Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm, I see it the other way around - the 43 images appearing unnaturally cold in color. But it's just as likely to be just a matter of the camera having selected a slightly different WB. And also pointless trying to judge much on one or two sample images, especially reproduced so small - even if the 43 really does consistently reproduce colors colder than the 40, chances are that will be more appropriate half the time and less appropriate half the time.

09-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But it's just as likely to be just a matter of the camera having selected a slightly different WB.
Yes, it's not a real technical test, I think I'd change a few things if I did it again to make it more realistic, such as setting white balance with a gray card. Photos taken with the 43 tend to have richer greens and reds than any of my other lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
Wow, the colors from the 43 looks nice compared to the 40 imho.
I tend to prefer the colors from the 43 too (BUT, only if under low light or indoors). On the other hand, the 40 produces almost no purple fringing, which makes it great for bright outdoor shots, unlike my experience with the 43. The 43 does great indoors and in low-light situations because of it's wider aperture.
09-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by muustuus Quote
I think it is pretty hard to see any difference in a 400px photo. You don't happen to have any bigger versions?

.muus
No, I don't, sorry. I'm thinking of doing this again though, and I'll save the full-size image and post links to them.
09-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooldude14es Quote
Wow, excellent comparison... yeah, one can see the difference between both lenses.

I can tell you I own the FA43 and I simply love it, once you get used to it you cant stop shooting with it.

I guess If I had the DA40 my feelings would be the same... I mean you wont regret with any of them.
Thanks. I agree, it's difficult to stop shooting with the 43. It was my first lens purchased only weeks after I bought my K10D with the kit lens, and it has hardly been removed from the body since.

The 43 finally has some competition after I recently bought the DA 17-70. I think it's a little jealous!

09-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Thanks for the test Builttospill, and great modeling from your daughter!

I just recently bought the DA40 and actually am very surprised with it, and the only complaint about it is the focal length (what a dream would be to have the same exactly lens but at 30mm!)

In any case, I was just curious to know what led you to first purchase the FA43 then the DA40, since they are very similar lenses?
09-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #36

I figured this would be a good thread for me to chime in. I currently own the
DA 21/40/70 trio and an FA 77, so I feel that I have a fairly good grasp on each series of lenses. I can say without any doubt that neither lens will disappoint. Each will offer excellent image quality, which frankly, for the most part is going to be pretty indistinguishable.

I think it would be more beneficial to think in terms of which would suit your style of shooting better. Are those low apertures important to you? I used to be the type who would shoot at 1.2-2.4 but then I felt that those bokeh heavy shots are kind of a cheap way of making shots more appealing- just my personal opinion though and I understand that there's many creative ways to make use of it. I think 2.8 provides plenty of speed to adequately separate a subject from their background. I guess the best indicator is to look at how you mostly shoot to see this is important.

I think the decision should rest mostly on how the lenses handle and work for you. Many people have trouble MF'ing with the DA primes, so that might be something to consider. Personally, I never had issue with it. I often just MF with just my thumb and it's actually very fast and accurate, then again I have slender fingers. MF'ing on the FA 77, which I'm assuming is similar to the FA 43, was excellent.

On that same thought, the sizes of these lenses are a huge deal. For myself, the DA limited trio can simply not be beat with the K-7. I'm thinking of writing up how this pairing functions because it feels like they are made for each other. The trio is incredibly useful and goes places where other lenses can't. For example, if I'm are going to a concert, a crowded area, or I simply just don't want a bag, I can easily fit 2 lenses in my pockets and put one on the camera. Anything that makes you take your camera out more is a worthy investment in my opinion. It feels great handling the K-7 with the reduced weight of these lenses, I really do believe it makes a difference in shooting. It's so easy to just pull the camera up and take a quick shot, the DA 40 is especially great in this regard. My style of shooting focuses on capturing natural, candid emotion, so this is very important to me.

Also in regards to this style, the DA limiteds are great because they are so unintimidating. People react much differently to these lenses than they would to a DA 16-50, which is frightening to have right in your face. Yes, the FA limiteds aren't that much scarier, but the DA limiteds are just so subtle.

So, those are just a few more thoughts to throw in. I'm not really the person to talk about when it comes to IQ, PF, or colors because I always find that all of my primes produce excellent results.
09-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Thanks for the test Builttospill, and great modeling from your daughter!

