Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #1

K1000 Zoom

Hi, I'm a novice and new to this forum. I have a K1000 that takes in my opinion, very nice, sharp pictures with the stock 50mm lense that it came with. I have been wanting a zoom lens for a long time and I would like to hear your suggestions, as to which zoom lens would be my best choice for "some wildlife", "objects," "people," and "structure" shots like old homesites etc. Money IS an issue, and if at all possible can I get a good lens that will do this for $300.00 or less? I saw a couple of Pentax 70-210mm f4 smc A Macro's for less than $200.00, does anyone know about these? and if they do, or don't perform well? I don't have to have (only) Pentax, but I would like something that works well and is user friendly, please tell me what my options are. All advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks K

09-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #2

Original Poster
I almost forgot, would I gain or loose a great deal by not going to 300mm? verses staying around 200 or so??
09-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

I can't say much about Pentax-A 70-210/4, but I can suggest you look in the reviews section.
Also, you can find cheaper lenses if you look for original K-mount lenses (the one you mentioned is KA-mount. While it will work fine with your K1000, it has an "A" feature - control of aperture from body - that K1000 can't use. So, you'll have a redundant feature unless you plan to upgrade later).
I have and can definitely recommend a lens called Tamron SP 70-210 f/3.5 (19AH). It should probably cost no more than $100, and is very, very sharp. With a proper adapter it will also function as a full-featured K-mount lens (adapter should go for less than $20). Design and execution are also top-notch. It's a tad heavy, though.
This lens is good enough for people, objects (not exactly sure what you mean by that one... things lying around? then yeah), not structures though - you'll probably need a wider lens for that.
09-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hey pbo, thanks for the reply I am familiar with Tamron, a friend of mine had one a few years back on a Cannon I think? and he spoke very highly of it. When I said "objects" I meant things like for instance a lifeguard platform on the beach at sunset, or a lighthouse, things like that. Also, I'm not a professional or, even good at photography. Sometimes I luck up and I am in the right place at the right time and things seem to fall into place, ie shadows from the lifeguard platform are at an interesting angle but might be at a distance or something like that.

09-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the A70-210/4. It's a great lens. You won't get the benefit of the "A" setting with your K1000 but that doesn't affect the optics either.

It is a one-touch zoom, meaning focus and zoom is integrated into a single "ring"; you twist to focus, slide to zoom. Some people like that, some hate it; I have mixed feelings myself. I do not however have mixed feelings about the clarity and color rendition of the optics in my copy.
09-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I have the A70-210/4. It's a great lens. You won't get the benefit of the "A" setting with your K1000 but that doesn't affect the optics either.

It is a one-touch zoom, meaning focus and zoom is integrated into a single "ring"; you twist to focus, slide to zoom. Some people like that, some hate it; I have mixed feelings myself. I do not however have mixed feelings about the clarity and color rendition of the optics in my copy.
Second the vote for the A 70-210.
09-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
Banned

if you can get one for under 200 USD (should be no problem. I paid 96 USD for mine) I will third the smc-A 70~210mm. its an excellent lens. no you cant use the 'A' setting, but perhaps in the future if you go digital you will still be able to use it and will have auto-aperture capabilities that will allow use of all the cameras various shooting modes. its a worthwhile investment.

in fact, I have been thinking of selling mine! (I said I would never do that) so shoot me a PM if you may be interested.
09-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if you can get one for under 200 USD (should be no problem. I paid 96 USD for mine).
Agreed, I paid about $110 shipped for mine - came with the case and unused strap all minty fresh.

09-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
I can't say much about Pentax-A 70-210/4, but I can suggest you look in the reviews section.

I have and can definitely recommend a lens called Tamron SP 70-210 f/3.5 (19AH). It should probably cost no more than $100, and is very, very sharp. With a proper adapter it will also function as a full-featured K-mount lens (adapter should go for less than $20). Design and execution are also top-notch. It's a tad heavy, though.
When purchasing a 30-year-old zoom lens be certain yours does not experience "zoom creep," in which the one-touch zoom/focus ring slides if the lens is not held horizontally

In addition to most any of the Pentax K, M or A zooms (70-210 or 80-200, and don't forget the under-appreciated M75~150):

Agreed on the Tamron AD-2 SP mentioned; current price can be as high as $200, though, if sold with case, caps and A mount. These lenses are not subject to zoom creep - unique focus ring technology.

Also consider Vivitar Series 1 P/KA 70~210/2.8~4.0 (the third in the series of 5 of these lenses). Some consider this better color rendition than the Tamron and the Tamron sharper.

A-contacts, fixed K-mount - no adapter required.
Typically $125 - $150 in EXC+ condition.

I own both and would sell the Vivitar.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-11-2009 at 04:56 PM.
09-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I use an SMC Pentax 80-200mm zoom that is quite good. There are M and K series versions both well thought of. They do well on a K1000.
09-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hiya BigK, I've also got the old SMC-M 80-200 zoom. It came along with my wife and her ME Super 25+ yrs ago... I still use it on my K100D nowadays, but it's a fine lens.

Jim

(this shot was accepted into the Pentax Photo Gallery using that lens on the K100D)
09-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
These lenses are not subject to zoom creep - unique foucs ring technology.
Exactly! Smooth to zoom, but no creep even if you tilt 90 degrees! I wouldn't pay $200 for it, though... Since OP's using K1000, basic Adaptall-2 adapter will work perfectly. And, I never cared lens cases, unless they came with them. And if you use some lens a lot, case is useless
Be sure to find one with hood, though. Just seeing how it works is worth the price for the hood
09-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I use an SMC Pentax 80-200mm zoom that is quite good. There are M and K series versions both well thought of. They do well on a K1000.
Will both M or K series work on K1000? and whats the difference? thanks
09-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigK Quote
Will both M or K series work on K1000? and whats the difference? thanks
M lenses are remakes of the K lenses to make them more compact and a bit more up to date. They are equivalent for all intents and purposes. They are both solidly built "old style" metal lenses.

The M lenses and K lenses do not have the "A" position on the aperture ring, but are bayonet ("K" mount) lenses.

With the K10 and K20 the metering is a bit "iffy". After reading dozens of posts about using the LL-60 screen to resolve the issue, I finally ordered one. It resolved all my metering issues, and had no adverse effect on the DA/FA/A lenses I own. I promptly (well, some months later) dropped the screen into a lake, and had to get another, but that's why some say my middle initial is K for Klutz.

There is a thread at the top of the beginners forum on the use of manual lenses that is a must read if you get a lens without the A on the aperture ring. These lenses do have some issues with chromatic aberration and purple fringing in certain lighting conditions, but other than that, are fine lenses.
09-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for the help