Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

85mm f1.4 does brand matter?

so i heard that the 85mm f1.4 is famous for being a good lens for portraits.. so i want to get em, when i searched for them i found alot of different brands, odviously the pentax ones where all in the 1k's but i found some gower and other brands, do they have the same quality? is it the same lens but cheaper because the brand name?

09-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brand does matter. The cheaper ones that you refer to are various re-badged Korean lenses that are decent but not in the league with Pentax, Nikkor, Canon etc. Pentax doesn't have a 85mm in production. They do have an FA 77mm f1.8 ltd and a DA 70mm f2.4 ltd that are in production.
09-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Brand does matter. The cheaper ones that you refer to are various re-badged Korean lenses that are decent but not in the league with Pentax, Nikkor, Canon etc. Pentax doesn't have a 85mm in production. They do have an FA 77mm f1.8 ltd and a DA 70mm f2.4 ltd that are in production.
+1
Not to mention the Bower, Opteka, and Vivitar ones don't have AF.
Not even sure if they have an "A" setting.
09-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
oh :/ i really want the old pentax 85mm f1.4 but they are so expensive x0
ahh theres got to be a way to get it cheaper...
korean lenses? what is there company name?
bower opteka and vivtar <- are they any good?

09-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jolee1990 Quote
oh :/ i really want the old pentax 85mm f1.4 but they are so expensive x0
ahh theres got to be a way to get it cheaper...
korean lenses? what is there company name?
bower opteka and vivtar <- are they any good?
Samyang and as pointed out by GLXR, they are mf.
09-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cambridge; Photography equipment, Film developing, Camera filter & more!
is that the same pentax 85mm f1.4?
is the old one a prime 85? and does it have FA?
09-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Cambridge; Photography equipment, Film developing, Camera filter & more!
is that the same pentax 85mm f1.4?
is the old one a prime 85? and does it have FA?
Cambridge World - cambridgeworld.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

09-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
haha i just read it but i was wondering is that 85mm FA <- is that the same one as the old famouse 85mm pentax lens tahts famouse for good portrait lens? i thought the old one didnt ahve FA?
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SMCP-FA-85mm-Lens-Case/dp/B00005ABCB/ref=cm_cmu_pg_i <- even amazon has it so i was wondering if it was the same as the old 85mm lens..
09-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
85mm was the ideal portait focal length for 35mm film. With DSLRs you will get the same effect with a 50mm/1.4 - and these lenses are relatively cheap and plentiful on the second-hand market.
09-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter

haha i just read it but i was wondering is that 85mm FA <- is that the same one as the old famouse 85mm pentax lens tahts famouse for good portrait lens? i thought the old one didnt ahve FA?
Amazon.com: Pentax SMCP-FA 85mm f/1.4 IF Lens with Case: Camera & Photo <- even amazon has it so i was wondering if it was the same as the old 85mm lens..
The A* and FA* 85mm f1.4 have different optical formulae. There was also a K 85mm f1.8 and an M 85mm f2 and they also have different formulae. There were also soft 85mm lenses as well.

Go here for the differences:

Pentax Short Telephoto Prime Lenses

Edit: Actually the FA 77mm ltd has a similar optical formalae to the A* 85mm f1.4 than any of the other Pentax 85mm lenses do.

09-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
gosh this would be easier to understand if i weren't such a newb xD
wait so the older version was the A? and the newer version is FA?
is there much difference in the picture quality of the 85mm A 1.4 and the 85mm FA 1.4?

i am sorry for all these questions but is there a article or osmething that explains the things about the glasses inside? cause i dont know what makes the difference
i have the 50mm FAf1.4 and i like it but i would like to try the 85 and i have been hearing good stuff about it.
09-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter

gosh this would be easier to understand if i weren't such a newb xD
is there much difference in the picture quality of the 85mm A 1.4 and the 85mm FA 1.4?

i am sorry for all these questions but is there a article or osmething that explains the things about the glasses inside? cause i dont know what makes the difference
i have the 50mm FAf1.4 and i like it but i would like to try the 85 and i have been hearing good stuff about it.
The older version is the A which is manual focus and the newer version is FA. They have different optical formulae however. As I pointed out, the FA 77mm ltd has a similar optical formulae to the older A. That was just to emphasize that all of the 85mm lenses are different. As far as IQ etc., that is open to interpretation and different people will have different opinions on that. Go to the lens review data base and look at reviews and the lenses discussed in this thread so far as a starting point.

The K, M, A*, FA* 85mm lenses are fine glass and get great reviews.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/index.php
09-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

so i heard that the 85mm f1.4 is famous for being a good lens for portraits.
On full frame. For APS-C this translates to 56.67mm.
85mm can still be used as a portrait FL on APS-C but it will be quite on the long side.

...other brands, do they have the same quality?
The Samyang 85/1.4 (which is also available with other brand names, like Polar, etc.) is manual focus only but has an A-setting and some users really like it.
09-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

This is why i chose something slightly cheaper ... but on the manual side of things (more fun).

With an M42 adaptor there are a number of choice Takumar lenses out there ... that are still excellent quality indeed.

In regards to the above sizing ... I have:

Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4
Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8
Super Takumar 85mm f/1.9 (this is a NIIIIICE lens indeed).

But it is not AF ... and not quite the excellent quality of the A* and FA* 85mm. And nowhere near as expensive either.
09-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both are "old" in the sense of having been discontinued long ago, but yes, the A series lenses (these have no autofocus) are older than the FA series (these have autofocus).

QuoteQuote:
For raw data about the lenses (size, optical construction, what the various abbreviations means, etc) you can see

Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

For opinions on the quality of specific lenses, you can see

Stan's Pentax Photography

Also look for the discussions of the 85mm lenses on this forum. You'll find the newer Korean manual focus 85's (the ones you seeing sold under all these different brand names, but when you look at the pictures, it's obviously the same lens) are quite a following. As does the Pentax M85/2.