Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 263
Why the H*LL are PENTAX lens prices going through the ROOF?

What is up with the latest Pentax lens prices?

They keep going up and up!

I saw the $250 FA 50 1.4 for $699 on Amazon the today!

All the other lens prices are going CRAZY! Within 1 year, all the lenses increased $100 to $450 or MORE! And they keep going up!

I went with Pentax for several reasons - one being the lenses are really good! AND REALLY LOW COST!

Low cost no more!!!!

Anyone know what is up with this?

09-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 478
You really cannot use Amazon as a good basis for comparison. If they have an item in stock, they're typically competitive. However, if it is a 3rd party (as it is in the case of the 50mm), you will often see outrageous pricing. B&H (and probably others) have it listed for $249.

The price increases are not just Pentax. Many manufacturers have had increases as well. The third party companies (Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina) seem to be the only ones that have been somewhat steady. Olympus, Canon, and probably others have increased - although maybe not as drastically as Pentax.
09-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
SteveM's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,295
I don't get that.....I "think" it is still 299 CAN here....hell I should buy one....and sell it to you for 349 CA + shipping...with the exchange-duty it might be cheap.....lol
09-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
SteveM's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,295
QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
You really cannot use Amazon as a good basis for comparison. If they have an item in stock, they're typically competitive. However, if it is a 3rd party (as it is in the case of the 50mm), you will often see outrageous pricing. B&H (and probably others) have it listed for $249.

The price increases are not just Pentax. Many manufacturers have had increases as well. The third party companies (Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina) seem to be the only ones that have been somewhat steady. Olympus, Canon, and probably others have increased - although maybe not as drastically as Pentax.
I agree...B&H might be prohibitive due to shipping costs to Canada....I used them when I lived in the states....and they were competitive.

09-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,713
at $699 the Sigma version almost looks like a bargain, that is until you start adding in the costs of 77mm filters
09-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
What is up with the latest Pentax lens prices?

They keep going up and up!

I saw the $250 FA 50 1.4 for $699 on Amazon the today!

All the other lens prices are going CRAZY! Within 1 year, all the lenses increased $100 to $450 or MORE! And they keep going up!

I went with Pentax for several reasons - one being the lenses are really good! AND REALLY LOW COST!

Low cost no more!!!!

Anyone know what is up with this?
I had good LOL at this post once I saw the lenses in your sig...

Oh and the $700 f/1.4 myth was busted a few weeks ago.
09-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
edl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 457
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
What is up with the latest Pentax lens prices?

They keep going up and up!

Anyone know what is up with this?
Pentax lenses are not going up...our dollars are going down.
09-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
When you throw way the occasional company trying to scam you into buying an FA50 for $600, and start looking at the actual average prices from reputable dealers for currently in production lenses, you'll see there's been a *slight* price increase over the last few months, but nothing more than that.

09-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,472
USD/JPY Currency Conversion Chart

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
When you throw way the occasional company trying to scam you into buying an FA50 for $600, and start looking at the actual average prices from reputable dealers for currently in production lenses, you'll see there's been a *slight* price increase over the last few months, but nothing more than that.
The Yen purchasing power of a dollar has declined about 9-10% since April. If the Yen price of Pentax lenses has remained stable (it has), then the Dollar price should have risen about 10-11% (1/10 = 11).

I'd bet the actual dollar increase of anything Japanese has been about the same since late winter.

USD/JPY Currency Conversion Chart
09-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 263
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I had good LOL at this post once I saw the lenses in your sig...
What do you mean? I own most the best lenses Pentax makes, but I bought all but 1 used right here on PentaxForums - and at great, reasonable deals. Sure I paid $600 for my 31mm f/1.8... but that was a fair used price! And I bought my 50mm f/1.4 for about $180 used hand-delivered to me!

Used is still the only way I can afford my lenses. Luckily I bought my 18-250mm new for only $380 nine months ago!
09-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
What do you mean? I own most the best lenses Pentax makes, but I bought all but 1 used right here on PentaxForums - and at great, reasonable deals. Sure I paid $600 for my 31mm f/1.8... but that was a fair used price! And I bought my 50mm f/1.4 for about $180 used hand-delivered to me!

Used is still the only way I can afford my lenses. Luckily I bought my 18-250mm new for only $380 nine months ago!
I laughed because the lenses are/were very expensive. It's like a luxury car owner complaining about how much it costs to maintain his BMW. You bought the lenses already...everything is going up in price (have you been to the grocery store in the past year? lol)...what do you expect?

For what it's worth, I've bought one lens new...ever. Everything in my sig but the K10D and grip is used. So it's not like I'm happy about the price increases...but it is what it is. Don't shop according to the price tag and you'll realize how good of a value Pentax really is
09-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,951
I'll up the ante and sell my FA 50 to whoever wants to offer 700 US Dollars or above!
09-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santiago
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 173
I'm waiting for my FA50 F1.4 from Adorama (backorder situation).
The price was $245 (end of August).

It may be that some sellers try to cash the K-7 boom....
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cost, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax lens, pentax lens prices, prices, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Lens Prices paperbag846 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 08-26-2010 04:24 AM
Lens Prices - Through the ROOF!!!??? P-SHOOTER Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 03-09-2010 05:49 AM
Pentax lens prices going up. What are other brands doing? emr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 06-22-2009 07:21 AM
Pentax Lens Prices jumps - anyone know how much these lenses are in Taiwan weaponx525 Pentax News and Rumors 15 04-10-2009 07:35 AM
Aussie Alert - Pentax Lens Prices Jump brumby Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 12-01-2008 06:02 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top