Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

the normal zoom problem

I am having this problem since I first got a Pentax DSLR.
unlike the amazing primes, I am not really in love with any of the normal zooms.

mostly BC it will have to be a third party zoom .

in Canon / Nikon world they have their legendary zooms.

I need magic zoom from wide to short tele. and I need it soon .

09-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
unlike the amazing primes, I am not really in love with any of the normal zooms.

I need magic zoom from wide to short tele. and I need it soon .
Not to be a an ***, but what "Normal" zoom by, lets say, Canon do you speak of?

"Normal", back in the day, meant 50mm. So the DA* 50-135 would an amazing "normal" to telephoto lens... But, you say WA... Wide, meaning what? On a crop sensor we need to be at say, 16mm to be "Wide"... DA* 16-50 f2.8 another "amazing" lens...

What were you looking for again?

Regards,
Mike
09-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote

Maybe he's thinking of a modern equivalent to the 80s A35-105 F3.5 or A28-135 F4? Something that looks tough (as opposed to the flimsy-looking plastic lenses of today) and backs the look up with good optics?

Last edited by Spock; 09-10-2009 at 09:02 PM.
09-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

He's probably referring to Canikon's 24-70mm f/2.8 pro-level zooms, being that on 35mm cameras they run from wide to slightly tele, hence both sides of "normal."

09-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
Not to be a an ***, but what "Normal" zoom by, lets say, Canon do you speak of?

"Normal", back in the day, meant 50mm. So the DA* 50-135 would an amazing "normal" to telephoto lens... But, you say WA... Wide, meaning what? On a crop sensor we need to be at say, 16mm to be "Wide"... DA* 16-50 f2.8 another "amazing" lens...

Regards,
Mike
yes DA* 16-50 that is the Pentax option. the 50-135 is = to 70-200 not a standard zoom

that is my problem I am not loving this lens. but right now, the way it looks like, this is the zoom I will be getting . or the new sigma 24-70. I never had this problem with choosing a prime. I always really love the primes before I get them .
with the zooms I am not feeling it, but I do need one badly

I am looking for my LTD Pentax zoom! where is it?
09-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

yes DA* 16-50 that is the Pentax option. the 50-135 is = to 70-200 not a standard zoom

that is my problem I am not loving this lens. but right now, the way it looks like, this is the zoom I will be getting . or the new sigma 24-70. I never had this problem with choosing a prime. I always really love the primes before I get them .

So, you own the DA* 16-50mm f2.8?

Look, and I'll be the first to admit, I bought and still own a K100D non-super because, it was stupidly in-expensive... But, I've looked at test shot, after test shot of the Canon "L" 24-70mm f2.8 and it's nothing special. Seriously, I'd grade it worse than that but I'm being kind and trying not to get banned...

Regards,
Mike
09-11-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
Forum Member

redpigeons,

Maybe the lens you are looking for is the SMC DA 17-70 mm f4.0 AL

It certainly covers the focal lengths from wide to short tele for APS-C sensors - I know I would love one!

and to quote Photozone.de

"The Pentax DA SMC 17-70mm f/4 AL [IF] SDM is undoubtedly the most desirable standard zoom lens in the current Pentax lens lineup."

Pentax SMC DA 17-70mm f/4 AL [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report

Cheerz MZ

09-11-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The best current choices are the Pentax 16-50 f2,8, the Pentax 17-70 f4, and the Sigma 17-70 f2,8-4,5 (which I own and love). The Sigma is extremely well regarded, the Pentax also but is slower at the wide end. The 16-50 is extremely well regarded if you get a good copy. Maybe your copy is just not optimal, in which case you could replace it.

If you don't mind older lenses you could get an F or FA Pentax in the 24/28 to 70 range, though I'm not familiar with those. Or a Sigma/Tamron in the same range. You'd get a great inexpensive lens with an f2,8 aperture. The Tamron is well regarded, in particular.

But you're happy with your primes (and have selected the right brand for primes). Do you really need a zoom?
09-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

Following on from bdery...

I have just acquired an FA28-70 f4 AL and will be giving it a thorough going over in the next couple of days.

I haven't had it long enough to for an opinion yet but reviews suggest that it's a decent normal zoom.

Cheerz MZ
09-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The only thing that makes some of those lenses "legendary" is the fact that some are very expensive; for others, they are "legendary" because it never occurs to most Canon/Nikon owners that perhaps other manufacturers might make something just as good.

Which is to say, I don't see really see much objective ground for assuming Canon or Nikon has anything that much "better" than the 16-50 in that class.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-11-2009 at 12:06 PM.
09-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
FA28-105 3.2-4.5. Very good optically, quite good build-wise compared to its contemporaries and the fastest lens of its kind in recent times.
09-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the F 35-70 zoom, although it isn't wide. And I recently picked up a Vivitar 28-70 (Cosina) that seems very good. I liked the F 24-50 f/4 as well, although I didn't use it enough.
09-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

interesting that you don't love what you don't have?

have you actually shot withy the lens??? how much time could you have to evaluate something you don't own.

although I don't own one, personally I can see why some people would want it, but for me 16mm is not wide enough, for many things, but that is just me.