Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

You don't know how much this pains me!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have been looking for a 300mm (preferebly 2.8) Pentax-A lens for a while. about 2-3 months ago, I would have jumped on this auction, and I suspect in another 6 months I would also jump on this. Today I find my expendable cash reserves somewhat depleted by daughters (one getting married, and one going to college in Alaska this summer), so I am passing this on.

I usually start my day with a search for lenses on e-bay, today this showed up on my favorite searches.

eBay: Pentax A* 300mm f/2.8 ED IF Lens 300 f2.8 SMC A Star (item 260121119897 end time May-29-07 00:44:50 PDT)

If someone on here buys this item ... please don't tell me how much you love it!

05-22-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Bruce, I would say "been there, done that" but the reality is "am still there and still doing that" WOE!
Alas, but the depth of my LBA is severly limited by the shallowness of my pockets. If I may, as a consolation say congrats on your daughters impending matrimony and matriculation (how's that for alliteration )
If you really NEED a 300MM and the A* is a bit dear at this point, I can heartily recommend the SMC 300mm F4. It's two stops slower for sure and it's resolution ain't perfect, but I can attest that it is a pretty damn good lens for the money. Some samples can be found here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/5027-some-more-pentax-smc-300-f4.html

NaCl(not the A* but it does the job)H2O
05-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Bruce,

Too bad you have to let that fine lens go- with the case and converter, the price quoted in that auction is actually very reasonabe. If I had not picked up an FA* 300mm (2.8) earlier, I'd grab this lens right away...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I know *sob*

05-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the $$, but I still cant bring myself to jump on it. Maybe next year.