Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2009, 01:20 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vandamro Quote
There are of course a host of other lens options, but they might incur the wrath. You can either spend more or take more lenses. If you decide on that, write us back and I'm sure we can suggest even more options.
Yes...I know it is 3:00am--I am stuck stuffing wedding invites. On my union breaks, I am "window shopping" lenses. Getting a wider prime is temping, but I do not know if it is worth it given that I already have the 50 1.4 Hypothetically speaking, if I were to purchase another lens--the goal being fast, wide, good low-light performance, which of these would you recommend?

Pentax SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0 AL Lens with Case and Hood - Pentax
Condition: New
In Stock
Shipped from: Ace Photo
$424.99
You Save:
$74.00 (15%)

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR ZL Di LD Aspherical (IF) Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras - Tamron
In Stock
Add gift-wrap/note (Learn more) $457.96
You Save:
$564.99 (55%)

Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras - Tamron
In Stock

Add gift-wrap/note (Learn more) $299.00
You Save:
$345.95 (54%)

Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Large Aperture Wide Angle Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras - SIGMA
In Stock
Shipped from: 47th Street Photo
$379.00
You Save:
$101.00 (21%)

09-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #32
Damn Brit

Take two lenses and don't mention the third one that's attached to the camera.
Seriously, if it's your only trip for a while, why take the chance of not having the right lens,
I think you'd miss the reach of the 50-200. Not using it often doesn't lessen it's value for
the occasional shot that the others can't handle.
The 50 is small enough and light enough to fit in a pocket. You might even be able
to hide it in the lens hood of one of the others.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 09-12-2009 at 01:28 AM.
09-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
it's the only honeymoon you'll ever have (hopefully) so why not get the best pictures possible. Think of all the low light romantic dinners in those beautiful little restaurants that a flash would just ruin. Put the 50 in her purse without telling her, if her purse is like my wifes she wouldn't find it for weeks even if she was looking for it...She'll forgive you when she see the images.
why would a flash ruin it? you could always use a diffuser or fill-in flash if you are worried about those certain unnecessary effects of using a flash in a romantic dinner setup. you could use flash if you know how to use it for advantage.
09-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
why would a flash ruin it? you could always use a diffuser or fill-in flash if you are worried about those certain unnecessary effects of using a flash in a romantic dinner setup. you could use flash if you know how to use it for advantage.
Perhaps ruin is a strong word, but considering he is struggling to get more than 2 lenses on the trip, what are the chances of getting a flash gun and diffuser, so he would be using the on camera flash or nothing. That said, which image do you prefer (apart from focus issues)...

Or

09-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Perhaps ruin is a strong word, but considering he is struggling to get more than 2 lenses on the trip, what are the chances of getting a flash gun and diffuser, so he would be using the on camera flash or nothing. That said, which image do you prefer (apart from focus issues)...

Or

the second !
09-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #36
Veteran Member

as the OP mentioned, this is a wedding vacation and though I know it is only a once in a lifetime moment to go overseas and take pictures, he should invest or prioritize on the main thing that he is there for. first priority is to enjoy and spend time with his wife travelling. taking pictures is just a secondary thing. this is candid photography and not like a portfolio shoot in lowlight or daytime. going back to the flash thing, he doesn't need to use a flash gun actually. just use a puffer or any small gadget that would bounce off and soften the light coming from the built-in flash.

I would say that he should have a better luck next time. there are things that you can't do both at the same time. and I'll be saying that he'll be spending more time holding his wife rather than the camera. otherwise, the wife might get jealous and we don't want to ruin the honeymoon, are we?

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-12-2009 at 10:07 AM.
09-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #37
Veteran Member

the second !
Hmmm.......

