Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

From looking at the samples in reviews and by users here there appears little doubt the 55 is sharper wide open than the 77.

The 77's length and aperture give it a pleasant look, colour and contrast are wondeful but it has several flaws that stop it being a classic optic. The cyan fringing is chronic and cancer like for starters.

09-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #32
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
From looking at the samples in reviews and by users here there appears little doubt the 55 is sharper wide open than the 77.

So folks. Two hours ago I picked up a used, like new FA77 (565 €) from a guy in Stuttgart. Just speed to my hotel and jumped in the nearby park:

f1.8

f2.0

f2.8

f1.8

f2.0

f1.8

Now I´m happy!

Best,
Rainer
09-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I don't get this lens... I really don't.
Me either :ugh:
09-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #34
Pentaxian

55 is too close to the pack, IMO

While that DA* 55 looks like a great lens, there are so many options available at 50-58mm for Pentax mount that I just don't feel the need for it. I enjoy shooting everything from my STak 55 f/2 to F 50 1.7 to Helios 44 to..... etc.

The 77ltd is unique to Pentax. I'd always choose that if I were forced to choose between the two.

09-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Welcome to the club, Rainer. Looks like you are already enjoying. Good deal on the lens too!
09-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
Now I´m happy!
One can see why! Congrats on the purchase.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
The 77's length and aperture give it a pleasant look, colour and contrast are wonderful but it has several flaws that stop it being a classic optic. The cyan fringing is chronic and cancer like for starters.
What other problems do you see, apart from the fringing which, I guess, needs to be provoked a bit?
09-17-2009, 05:20 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The purple fringing needs to be provoked but the cyan appears wherever the hell it wants to. Lackof contrast wide open (something the 55 seems to have nailed) is my other gripe.
09-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The DA* 55 will only last until the SDM fails. The 77Ltd will last forever.

09-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Sel all your DA's and get FA's or any FF lens when DA's are fetching money, Pentax will eventually will come up with an FF camera, wouldn't she?
The DA* 55/1.4 covers full frame.
09-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The DA* 55/1.4 covers full frame.[/url]
Is that something intentional by designers, or Pentax just wanted to confuse consumers?
BTW is there any other DA FF lenses? We should know.
09-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #41
Pentaxian

BTW is there any other DA FF lenses?
Check out this thread regarding DA lenses on Full Frame.
09-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Check out this thread regarding DA lenses on Full Frame.
Thanks for the link. What I learned from that thread was, if there was a DA lens works in FF camera with acceptable vignetting, it is not an intended design, but it is just a coincident. Considering tough competition of Digital camera companies, thinking Pentax won't come up with an FF camera in the future is not a very convincing idea to me. So collecting DA lenses are illogical at least to me. It is like insisting of short lenses of Canon - analogy. But I also not holding breath for a FF Pentax camera, but it will come up eventually. In my part I won't get any more DA lenses other than my great 16-45mm. But there are marvelous F and FA lenses out there.

But it's just me.
09-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #43
Veteran Member

So collecting DA lenses are illogical at least to me. It is like insisting of short lenses of Canon - analogy.
There is one important difference: the EF-S lenses are physically incompatible with Canon's "full-frame" cameras, and can't be used with the latter at all.

Pentax's DA lenses (like Nikon's DX) are physically compatible with an eventual "full-frame" camera, and would therefore not become completely obsolete. It would be a piece of cake for Pentax to enable a "DA mode" on an "FA camera", just like it was for Nikon (and Sony, IIRC).
09-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
There is one important difference: the EF-S lenses are physically incompatible with Canon's "full-frame" cameras, and can't be used with the latter at all.
That's why I wouldn't invest on any EF-S lens if I was still a Canonian.

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote

Pentax's DA lenses (like Nikon's DX) are physically compatible with an eventual "full-frame" camera, and would therefore not become completely obsolete. It would be a piece of cake for Pentax to enable a "DA mode" on an "FA camera", just like it was for Nikon (and Sony, IIRC).
That piece of cake means cropping, that means it costs user as lost pixels from the corners and allowing smaller print size. Anyone can crop with the simple image editor. No big deal. Canonians can't even attach a EF-S lens to a FF camera unless they wanna hear mirror smashing noise. It's their problem, not ours.

So, my point is is still there, DA lens means smaller image area, and Pentax eventually ought to come up with an FF camera IMO.
09-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #45
Veteran Member

That piece of cake means cropping, that means it costs user as lost pixels from the corners and allowing smaller print size.
You're correct, of course.

However, by the time Pentax release a camera with an "FA" sensor (if they ever do), it will likely have more than 24MP, which means the DA crop mode would still have at least 10MP (eg. equivalent to the K10D).

It's not ideal, but the DA lenses would not become *obsolete*.