Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #16

I'm amazed nobody has said 'Keep the 55, just get a DA70 to go with it.'

It's cheaper than the 77 and it's still a very very good lens (I think it's only not raved about constantly because it's overshadowed by a very very very good lens)

My DA 70 may be slower than either of the above but it's heavenly. I'd suggest trying one out if you can before you bite on a 77 - unless you need 1.8 then it may do for you.

And I'm not saying 'oh, it'll do...' in that way people say when they talk about the kit lens or an old CZJ. It's a very good lens and is cheaper than the 77 (and a bit smaller too).

If you have your heart set on the 77 then go for it, but at least let the 70 cross your mind first and as I said above if you can get to try it out at any point then you might be pleasently pleased!

09-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote

It's cheaper than the 77 and it's still a very very good lens (I think it's only not raved about constantly because it's overshadowed by a very very very good lens)

My DA 70 may be slower than either of the above but it's heavenly. I'd suggest trying one out if you can before you bite on a 77 - unless you need 1.8 then it may do for you.

And I'm not saying 'oh, it'll do...' in that way people say when they talk about the kit lens or an old CZJ. It's a very good lens and is cheaper than the 77 (and a bit smaller too).

If you have your heart set on the 77 then go for it, but at least let the 70 cross your mind first and as I said above if you can get to try it out at any point then you might be pleasently pleased!
That sounds like pretty good advice. With the loss you would take sell the 55 you will probably end up being out about the same money either way, and have two great lenses to show for it.
09-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
This was no seriouse lens test. I used no tripod. I just picked up the camera and did that what I ever do when I go shooting.

Some things seem to be very new for me. I never thaugt that the FA77 was as razor sharp as my loved DA*55. The bokeh of the the DA*55 is (for 22mm less!!) very well!
In my eyes the FA is a tic warmer in the pics as the DA*55. Perhaps more in the three dimensions?

I will sell the DA*55 and look for a FA77.

Thanks for interest,
Rainer
Wow, Rainer! Big decision made quickly, but I fell for the 77 too when I met it!

Enjoy!

I remember you were one of the first to get the DA*55 and I quite enjoyed your shots with it. Can't wait to see what you do with the 77.

Now you have a hole between 35 and 77 -- what's going to go there?
09-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
FWIW, I thought of it, but assumed the OP had it in his head he needed something faster and wasn't in the mood to try to convince him otherwise. But you're totally right to recommend the 70. Actually, though, I'd sell the 55 and buy both 50 and the 70, as I'm not enamored of the 50-55mm FOV on APS-C to want such a expensive lens at that focal length.

09-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was no seriouse lens test. I used no tripod. I just picked up the camera and did that what I ever do when I go shooting.

Some things seem to be very new for me. I never thaugt that the FA77 was as razor sharp as my loved DA*55. The bokeh of the the DA*55 is (for 22mm less!!) very well!
In my eyes the FA is a tic warmer in the pics as the DA*55. Perhaps more in the three dimensions?

I will sell the DA*55 and look for a FA77.

Thanks for interest,
Rainer
Maybe not a scientific test, but I always like to see a battle of Pentax Titans. Thanks
09-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #21
Nubi

No way. I own the DA*55 and not the FA77. The FA77 on the pics is from user Tczobretti. Thats my point. I dont know if I should sell the DA for owning the FA?

Rainer
Oh, sorry. My bad.

You know, the way I look at it is that when I see pictures of the same object taken by FA 50 f/1.4 and DA*55 at the exact same aperture, in all honesty I could not tell them apart. DA*55 may handle better than FA50, but considering the price difference, I am beginning to think that perhaps DA*55 is a bit overrated.

But on the other hand, other members of the forum may tell you that it may also depend on what type of photography you shoot regularly.
09-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some things seem to be very new for me. I never thaugt that the FA77 was as razor sharp as my loved DA*55.
My thoughts exactly. I dont own the DA*55, but it hardly gets sharper than FA77, even wide open.

I love mine.

09-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Rainer,

I'm sure you'll like the 77 but I also think you decided pretty quickly.

This was no serious lens test.
AFAIC, it wasn't sufficiently comprehensive. From your image sets, I also preferred the 77 shots. If you after these or similar scenarios, I'm sure the 77 will be better for you. However, in other scenarios, the FL of the 55 will be better than that of the 77.

I don't want to make you second guess your decision, just make sure that you see the full picture.
09-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FA77 is single-handedly responsible for getting my wife into photography. I am not kidding! I don't think there's a substitute and she just likes the narrow depth of field and way it renders light.
09-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #25

KEEP the 55DA!!..why is it exactly you want to get rid of it??!!

All the people bashing the 55 have not even handled it, let alone own it...it's a marvelous lens and the hood gives it character...did i mention it is also WR?
Unless your needs require 77, don't sell it!....and yes, I own it.
09-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #26
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to see that you have an eye on me and my decision.

Its a good thing to read all your thaughts and so can rethink my own.

You have to know that I owned the FA77 two years ago. It was a good time with my K10D:

So I know also the negativ sides of the FA77 good.

The DA*55 is a really nice lens. The SDM is not as quick as I thaught. Thats not a big point. The IQ is really very good.

But the FA77 is a lot smaller and it has a (sorry ) sexy IQ...

Rainer

Let me say something very cruel:

With a DA*55 on a K20D I sometimes think that I also could have bought a Canon...
With a FA77 on the same camera I feel like a happy Pentaxian...

Last edited by TKH; 09-15-2009 at 10:41 PM.
09-16-2009, 02:45 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I can relate to that (even though I haven't seen a 77 in real life). It seems like a very fine piece of engineering and the OOF areas are really quite special.
09-16-2009, 04:14 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With a DA*55 on a K20D I sometimes think that I also could have bought a Canon...
Rainer, I know what you mean. The FA series has incredible build most reminiscent of Zeiss or Leica glass, with fine machined parts, delicate but precise action and very functional design. Plus it is compact and self-contained. The feeling of the lens in use is a good reason to recommend it over the large plastic monsters.
09-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I agree with that somewhat! When I got the K-7, I could barely put the 50-135 on it. It just looked and felt wrong. Great glass, but didn't feel right, and I got rid of it.

The 55 was my best lens on the K20, without question, but the FA limiteds got a lot faster on the K-7 (much faster screw drive) and I use the 55 less now. I usually keep the 43 and 77 with me, and don't feel like I need much else (well, I do want that 15...).

But the DA* is definitely going to make it out in the winter for the weather sealing, and the winter is long! That's all I'm going to say there
09-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #30
Inactive Account

No way. I own the DA*55 and not the FA77. The FA77 on the pics is from user Tczobretti. Thats my point. I dont know if I should sell the DA for owning the FA?

Rainer
Sel all your DA's and get FA's or any FF lens when DA's are fetching money, Pentax will eventually will come up with an FF camera, wouldn't she? In this time period, until Pentax releases a FF camera, you would be ready with a full FF lens lineup you wish.