Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally, it's here!

My 100mm Macro arrived today after a long, long delay.

I had been on the lookout for this lens for several months, and in mid-April, I found one listed as "Ex++" on an online photo store that I went ahead and order. I quickly learned that the store only accepted money orders for international orders, so another 3 weeks passed until I got the lens. To my disappointment, literally the entire barrel was covered in surface scratches, and there were even two large spots on the lens that were simply missing paint. Add to that a scratch below the focusing ring that was covered up with paint that didn't even match the color of the barrel...

Although the barrel itself didn't have any dents, I had never seen an FA lens in worse condition before. From time to time, the lens even made strange sounds when the focusing passed .7 meters, and the internal elements were also covered with dust.

I immediately decided to return the lens and find yet another copy, which Henry's conveniently provided on eBay. I have the auction a shot since the lens was pretty much in mint condition, and I ended up getting it for a reasonable price, too

Anyway, here's the good FA 100mm macro that just came it! I hope to put it to good over the summer in our botanical garden!

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Here are a few photos of the first lens. Not everything has to be perfect, but isn't this just way too much?

They said this was "very clean and tidy, has some very minor cosmetic wear"...
Attached Images

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Those last two shots look suspiciously like fungus.
05-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Here are a few photos of the first lens. Not everything has to be perfect, but isn't this just way too much?

Wow, that first one was really bad, can't even rate as bargain imo, especually the funny stuff (fungus?) inside the lens.

Congrats on getting the better copy. It's a very good lens, served me quite well for over a year before I got the DFA one

Cheers!

05-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I don't think it's fungus, but it sure looks suspicious. When you look at it closely, you can see little branches of dust spreading from a central point.

I've been using the D-FA 100 macro for a while now, but I've found that the lack of a limiter makes "action" macro shooting very hard (i.e. taking photos of bees). Because of that, I've "downgraded" to the better FA version. Too bad it's so big, though- more than twice the size of the 50mm macro.

Adam

05-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
clm

Fungi in Photographic Lens

Looks like fungus to me.
05-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I just checked the lens again (this time under a lamp), and it indeed does look like that's fungus! There's a small black spot that the fluff is growing out of it.

This is the first time I've actually seen fungus, however- but the lens will be on its way back to Vintage Visuals tomorrow. Good thing their customer service is friendly...and good thing I got the mint copy from Henry's

Adam

05-22-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

nice lens Mo. I'm sure hope that Vintage Visuals takes the ugly one back without any problems.

I should start watching Henry's for deals. Although my local guy is doing his best to help me out so I'll probably stay there

I've gotten some bargain lenses that have looked like new when they arrived, but never the other way around
05-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yeah, I think that everything will go smoothly with them.

I've got one more interesting detail about the two lenses, though! When I compared them side-by-side, I noticed that the newer lens has gold lettering on the aperture ring, while the damaged one has white lettering. I compared that to my other FA lenses, and I concluded that only recently-produced FA lenses have the gold lettering. Anyone else noticed this?

According to the serial numbers, the damaged lens is #3291 and the new lens is #10381. Must have been quite a gap...

Adam

05-24-2007, 03:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been using the D-FA 100 macro for a while now, but I've found that the lack of a limiter makes "action" macro shooting very hard (i.e. taking photos of bees). Because of that
Dont suppose you would be looking at letting go of the D-FA now you have this one? The only thing missing from my LBA list is a macro lens at the moment
05-24-2007, 05:36 AM   #11

Goes with:

"One careful lady owner..."

"Unwanted gift/prize"

"Trust me I'm a politician / used car salesman / insurance salesman..." (Apologies to any Pentaxians who are)

If that's "minor cosmetic wear", I'd hate to see any item this seller listed as 'in average condition'!!
05-24-2007, 07:12 AM   #12

Did you have to pay any customs fees when you ordered from Henry's?
05-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Dont suppose you would be looking at letting go of the D-FA now you have this one? The only thing missing from my LBA list is a macro lens at the moment
I won't be using the D-FA any more, but it's staying on the shelf- sorry. And you don't want to see a photo of my collection

QuoteOriginally posted by toobacat Quote
Did you have to pay any customs fees when you ordered from Henry's?
No- I'm pretty sure customs aren't added on packages sent via regular mail.

Adam

05-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clm Quote
Fungi in Photographic Lens

Looks like fungus to me.
Interesting link.... hmm, indicates that storing lenses in their leather cases can encourage the growth of fungus. Wow! Has anyone else heard this?

I just bought a handful of old leather cases to store my M series and Takumar lenses, I hate to hear using them for long term storage is a bad idea!

germar
05-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Leather cases should be fine as long as it isn't moist around and as long as you leave some silica gel packes inside. None of my lenses have ever gotten fugus, for the record

Adam