Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens repair

I bought a lens on ebay, a Chinar 135 MM f2.8, and noticed 2 "problems" with it..

1: oil on aperture blades. anything above f11 is useless, as in, it will not close any more than f11

2: The focus ring is quite hard to turn, as if the grease has hardened inside.

Is there a place i can send it to get it cleaned and lubed? Or would it be a waste of money, as i only paid $12.00 plus shipping for it.

Or, can i perform the cleaning and re lubing myself? The glass is fine in the lens, and i have taken a few really nice shots with it < at least nice for a noob like me >

I don't have the option of getting my money back, as it was an "as is" purchase.

05-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone?
05-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
DAP

Long story short - the repair is going to cost more than the lens. If I were you I would try opening it up myself and fixing it. If the blades are oily take the glass out of the lens barrel and clean the blades with rosonol lighter fluid - clean up the gunk under the aperture ring while you have it apart. Draw a bunch of pictures during dissassembly so you will know how to put it back together.
05-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I may just try it, nothing to lose, as i can find a similar lens pretty cheap. Thanks for the info !!

05-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
clean up the gunk under the aperture ring while you have it apart.
my mistake - you stated that you had an issue with the focussing ring not the aperture ring. Basically you are going to have to re-grease the focusing helical - you are going to have to experiment and figure out how to unscrew the focusing lens ring from the barrel helical (if you are going to do this remember to scribe mating marks between the two sets of threads so you know the exact place to screw them back together - if you mess it up and don't put it together exactly your lens will have a screwed up infinity focus). Clean the threads and lightly lube with light synthetic grease (use more/less grease depending on your preference for light/heavy focus feel).
05-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
Long story short - the repair is going to cost more than the lens. If I were you I would try opening it up myself and fixing it. If the blades are oily take the glass out of the lens barrel and clean the blades with rosonol lighter fluid - clean up the gunk under the aperture ring while you have it apart. Draw a bunch of pictures during dissassembly so you will know how to put it back together.
May I suggest an upgrade to the above option. PHOTOGRAPH IT!

When I take things apart I find a sequential series of images better than anything I can draw... and I can draw.

You will be rewarded with a great little series of images and what you will have accomplished. If you screw it up you will have a great series to remind you how you screwed it up

Good luck, and keep us informed.
05-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol, good point !! thanks for all the help guys, I just bid on a takumar 135mm f2.5. If I get that one, I will definitely try to fix the chinar.