09-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Take just the 50mm and as much memory as you can afford.
09-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by T_MB Quote
As I may have mentioned before, I am getting married next month and honeymooning in England. We will be visiting a lot of castles, churches, ruined abbeys, and touring the yorkshire area countryside. You need a good wideangle...I would take the 16-45 as opposed to the 18-55. I have both and the 16-45 is definitely better. You will be taking lot's of outdoor scenes of castles, sweeping Yorkshire moors etc. I am only allowed to bring 2 lenses. I have 4, so the question is, which 2? All 4 have positive and negative aspects, so I need help choosing. Alternatively, I am open to purchasing a new moderately priced lens that would work for the conditions I need.I would want a moderate telephoto for some scenes (50-200) but you will also want a lens that can handle low light interiors...castle and ruin interiors. The high speed 50 MM (f1.4) will be nice, but on a digital iat 35mm conversion around 75mm will be more like a portrait lens. When I went to Jolly Olde England I brought a good, tabletop (Minolta copy of a Leica) tripod and used that at longer exposures with my slower (F 3.5) 35-105 A Zoom on my K1000 body. It worked fine for interiors of cathedrals that just had natural light streaming in the interior, but I used a a remote shutter release mechanism to actuate the shutter.

So two lenses i would bring would be the 16-45 and the 50-200. Are you sure you can't sneak that handy little 50mm F 1.4 (I have one, too) on the body and just count the other two lenses ?

My choices are:

Pentax 18-55 mk1. = good all around, but doesn't do anything particularly "well." I don't get nice "pop" from this lens; but it isn't bad. Probably most versitile.

Pentax 16-45 = Great wide angle; nice color rendition; but big, heavy, and not so good in low light.

Pentac 1.4 50mm = Excellent colors; fast; wonderful in low light; avoids high iso; however, do to fixed focal length, it is not always suited to shooting indoors where a wider angle is needed. By far my favorite lens when I do not need to go wide.

Pentax 50-200 mm = good color and speed, but not always my first choice for architecture or landscape shooting. I probably under-utilize this lens.

--Right now I am leaning towards taking the 16-45 and the 1.4 50 mm.

What I would really like is something that is wide and good in low light.

I appreciate your thoughts/comments/suggestions.
Good luck and make sure you carry your camera equipment on board and set it on something soft (pillow) while traveling in the plane. Vibrations from the plane are not good for sensitive equipment.
09-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I'm looking at the Sigma 10-20 mm wide angle for my K10D and KM. Not fast, although I beleive there is a faster F 3.5 available now. I think the 10 mm converts to about 15 mm on a digital Pentax.

The 10 mm setting I think would give dramatic pictures...check out some pix on internet that are available, by just typing in pictures with Sigma 10-20 on Pentax digital.
09-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #41
edl
Veteran Member

the second !
Hmmm.......
Maybe he likes the girl in white
09-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #42

If you are overly worried about camera/lens 'futzing' taking up too much time, just buy a nice P&S to take along - Ken Rockwell's recommendations seems good.
09-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
Maybe he likes the girl in white

. seriously speaking, I think he could pinpoint out as well what are the other things or factors that are unpleasant with the 1st picture. that would give him the idea. as I said, use small puffer if the OP is not able to bring a flash gun with a diffuser if he is having some issues with regards to strong and uneven exposure. otherwise, the OP just really wanted to bring his 1.4.

I don't need to convince him if he ain't willing to take my suggestion. coz that's how I would do it in a particular situation. otherwise, bring whatever or how many lenses that he wants and screw the wife. that doesn't sound nice.
09-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
If you are overly worried about camera/lens 'futzing' taking up too much time, just buy a nice P&S to take along - Ken Rockwell's recommendations seems good.

I think this is the best advice that I've read so far. if he doesn't mind the 28mm minimum fl but have the all around versatility from wide to telephoto zoom. they are quite fast at 2.8 and could produce very nice results as well. and the important thing is that he doesn't have anymore problems with excess baggage because of the P&S' portability.
09-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Just get the 18-250 already, it solves so many problems. See my gallery for travel images from it.