I just recently bought the DA40 and actually am very surprised with it, and the only complaint about it is the focal length (what a dream would be to have the same exactly lens but at 30mm!)

In any case, I was just curious to know what led you to first purchase the FA43 then the DA40, since they are very similar lenses?
Thank you for the compliment. My daughter is starting to enjoy modeling for me now!

The 1.9 aperture made the 43 my first choice. After quite a few lenses in between I wanted something I could use outdoors and get similar results (plus the quick-shift focusing on the DA lenses is nice) without the purple fringing and a little wider point-of-view. Now that I have it I really like the pancake size, although the 43 is still used more often (and still a favorite) I think the 40 will continue to grow on me.

Last edited by builttospill; 09-21-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Typo
09-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #38
TKH
Veteran Member

I just owned both lenses and in my opinion you have to search the difference in the bokeh:

Pictues taken years ago with my K10D both at f2.8, but when you take a look at the background and there specialy too the chair, you will see it.

The DA40 is the more modern, harder lens.

The FA is clearly the more smooth rendering lens. It has a buttery bokeh.

After a long time with both FA and DA lenses I think the FA lenses render more creamy. I dont know if the words mean the same in English, but in German we say that the FA lenses are the lenses with the warmer way (on the way to the yellow) to show pics. DAs are colder (goes to the blue) with more contrast. Its a thing of like or not like and no quality issue. Like Leica and Zeiss lenses in the rangefinder world. I love the clear contrasty way of the fantastic DA35 for all day and macro shooting, but prefer the beautiful rendering way of the FA77 for portrait (sold my DA*55 for that reason).

We are very lucky on the Pentax planet that we can have both worlds in one bag.

Rainer
09-22-2009, 03:31 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what would be really interesting to test the voigtlander ultron 40mm f/2 pancake against the FA 43 limited I think that would be a fairer comparison because they are both full format lenses, and secondly they are about the same speed. It really isn't fair comparing an f/1.9 lens against an f/2.8 lens that is designed for digital.
09-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
I just owned both lenses and in my opinion you have to search the difference in the bokeh:

Pictues taken years ago with my K10D both at f2.8, but when you take a look at the background and there specialy too the chair, you will see it.

The DA40 is the more modern, harder lens.

The FA is clearly the more smooth rendering lens. It has a buttery bokeh.

After a long time with both FA and DA lenses I think the FA lenses render more creamy. I dont know if the words mean the same in English, but in German we say that the FA lenses are the lenses with the warmer way (on the way to the yellow) to show pics. DAs are colder (goes to the blue) with more contrast. Its a thing of like or not like and no quality issue. Like Leica and Zeiss lenses in the rangefinder world. I love the clear contrasty way of the fantastic DA35 for all day and macro shooting, but prefer the beautiful rendering way of the FA77 for portrait (sold my DA*55 for that reason).

We are very lucky on the Pentax planet that we can have both worlds in one bag.

Rainer
Nice comparison Rainer. I've had both lenses at different times. So I can't compare them directly. Do you think DA 40 is more "contrasty" than FA 43?
09-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #41
TKH
Veteran Member

Yes, Stratario it is. The DA40 is IMHO the most underrated Pentax lens. Its not only small and cosy. Its the one of the quickest Pentax prime lens I ever used. The IQ is very good for the money. Like the most DA primes it has a nice sharpness and good contrast all over the whole picture till to the edges. The center sharpness of my DA40 copy was wide open at f2.8 nearley as good as my FA43 copy stopped down to 2.8! That is sensational.

DA40

FA43

If I will one day own a K7, the DA40 will shurly come back in my bag. Bag? Bah, a K7 with DA40 will fit in the jacket...

Rainer
09-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Nice comparison; the FA 43mm definitely shows more red in the picture than the DA 40mm. Interesting how even at the same aperture, the 43mm exhibits more bokeh in the background.

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
I just owned both lenses and in my opinion you have to search the difference in the bokeh. Pictures taken years ago with my K10D both at f2.8, but when you take a look at the background and there specialy too the chair, you will see it.
09-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Can't comment on the 43, I've never owned it. Here are some pics with the DA40:

09-23-2009, 06:31 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Very neat shot with the Cat in that last shot. Love the highlights in your son's eyes.!
09-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #45

I agree^^^, excellent shot! Was the lighting off a book light or something you set up?