Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Thanks for the link. What I learned from that thread was, if there was a DA lens works in FF camera with acceptable vignetting, it is not an intended design, but it is just a coincident.
I kind of doubt that it is entirely coincidental. I'm sure Pentax knows how big they need to make a lens in order to cover FF at the various different focal lengths, and suspect that they had that in mind when designing the lens, so that if the design they were looking at was already close to covering FF, they might have pushed it just a little to make sure it did.

09-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I kind of doubt that it is entirely coincidental. I'm sure Pentax knows how big they need to make a lens in order to cover FF at the various different focal lengths, and suspect that they had that in mind when designing the lens, so that if the design they were looking at was already close to covering FF, they might have pushed it just a little to make sure it did.
Say it was all true, when most other DA's results like passing a tunnel, on an FF camera, why did they call it a DA lens then? Any ideas? :ugh:
09-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #48
Inactive Account

cbaytan - Aren't they called DA lenses because they are made for digital (not because how much frame they can cover)?

c[_]
09-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
cbaytan - Aren't they called DA lenses because they are made for digital (not because how much frame they can cover)?

c[_]
I meant why didn't call it as a D-FA lens, instead of just DA. I thought DA lenses for only covering APS-C format.....

Humble reminder: BTW we are talking about DA 55*, not others

09-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I meant why didn't call it as a D-FA lens, instead of just DA. I thought DA lenses for only covering APS-C format.....

Humble reminder: BTW we are talking about DA 55*, not others
The D-FA lenses (well, there are only two of them) have an aperture ring as well, something that's been shaved off all the DA lenses.

The DA*55 appears to cover the full frame, but there's just no point right now in marketing it as such without raising too many questions!

I talked with a Pentax rep at a photo show here in Toronto a few months ago, and he said when he first saw it he was looking for a press release for a FF camera!

We compared the rear elements on the FA50/1.4, DA*55 and Super Takumar 50/1.4 (I think... can't remember--sorry Steinback!). If the DA*55 doesn't look like a FF lens, I don't know what does! (sloppy pic attached)

They could have made a much different product if they geared it towards APS-C.

There were also pics taken on an MZ-S with the DA*55 when it first came out with no noticeable vignetting.

09-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Say it was all true, when most other DA's results like passing a tunnel, on an FF camera, why did they call it a DA lens then? Any ideas? :ugh:
Pentax has not produced any new lens with the "FA" name since they started making digital SLR's. I assume they've retired that designation. As for D-FA, as noted, those have aperture rings, and are really just tweaks of existing designs. I think they just label new lenses DA because that's the current series, and they don't want to be be giving people false hope of a future FF system by advertising that some of the new lenses might work with one.
09-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #52
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Pentax has not produced any new lens with the "FA" name since they started making digital SLR's. I assume they've retired that designation. As for D-FA, as noted, those have aperture rings, and are really just tweaks of existing designs. I think they just label new lenses DA because that's the current series, and they don't want to be be giving people false hope of a future FF system by advertising that some of the new lenses might work with one.
I see, "Don't wake people with FF lens names up, or APS-C camera sales will drop" philosophy huh? Smart Pentax.
09-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #53
Pentaxian

I think you've got it :-)

09-20-2009, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #54
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
The purple fringing needs to be provoked but the cyan appears wherever the hell it wants to. Lackof contrast wide open (something the 55 seems to have nailed) is my other gripe.
This way I see nothing that makes me worry.
Yesterday on a trip to Danemark. The FA77 lens arrived perfectly for our vacation week here:

f2

f2

f3.5

Rainer

Last edited by TKH; 09-20-2009 at 12:11 AM.