Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
change a mount on a vivitar

Okay, so I picked up a Vivitar AR lens this weekend at a yard sale (yes, I know it doesn't fit, based on a previous post here), but I got it so cheap, I couldn't resist to play with it.

Is there a way I can change the mount by using a M42 to K mount adapter and attaching it to the vivtar lens after removing the existing mount on the vivitar?

The lens has 3 "protrusions" on it. If I could figure out how to upload an image, I'd do that, but I can't figure out how to upload images.. it just indicates "failed"

Not sure what all the 3 protrusions on the back end of the lens does.

1 - Pin
2 - curved blade
3 - smaller curved blade that moves in a channel.

Thanks.

05-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by varnco Quote
Okay, so I picked up a Vivitar AR lens this weekend at a yard sale (yes, I know it doesn't fit, based on a previous post here), but I got it so cheap, I couldn't resist to play with it.

Is there a way I can change the mount by using a M42 to K mount adapter and attaching it to the vivtar lens after removing the existing mount on the vivitar?

The lens has 3 "protrusions" on it. If I could figure out how to upload an image, I'd do that, but I can't figure out how to upload images.. it just indicates "failed"

Not sure what all the 3 protrusions on the back end of the lens does.

1 - Pin
2 - curved blade
3 - smaller curved blade that moves in a channel.

Thanks.
Hmm, not too sure about this one. Vivitar did make an interchangeable mount line of lenses called TX, similar to the Tamron Adaptall system. If that's what you have, it might be possible to find the proper K-mount adapter. Maybe someone else has some first-hand experience with this. By the way, I read that Konica used a very short flange-to-film distance on their AR lenses and even if you could find a way to mount it, it wouldn't come to infinity focus if it is a pure AR-only lens.
05-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well, I'd like to post a picture of it here, but the forum keeps denying my ability to upload even though the picture is 25K, jpg and under the physical size requirements.

Just get an upload failed message.
05-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by varnco Quote
Well, I'd like to post a picture of it here, but the forum keeps denying my ability to upload even though the picture is 25K, jpg and under the physical size requirements.

Just get an upload failed message.
A few facts:
Konica's second series of SLR cameras began with 1965's Auto-Reflex. This line came to an end in 1987 when Konica abandoned the SLR market.

Konica's AR lens mount kept the same flange-film distance that the earlier Konica F lens mount had (40.5 mm), but it has a larger diameter of 47 mm.
Konica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now Pentax flange to film distance:
The registration distance of M42 ( K mount, KA mount ect) mount is 45.5mm.
So based on this you are sort of dead in the water without some sort of optical adapter or give up infinity focus. Registration distance (flange to "film" plane) should be equal or greater for no invasive added glass or losing infinity focus....

mounts.htm.

05-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey varnco,
Vivitar had a T4 and TX interchangeable mount system, I have an old t4 300mm f5.6 I got for my minolta in 1974 and found out they only had a m42 screw adapter for the T4-BUT I got a tx adapter to work on it by bending back the coupling on the lens under the rear plate (voila crippled k mount). Too bad it's not a good lens, lots o' ca, I have a 400mm tx thats not too bad though. If it's a tx it may be worth trying.YMMV
here's a pic w/ 400mmf5.6 tx if
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo