Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

My Plan B suggestion would be to buy a 24/2.8 and pair it with your 50/1.4. I've been shooting with a 28/3.5 and 50/1.7 combo recently and doing nicely. With a little creativity you could probably do nicely with just a 28mm. I find the A28/2 very tempting. I suspect you could get by without the long zoom considering the places you mentioned you'll be visiting.

09-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
No offense, but why are you even considering a cap on how many lenses to bring? Not your whole collection, maybe, but given that it's a wedding/honeymoon with some potential for great photography why artificially cap it like that?

I'd just pack what you need and be done with it! Or at least negotiate to match a lens for every pair of shoes, pants, or other "accessory" your significant other will be bringing...
09-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by T_MB Quote
As I may have mentioned before, I am getting married next month and honeymooning in England. We will be visiting a lot of castles, churches, ruined abbeys, and touring the yorkshire area countryside. I am only allowed to bring 2 lenses. I have 4, so the question is, which 2? All 4 have positive and negative aspects, so I need help choosing. Alternatively, I am open to purchasing a new moderately priced lens that would work for the conditions I need.

My choices are:

Pentax 18-55 mk1. = good all around, but doesn't do anything particularly "well." I don't get nice "pop" from this lens; but it isn't bad. Probably most versitile.

Pentax 16-45 = Great wide angle; nice color rendition; but big, heavy, and not so good in low light.

Pentac 1.4 50mm = Excellent colors; fast; wonderful in low light; avoids high iso; however, do to fixed focal length, it is not always suited to shooting indoors where a wider angle is needed. By far my favorite lens when I do not need to go wide.

Pentax 50-200 mm = good color and speed, but not always my first choice for architecture or landscape shooting. I probably under-utilize this lens.

--Right now I am leaning towards taking the 16-45 and the 1.4 50 mm.

What I would really like is something that is wide and good in low light.

I appreciate your thoughts/comments/suggestions.
I will begin by picking 2 you don't have, because I feel they are all that is needed

Sigma 10-20 and Tamron 28-75 F2.8.

WHen I am really pressed that is all I take.

BUT as you are getting married I suspect you are not going to go out and drop a ton of cash on new stuff, so

take the 16-45 and the 50mm F1.4, Maybe, if you can get one, a good TC to give you some reach to100mm
09-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Sell the 16-45, sell the 50-200 and get the 18-250.

Carry the 18-250 and the 50/1.4 if you must.

09-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I wouldn't advise him to sell stuff, that's not what he asked.

For my honeymoon I took a K1000 and a cheap 28mm that broke en route to Italy. Seemingly against all odds I found a small camera store in Venice with one Pentax lens, a M 28/3.5 that I have had ever since. Love that lens. But take two.

Which two? I think the DA 16-45 and the 50/1.4 will be all you need. Or the DA 18-55 and the FA50. I rarely shoot tele, and while I am sure there may be a use for it, I would get way more out of the other two. Wide angle zoom for scenery, 50 for your wife in that scenery. (Make her look good!) You could get away with just a WA zoom... but, take two.

Just my 2 cents!
09-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Congratulations on the wedding!

I see no reason to bring the kit lens. Bring your two zooms. But please try to negociate to bring also the fifty, it's really small and there are things you just cannot do without such a lens.

Whenh honeymooning two years ago, I managed to convince the wife to let me bring most of my gear, including my tripod. Boy was I glad I did! Hawaii is a paradise for slow motion waterfalls
09-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Have a great time. Don't forget that this is a honeymoon, not a photo gig.
This will probably be the only time I get to go overseas for quite some time, so I want to make the most of it. She has already been forwarned that she will most likely see more of my lens barell then my face on the trip . She seems to think that by limiting the number of lenses, I will take less photos, or spend less time "futzing" with my camera as she puts it.

But not to worry, that nice "user" setting and green button on the k20d makes shooting on the fly a breeze.

09-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I managed to convince the wife to let me bring most of my gear, including my tripod.
We compromised on me buying a monopole
09-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by T_MB Quote
She seems to think that by limiting the number of lenses, I will take less photos, or spend less time "futzing" with my camera as she puts it.
That is of course partially true. Another way to negotiate your way out of that would be to say that the two zooms would be for outdoor use only, and the with the short zoom and the 50 for indoor use - that is, you'd really only be "futzing" with two lenses at a time.

But actually, Alfisti's idea is quite good too if you've got the inclination (and time).
09-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

If it absolutely have to be just two, then 16-45 and 50-200. The 50/1.4 is so small and so potent though, and will be indispensable for night shots; I don't see why you couldn't plead for it to be included....

Another idea is to sell that 18-55 and get a bunch of flowers so you can bring the FA 50...
09-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats and I am in the 3 lens camp. You'll need the 50 when indoors and a flash isn't allowed. As you said, you may only get to do this once. Don't go wanting a lens you left home. Get a new lens case that can take the 3 and a body.

As for a fast wide angle lens. There are a few very good Sigmas to consider. 20mm 24mm and 28mm, all are f1.8 which is very fast for lenses this wide. There is also the Pentax 14mm f2.8 which is a very good lens. Of course the DA*16-50mm f2.8 is a very good choice but if you think the 16-45mm is heavy.....
09-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
If it absolutely have to be just two, then 16-45 and 50-200. The 50/1.4 is so small and so potent though, and will be indispensable for night shots; I don't see why you couldn't plead for it to be included....

Another idea is to sell that 18-55 and get a bunch of flowers so you can bring the FA 50...
yeah--the 18-55 makes a nice paperwieght.
09-12-2009, 12:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would just bring a single DA16-45/4 for the trip. Or better yet, bring the F200EXR (I know you didn't ask that lol) only so that any photos being taken by strangers for you 2 together will be perfectly in-focus with ease. It's a honeymoon, not a photo safari.
09-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Lenses vs Marital Harmony

i find that this decision is really influenced by the marital harmony that you seek or can afford then about which lenses to bring. But since I know nothing about the former...

If you must absolutely stick to 2 lenses and take her word as law: the 16-45 and the 50-200. Use flash and/or some form of stabilization in need be.

If you wiggle your way to a third lens: add the fast fifty. It's really great for portraits. Some of my best photos of my wife are with this lens. She's what you will want to remember the most right?

If you must absolutely stick to 2 lenses without sacrificing photo opportunities: Sell off the 50-200 and/or 18-55 and replace it with the 18-250 and bring the fast 50. I was on a recent trip to peru with a tour group. Even though, I had a bunch of other lenses, I ended up using the 18-250 to keep the pace with everyone else. With these two, I knew that I could always get the shot. Yeah the 50, is a bit long indoors -- if it were a party -- but I suspect that on a honeymoon what you really need is a 50 for more intimate portraits. Make her feel special.

There are of course a host of other lens options, but they might incur the wrath. You can either spend more or take more lenses. If you decide on that, write us back and I'm sure we can suggest even more options.
09-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Your not even married yet and she is restricting your photography habit? Good luck!