Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #1

Why the H*LL are PENTAX lens prices going through the ROOF?

What is up with the latest Pentax lens prices?

They keep going up and up!

I saw the $250 FA 50 1.4 for $699 on Amazon the today!

All the other lens prices are going CRAZY! Within 1 year, all the lenses increased $100 to $450 or MORE! And they keep going up!

I went with Pentax for several reasons - one being the lenses are really good! AND REALLY LOW COST!

Low cost no more!!!!

Anyone know what is up with this?

09-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You really cannot use Amazon as a good basis for comparison. If they have an item in stock, they're typically competitive. However, if it is a 3rd party (as it is in the case of the 50mm), you will often see outrageous pricing. B&H (and probably others) have it listed for $249.

The price increases are not just Pentax. Many manufacturers have had increases as well. The third party companies (Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina) seem to be the only ones that have been somewhat steady. Olympus, Canon, and probably others have increased - although maybe not as drastically as Pentax.
09-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't get that.....I "think" it is still 299 CAN here....hell I should buy one....and sell it to you for 349 CA + shipping...with the exchange-duty it might be cheap.....lol
09-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
You really cannot use Amazon as a good basis for comparison. If they have an item in stock, they're typically competitive. However, if it is a 3rd party (as it is in the case of the 50mm), you will often see outrageous pricing. B&H (and probably others) have it listed for $249.

The price increases are not just Pentax. Many manufacturers have had increases as well. The third party companies (Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina) seem to be the only ones that have been somewhat steady. Olympus, Canon, and probably others have increased - although maybe not as drastically as Pentax.
I agree...B&H might be prohibitive due to shipping costs to Canada....I used them when I lived in the states....and they were competitive.

09-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

at $699 the Sigma version almost looks like a bargain, that is until you start adding in the costs of 77mm filters
09-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote

I saw the $250 FA 50 1.4 for $699 on Amazon the today!

All the other lens prices are going CRAZY! Within 1 year, all the lenses increased $100 to $450 or MORE! And they keep going up!

I went with Pentax for several reasons - one being the lenses are really good! AND REALLY LOW COST!

Low cost no more!!!!

I had good LOL at this post once I saw the lenses in your sig...

Oh and the $700 f/1.4 myth was busted a few weeks ago.
09-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
edl
Veteran Member

Pentax lenses are not going up...our dollars are going down.
09-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

When you throw way the occasional company trying to scam you into buying an FA50 for $600, and start looking at the actual average prices from reputable dealers for currently in production lenses, you'll see there's been a *slight* price increase over the last few months, but nothing more than that.

09-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
USD/JPY Currency Conversion Chart

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
When you throw way the occasional company trying to scam you into buying an FA50 for $600, and start looking at the actual average prices from reputable dealers for currently in production lenses, you'll see there's been a *slight* price increase over the last few months, but nothing more than that.
The Yen purchasing power of a dollar has declined about 9-10% since April. If the Yen price of Pentax lenses has remained stable (it has), then the Dollar price should have risen about 10-11% (1/10 = 11).

I'd bet the actual dollar increase of anything Japanese has been about the same since late winter.

USD/JPY Currency Conversion Chart
09-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I had good LOL at this post once I saw the lenses in your sig...
What do you mean? I own most the best lenses Pentax makes, but I bought all but 1 used right here on PentaxForums - and at great, reasonable deals. Sure I paid $600 for my 31mm f/1.8... but that was a fair used price! And I bought my 50mm f/1.4 for about $180 used hand-delivered to me!

Used is still the only way I can afford my lenses. Luckily I bought my 18-250mm new for only $380 nine months ago!
09-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

What do you mean? I own most the best lenses Pentax makes, but I bought all but 1 used right here on PentaxForums - and at great, reasonable deals. Sure I paid $600 for my 31mm f/1.8... but that was a fair used price! And I bought my 50mm f/1.4 for about $180 used hand-delivered to me!

Used is still the only way I can afford my lenses. Luckily I bought my 18-250mm new for only $380 nine months ago!
I laughed because the lenses are/were very expensive. It's like a luxury car owner complaining about how much it costs to maintain his BMW. You bought the lenses already...everything is going up in price (have you been to the grocery store in the past year? lol)...what do you expect?

For what it's worth, I've bought one lens new...ever. Everything in my sig but the K10D and grip is used. So it's not like I'm happy about the price increases...but it is what it is. Don't shop according to the price tag and you'll realize how good of a value Pentax really is
09-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll up the ante and sell my FA 50 to whoever wants to offer 700 US Dollars or above!
09-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #14

I'm waiting for my FA50 F1.4 from Adorama (backorder situation).
The price was $245 (end of August).

It may be that some sellers try to cash the K-7 boom....