Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
advantages...disadvantages of buying a "not for digital" lens?

Hi all and thanks to posting to my questions.... It really helps in decision making.

my question is: what would be the advantages and disadvantages of buying an auto focus that isn't made especially for digital cameras?
I realize due to the lens likely being bigger then a dedicated digital lens, and the lens fits exactly for the sensor, what else would be different?
I was more referring to the newest SLR lenses from pentax.

thanks

11-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Hi all and thanks to posting to my questions.... It really helps in decision making.

my question is: what would be the advantages and disadvantages of buying an auto focus that isn't made especially for digital cameras?
I realize due to the lens likely being bigger then a dedicated digital lens, and the lens fits exactly for the sensor, what else would be different?
I was more referring to the newest SLR lenses from pentax.

thanks
As everything else in this world, there are two sides to everything. Here are some of them:

- Some people believe that since APS-C-sized sensor camera only uses the middle part of the film lens, you get to use the "sweet spot" of the lens. However some people argue that since sensor is different from film, light coming thru a film lens might not fall "properly" on the sensor, therefore you should use a digital lens or optimised for digital lens.

- Some people buy film lenses because they are hoping one day Pentax will come out with a FF camera. The issue there is that you will need very good optics for a FF camera (which most likely will have more MP) otherwise your lens might not have enough resolving power to produce sharp images. I believe this is what Canon 5D users have found out. Even with the K10D that's is coming out, some people are already starting to worry about if some of the older lenses will be good enough for the camera.

hmm... that's all I can remember from what I have heard. I am sure there are other points and hopefully more knowledgeable members will input some later.

cheers
Kenny
11-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #3

I think here's another reason for the non-digital specialized lens (I dont mean digital only lenses liek Di II, rather i mean digital optimized lenses like Di and DG)

Recently, I bought a film P3 body for my wideangle shots as as a disposable backup. I need lenses which have a physical aperture ring because the camera does not have the electronics to control aperture in body. So now I'm at a dilemma to get the Tamron 70-300 LD Di . its great bang for buck but adapted to my film body, even tho it has the full image circle I will be forced to shoot at wide open...
11-16-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Part of the designation of a digi optomized FF lens is a special coating on the rear element. The theory goes that since the sensor is very reflective a coating is needed to keep light from bouncing around and ruining the shot. I use a blend of lens from screw mount to current and have seen this happen only once with an old vivitar s1. Then again it could all be sales hype :-)