Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGuru Quote
Hmm, mine hiccuped the other night (DA 18-55). I've got 5 days to send it back, and now I'm thinking I should before the lens bricks completely on me.
The DA18-55 is not an SDM lens. If you have a focusing problem with it, it's something else.

09-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The biggest issue is that people are technology hungry. I remember when power windows first became an option on automobiles. I was pretty much against them -- just one more thing to break and my arm worked just fine to roll up and down my windows. Well, I guess I was right. I have, over time, paid to have a couple of motors replaced for my car's windows. At the same time, every car out there has power windows now.

There is no way for me to go to a car company and say -- this feature isn't important, please leave it off. Once the new technology caught hold, everyone had to have it -- whether or not it was really better. Maybe a bad example, but people want SDM, just SDM that works and doesn't break at a phenomenally high rate.

I am glad that Pentax continues to make screw driven lenses, but I hope that they will get their issues sorted out with regard to SDM. The lenses may not last for thirty years, but they should be able to last for ten or fifteen years. Hey, I'll sell mine as a "manual focus" zoom on e bay when it burns out and someone who isn't interested in electronics will scoop it up.

I have no problem with the new technology and I know it can be made reliable. It's like the AF540 flashes getting stuck on the hotshoe because they used a cheap plastic part instead of a metal one that would have been 5 cents more.

The SDM lenses are already expensive. Perhaps it is due to the high quality glass, perhaps it is due to the technology of the SDM. But if Pentax wasn't pinching pennies, it could be made much more reliable for very little additional cost to Pentax.

On the flip side, the noisy screw drive system is really unrefined in this day and age. I cringe every time the focus ring slams against the end of the range.
09-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #48
Pentaxian

I still don't believe these SDM failure reports. In our Pentax Friends Site - Pentax K20D - Pentax K200D club there are hundreds of SDM lens owners and not a single one reported this kind of problem. I spoke with the service operator in Czech pentax branch and all the DA* lenses he sent to Hamburg for repair (he doesn't have equipmnt to repair them himself) were damaged physically (likely by falling to the ground).
I can't deny there may be few lenses that fail, but almost certainly not 5%. That is too much.
09-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I was thinking about getting the 200MM f2.8, but this litany of problems has killed that. Even if this is a relatively small statistical sample, it's enough to put me off spending that kind of money for something that appears to be problematical (especially when I can live without it).

The thread about problems with customer service finally pulled a Pentax employee out of the woodwork; I'm a bit surprised that no one has stepped up to address this issue.

09-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #50

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
I was thinking about getting the 200MM f2.8, but this litany of problems has killed that. Even if this is a relatively small statistical sample, it's enough to put me off spending that kind of money for something that appears to be problematical (especially when I can live without it).

The thread about problems with customer service finally pulled a Pentax employee out of the woodwork; I'm a bit surprised that no one has stepped up to address this issue.
If you are concerned get an extended warranty. Chances are you won't need it, but if you can sleep at night not a bad investment. BH extended warranties, for example seem pretty good.
09-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

What issue? None is claiming there is an issue with the 200 F2.8.
09-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #52

I don't think so. The 50-135 works fine w/ SDM focusing on the K200D.

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
So maybe this is a K200d issue?
09-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
The DA18-55 is not an SDM lens. If you have a focusing problem with it, it's something else.
LOL! I think I found the problem anyway. I think I was rubbing up against the trigger on the grip. Hasn't hiccuped once since.

09-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeGuru Quote
LOL! I think I found the problem anyway. I think I was rubbing up against the trigger on the grip. Hasn't hiccuped once since.
Been there, done that - many times.
09-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #55

i'd be surprised if the total amount of defective units are over 2%
09-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #56
Site Supporter

I have no problems with mine and haven't heard of any one else either. Seeing as you have to lay down a grand for one I'm sure if there was a problem it would show up on this site.
09-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Hmmm, no one's picked up on how the 60-250 failure rate in the mentioned poll is still 0%. Since this is one of the newest SDM lenses, could it be that Pentax has made some improvements? Are the bulk of failures from other SDM lenses made more than a year ago, for example? Just some food for thought.

A friend of mine has 3 or 4 SDM lenses - one is two years old - and has had no problems whatsoever, so either he's a total fluke or the problem isn't as rampant as it seems, as some have alluded to (i.e. only people with real problems will speak up as opposed to the silent majority with no issues). In other words, could it be that the actual failure rate is far less than the 2% being batted around? I'm starting to think so.
09-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Hmmm, no one's picked up on how the 60-250 failure rate in the mentioned poll is still 0%. Since this is one of the newest SDM lenses, could it be that Pentax has made some improvements? Are the bulk of failures from other SDM lenses made more than a year ago, for example? Just some food for thought.

A friend of mine has 3 or 4 SDM lenses - one is two years old - and has had no problems whatsoever, so either he's a total fluke or the problem isn't as rampant as it seems, as some have alluded to (i.e. only people with real problems will speak up as opposed to the silent majority with no issues). In other words, could it be that the actual failure rate is far less than the 2% being batted around? I'm starting to think so.
The failure rate in the DPR poll for the 16-25 was over 30 percent, for the 50-135 about 17 percent. One would certainly hope it is below those worrisome figures. Where did you get the 2% from?
09-27-2009, 03:54 AM   #59
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

With such a large difference in figures, it's plain to see the problem with such polls - responder bias.
Those who have problems are more likely to respond to polls than happy users without problems with the gear.
This also doesn't take into account any contributing factors to why SDM failed.
I couldn't imagine those figures being so high on this forum given the number of users with the lens here.
09-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
it's plain to see the problem with such polls - responder bias.
Those who have problems are more likely to respond to polls than happy users without problems with the gear.
Totally agree with you there Ash.

When I worked in a customer service call centre just after I left university, they used to say that if a customer had a good service from you, they were likely to tell one person, but if they had a bad service from you, they were likely to tell ten people; especially when throwing frustrations into the mix.