Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
85mm F1.4 Rokinon with 1.7x Pentax AF adapter
Joe, how sharp do you find this combination shooting wide open?

09-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #32
Inactive Account

The Sony version of the 85mm Zeiss is different than the ZK 85mm version. Also, the Zeiss ZK 85mm may be the sharpest 85mm available new for Pentax, but I doubt it is sharper than the A* or FA* 85mm lenses. I believe Angelodon (a member here) tested the A* 85mm lens against the Zeiss ZK 85mm lens, and the A* photos looked much better to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by brian s. Quote
The Zeiss Planar 85mm f1.4 is the sharpest 85mm lens in the K mount. It It's mf though.

Zeiss ZA Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ( Sony SAL-85F14Z ) - Review / Test Report
09-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Charlie,

I thought the longest end in the classical range was shorter, but you are right. Thanks, that FL now makes more sense to me now. Thanks also to Blue and Marc.
Well, it's possible you could hear a range of 85mm to 105mm from some sources (so you probably did get that idea from somewhere), but that seems unnecessarily limited to me. It seems I've heard 135mm at the top end most often, but clearly it's not carved in stone, and people have their own ideas .
09-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Joe, how sharp do you find this combination shooting wide open?

I have the vivitar version of the samyang 85mmF1.4, and have tried it with the SMC-F 1.7x AF TC.

the TC does not degrade the lens at all. The lens is a little soft wide open and again is so with the TC (no mystery)

what I find is that the lens with or without the TC is very good from F2 on, so it makes an interesting lens combo of 145mm F2.5 with AF and with all AE functions.

Stop down a little and it is a great middle range tele, and the added flexibility of an ultra fast 85 without the adaptor.

I have used this pair to replace the 135F2.5 in my light travel kit. It is not as sharp with the TC as the 135, when wide open but the added flexibility I find makes it worth while

09-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have the vivitar version of the samyang 85mmF1.4, and have tried it with the SMC-F 1.7x AF TC.

the TC does not degrade the lens at all. The lens is a little soft wide open and again is so with the TC (no mystery)

what I find is that the lens with or without the TC is very good from F2 on, so it makes an interesting lens combo of 145mm F2.5 with AF and with all AE functions.

Stop down a little and it is a great middle range tele, and the added flexibility of an ultra fast 85 without the adaptor.

I have used this pair to replace the 135F2.5 in my light travel kit. It is not as sharp with the TC as the 135, when wide open but the added flexibility I find makes it worth while
Thanks Lowell! Back in the day I tested the 77 Ltd with the AF 1.7x TC, which gives a 130mm f/3 lens, and while I cannot remember how good or bad it was, it couldn't have been great if I've never used it again

I've been very curious about these 85mm f/1.4 lenses, and if they pair up nicely to make an AF 145mm f/2.4 (not 2.5, which is 2/3 stop over f/2 instead of 1/2 stop), then I might just have to get one. If I like what I see, I will stop complaining all the time that Pentax don't have a DA* 135mm f/2...that way I can concentrate on complaining about the lack of a DA* 90mm f/1.4