lenses is the quality control. Some produce tack sharp images from the get go, and others come soft and will need to be sent back for repair. It seems like you either get a winner or a dud right from the factory... and once its taking sharp photos it seems like it will be reliable from that point on.
10-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I love the Sigma 10-20mm, absolute classic. It spends more time on my K20D than any other lens.
10-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtags24 Quote
The HSM is nice. It focused great on my Nikon. The only issue with these lenses is the quality control. Some produce tack sharp images from the get go, and others come soft and will need to be sent back for repair. It seems like you either get a winner or a dud right from the factory... and once its taking sharp photos it seems like it will be reliable from that point on.
thank goodness I got the 12-24 instead. so far so good, no IQ sharpness problems at all.
10-30-2009, 04:15 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtags24 Quote
We all know, that a certain amount of lenses during a production run will be faulty. But I would not overestimate that. Your chance to get a good copy is very much higher, than the rare occurence of a bad sample.

We had a specific thread in the past about the colported quality problems of Sigma and it turned out, that almost all buyers got a good lens from day one. The poor experiences dominate the public discussions, because it does not seem worth the effort, to post, that a new lens functions as expected.

From my own experience with about 10 Sigma lenses and tele converters I can say, that 90% are flawless, and indeed better performing, than I expected in almost all respects. Quality problems are common with all manufactureres and we sadly know, that Pentax is no exception to this (my four months old DA 16-50 testifies to this...)

Ben