Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Mounting issue

So i have this old vivitar lens, it weights a ton.

Anyway, when I try to mount this lens on my K200, it just does not wanna go on.

I can easily mount it on my Super Program, but no dice otherwise...

here is a picture of it,

it physically does not fit onto the mount of my K200...

Anyone know why this might be? is it just this lens?

09-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Try removing the black aperture arm piece. It's held on by some tiny screws. Those guards are known for interference.
The arrow shows the offending piece.

Last edited by wildlifephotog; 09-11-2009 at 02:55 PM.
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ah, ok I will try and remove that, gotta find a small screwdriver first though D:
09-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I remove them all the time to fit my Non-Pentax system, without any problems.
However some people claim that it may cause Internal reflections, off the shiny surfaces.
So, with that in mind you might want to keep all the parts handy, until you try the lens. If you see anything that doesn't look right, dremal that aperture arm down, then screw it back.

Being a Vivitar lens, there's a chance it's glued in place. If I remember correctly this glue wasn't all that tough to break loose, however I don't remember what i did

09-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #5

Original Poster
Unless they both screw and glue it in, then I dont think it is glued fortunately, just held on by two of the smallest screws i have ever seen... I might have to look for one of those eyeglass repair kits to get a screwdriver small enough.
09-12-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I got a very similar looking lens recently, Vivitar 28-200mm, and this had exactly the same problem. Fortunately (once you have found the tools) it takes about 10 minutes to remove the rear shrowd, saw off the excess material, tidy it up with a file, touchup the exposed aluminium with a black pen and put it back on again. It fits as it should now and there are no stray reflections from shiny surfaces. Compare it to one of your other lenses to see how much of the protective shroud to remove.
09-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That "R" on the lens mount makes me wonder if this is one of the lenses that will cause the infamous Ricoh stuck lens problem.
09-12-2009, 05:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The 28-200 doesn't have the R on the mount or extra pin visible at the bottom of the lens. If you get some suitable screwdrivers I'd take the mount off as well as the shrowd and remove that extra pin just be safe. If you keep it safe you can always put it back if you decide to sell the lens. If the construction if this is similar to my 20-200mm (and it looks like it is) then turn the aperture ring to a mid position (around f/8 - this will stop the A pin popping out and dissapearing) then unscrew the 4 screws holding the mount on. The mount should lift clear and the extra pin and its spring will probably just lift out.

09-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
That "R" on the lens mount makes me wonder if this is one of the lenses that will cause the infamous Ricoh stuck lens problem.
You have scared me now, I dont like the sound of that...
09-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Inactive Account

If the pin has a flat end, it needs to be either ground down or removed.
If it is of the more modern round end, like a ball bearing. It should be just fine.