Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #61
Not Registered

Not a motor problem but it is my understanding that the three DA*55 f1.4 that dpreview tested were decentered. So that would make 3/11 lenses with issues on this model. I also recall people reporting problems with the limited 35 macro.

But the truth is that Zeiss has also issues on some lenses. The nikon 17-35 f2.8 is known to have problems with the focusing ring. The Nikon AFD 50 f1.4 assembled in china seems to be prone to problems. The Canon 300f4 IS range from sharp to extremely sharp depending on the copies and the same goes for other focal lengths. THe Canon 24-105 f4 had a huge problem with flare upon release and the list can go forever.

That means that every brand has their own issues but the main problem with pentax is that the most problematic lenses are in the range that it is the bread and butter of most of the photographers with a real passion for photography. For many people the perspective of expending 1500 USD in 2 lenses for the first time is pretty stressing. If you add 20% chances of having a bad copy then the stress become terror. Those zooms are the last ones that you should allow to have problems and if you detect problems an expedite recall to solve the problem should have been issued. The failure to recognize these problems have drifted away a lot of people from Pentax and IMHO made Pentax loose the momentum gained with the K10d/100d duo.

09-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Not a motor problem but it is my understanding that the three DA*55 f1.4 that dpreview tested were decentered. So that would make 3/11 lenses with issues on this model. I also recall people reporting problems with the limited 35 macro.

But the truth is that Zeiss has also issues on some lenses. The nikon 17-35 f2.8 is known to have problems with the focusing ring. The Nikon AFD 50 f1.4 assembled in china seems to be prone to problems. The Canon 300f4 IS range from sharp to extremely sharp depending on the copies and the same goes for other focal lengths. THe Canon 24-105 f4 had a huge problem with flare upon release and the list can go forever.

That means that every brand has their own issues but the main problem with pentax is that the most problematic lenses are in the range that it is the bread and butter of most of the photographers with a real passion for photography. For many people the perspective of expending 1500 USD in 2 lenses for the first time is pretty stressing. If you add 20% chances of having a bad copy then the stress become terror. Those zooms are the last ones that you should allow to have problems and if you detect problems an expedite recall to solve the problem should have been issued. The failure to recognize these problems have drifted away a lot of people from Pentax and IMHO made Pentax loose the momentum gained with the K10d/100d duo.
These are great lenses optically. I think Pentax should offer a 3 year warranty for the SDM lenses, to prove that they stand behind their products. I think they would sell considerably more lenses with something like that, than they would if they dropped their prices.

Many more people are put off by the fear of an SDM motor breaking, than by the actual cost of the lens. Stand behind your product and people will line up to get it.
09-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #63
Veteran Member

It wouldn't put me off buying more SDM lenses, if my 1000 DA* 300 packed in out of warranty, I'd drop it so it smashed; then call the house insurance .

Not that I have the DA* 300mm mind you.
09-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #64
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Many more people are put off by the fear of an SDM motor breaking, than by the actual cost of the lens. Stand behind your product and people will line up to get it.
Excellent point.
And by benefitting Pentax in this way, they'd be more likely to honour customers' request to extend warranty on the lenses.

09-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #65
Inactive Account

Well, it has happened to me now. My 50-135 SDM failed. Manual focus only. I've only had this lens for under one year, so off to Pentax I go this week. We'll see what happens.
09-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #66
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Sad to hear mate.
Keep us posted with developments.
10-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #67

SDM died on my 16-50 as well. Of course I bought it secondhand and thus got the wonderful 1 year warranty. If only the original owner had bought it at a Pentax Pro centre, it would still have its 2 year warranty valid I guess

The lens is now about 18 months old, and I got a repair quote at over 2000 NOK ex. vat, that is about 350 usd in todays money.

I'm not sure what to do right now. It's pretty worthless as is, and I can't expect to find a suitable replacement for the cost of repairing it, although a secondhand Sigma or Tamron might be possible. Makes me a bit anxious thinking about the DA* 50-135 and DA* 300 in my bag..
10-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #68
Veteran Member

I have DA*300 and I'm not buying any more SDM lens due to all this problems......

If SDM dies, why doesn't engage automaticaly by screw instead of only manual ??

10-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #69
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps we all can collectively raise our SDM concerned to Pentax and get a definitive answer to this problem. Seems a shame we'd have to shy away from SDM because of all the failures we hear about on these expensive lenses...
10-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #70
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Perhaps we all can collectively raise our SDM concerned to Pentax and get a definitive answer to this problem. Seems a shame we'd have to shy away from SDM because of all the failures we hear about on these expensive lenses...
i am one of those that will not buy an SDM lens while this "Issue" lingers.

your suggestion is a good one. problem is who at pentax do you send this to?

And i believe pentax already knows. Check out the problem from Gerard B. in the other forum. JohnCPentax responded and said they're "looking into it". that's after 2 years of the SDM being in the market.

If pentax does not believe there is an issue w/ the SDM, they'll do nothing.
and that's sad, cause optically, these DA* lenses are great.

regards,
jordan
10-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote

regards,
jordan
How will you know when it is over? I think the solution is really extended warranty, if you want quality lenses.
10-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #72
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote

your suggestion is a good one. problem is who at pentax do you send this to?

And i believe pentax already knows. Check out the problem from Gerard B. in the other forum. JohnCPentax responded and said they're "looking into it". that's after 2 years of the SDM being in the market.

If pentax does not believe there is an issue w/ the SDM, they'll do nothing.
and that's sad, cause optically, these DA* lenses are great.
All the more reason for more people to get behind the complaint with Pentax with more voices. One person complaining to Pentax would probably achieve little.

Contacts - there should be a number of people on this forum who have some idea who this issue can be raised with directly in Pentax, and if this is the case I'd be happy to be involved in readdressing the problem in a letter/email with members' support.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
How will you know when it is over? I think the solution is really extended warranty, if you want quality lenses.
Like Tamron's 6 year warranty (for US customers only ).
That really would be great - but would really hope for an international warranty that's honoured for us non-US buyers...
10-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #73
Pentaxian

FWIW, so far my DA*55/1.4 and DA*60-250 have been flawless.
Now, to be fair, i;ve only done a few thousand shots with the 55 and a few hundred with the 60-250.
The only issue I have is that they are so quiet it's hard to know if they are working or not when they are adjusting to slight subject movements that aren't so visible in the viewfinder.
10-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I recall reading about someone who replaced the "plastic part" themselves after getting a replica mold of the piece made of stronger material. Would anyone have a source for this? Thanks!
10-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

Like Tamron's 6 year warranty (for US customers only ).
That really would be great - but would really hope for an international warranty that's honoured for us non-US buyers...
Same feeling here !!