Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which to keep....F50mm F1.7, or FA50mm F1.4?

So tonight I picked up a mint used SF1n, with an F50mm f1.7. Couldn't pass up at the price. Will be great to play around with film when I get a chance.

Now, I am already a proud owner of a FA50mm f1.4 I haven't had a chance to properly compare, but I've read the two are very close in performance, even with the half stop difference.

If I can actually convince myself on parting with one of them....are their any recommendations on which one I should bounce?

Right now, I'm leaning towards flipping my FA50 as it's higher resale value will help more toward my slow growing 16-50 fund.

Problem is....I seem to be much better at buying lenses...than selling them.

09-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Igilligan

I am in the same boat

Well kind of the same boat. I have the FA 50 1.7 and the FA 50 1.4 --- one or both have to go.

If it is one, I am leaning towards keeping the 1.7... not enough of a difference, and I think the FA 1.7 is sharper at 1.7 than the FA 1.4 is at 1.7...

Plus, we should get more $'s for the 1.4's right?

Last edited by Igilligan; 09-16-2009 at 08:52 PM.
09-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it's depends on which rendering you would prefer. as you know, it's quite rare to see an F/FA 1.7 being sold in the market as oppose to the FA 1.4 which is sold on a regular constant basis.

1.7 is very sharp wide open while the 1.4 has a beautiful bokeh. the 1.4 only matches the 1.7 sharpness above 2.8. so which one is more important for you?

as for me, I have a 1.2 for the purpose of shooting a soft-sharp subject and a 1.7 for razor sharpness at higher apertures.
09-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I was in the same boat about 2 weeks ago. I kept my F50/1.7 instead of the FA50/1.4. I think it's just because I like the F series lenses better. If I could get an F50/1.4 for a reasonable price, I would trade my 50/1.7 for it (and give up a bit of cash of course). But I'm still perfectly happy with my 50/1.7, and it's one with a metal construction, so i like it even more. I've had a few other copies of the lens in my time, and most of those had plastic construction. Not sure when they changed it, but I think mine was earlier in the production run. Just wish my F28/2.8 was the same...but it's plastic instead.

09-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
I was in the same boat about 2 weeks ago. I kept my F50/1.7 instead of the FA50/1.4. I think it's just because I like the F series lenses better. If I could get an F50/1.4 for a reasonable price, I would trade my 50/1.7 for it (and give up a bit of cash of course). But I'm still perfectly happy with my 50/1.7, and it's one with a metal construction, so i like it even more. I've had a few other copies of the lens in my time, and most of those had plastic construction. Not sure when they changed it, but I think mine was earlier in the production run. Just wish my F28/2.8 was the same...but it's plastic instead.
I always thought the F's are all plastic... good to know!
09-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I love my F 50 1.7

it is as good as any of my ltd for friction of the price. I got this lens for $100 and some of my favorite photos were taken with this lens.
if you are asking me no reason to sell either one. two great lenses and you cant really have too many 50 mm lenses

here is a sample from my F 50mm

09-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
So tonight I picked up a mint used SF1n, with an F50mm f1.7. Couldn't pass up at the price. Will be great to play around with film when I get a chance.

Now, I am already a proud owner of a FA50mm f1.4 I haven't had a chance to properly compare, but I've read the two are very close in performance, even with the half stop difference.

If I can actually convince myself on parting with one of them....are their any recommendations on which one I should bounce?

Right now, I'm leaning towards flipping my FA50 as it's higher resale value will help more toward my slow growing 16-50 fund.

Problem is....I seem to be much better at buying lenses...than selling them.

I feel your pain. Right now I have both the F 50 1.7 and the FA 50 1.7. How will I choose? I feel like they're both getting rare enough that I should think about keeping both...
09-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Isn't the FA version of 1.7 still rarer?

09-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I started with an FA f1.4 which I still have. Then along the way I acquired an F f1.7 which was aesthetically beat-up but man it was sharp wide open! But I eventually sold the F f1.7 and found myself an F f1.4, which I think is the best of the three.

I love primes, especially those suited for portraits. As long as I can afford to, I'll keep both these fine 50mm lenses. Eventually I'd like to get another but better-looking copy of F f1.7, and perhaps the elusive FA f1.7!
09-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I started with an FA f1.4 which I still have. Then along the way I acquired an F f1.7 which was aesthetically beat-up but man it was sharp wide open! But I eventually sold the F f1.7 and found myself an F f1.4, which I think is the best of the three.

I love primes, especially those suited for portraits. As long as I can afford to, I'll keep both these fine 50mm lenses. Eventually I'd like to get another but better-looking copy of F f1.7, and perhaps the elusive FA f1.7!
that thing really is elusive. I acquired my copy by luck some months ago. actually I was looking for any autofocus 1.7 there is in the market during that time and came across a bid on an F 1.7 on eBay. I lost the bid where the lens was sold for 135, I think. a bit disappointed for not getting one, I searched and waited for about 3days on eBay, then all of a sudden, I saw an FA 1.7 for bid or buy option and saw there were quite a few characters after the lens as well trying to outbid the other. I said to myself, I'm not letting this one slip thru my fingers and decided to buy the lens even it cost me 50 bucks more than the lens retail value for a brand new. I never saw one being sold on eBay again.

fwiw, if you want to get the same sharpness of the FA 1.7 at f/2 and above, you could buy an FA35/2 as an alternative. the only difference that I saw so far with the two lenses is that the 1.7 has a brighter and luminous rendering, aside from the fl difference. though I must say that I prefer to use the 1.7 for portraiture more due to better crop ratio.
09-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If your plan is to use the 50 you keep for night photography, keep the F1,7. It is sharper wide open than the f1,7. I used the Af1,4 and Ff1,7 and kept the f1,7 because, in addition to AF, it was better at f1,7 than the A at f1,8. I never used the A below f2, while I use the f1,7 wide open if needed.

If you don't plan on using it wide open, I'd say the FA is usually seen as better built, with a better bokeh. That being said, the bokeh of my f1,7 is still beautiful.

The f1,4 should resell for more, too, as others have said. But not much more.
09-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@redpigeons:
stunning shot

@OP:
take my opinion with huge reservations as I don't own 50/1.4 but I have mint copy of F50/1.7. I don't tend to use it a lot but everytime I do, I call myself an idiot for not doing so. This lens is one of the most rewarding lenses I've had. I love it's colour rendition, I love it's sharpness, and on APSC it's great length for portraits IMHO (though extra 5-8mm would be nice for this purpose).
As far as FA50/1.4 goes, lot of people love it's bokeh (1.7s have only 6 blades, but I still find the bokeh good) but general consesus is that Pentax 50/1.7 have always been sharper than 50/1.4 (at least up to certain f stop).
If you can afford keep both, if you have to/want to sell one sell FA50/1.4 it gives you more money towards DA*16-50 and you'll be plenty happy with F50/1.7.

BR
Peter
09-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
are you sure that F50/1.7 has metal guts?
My copy is really light to have metal guts, and I find it weird to change construction in the middle the production run from metal to plastic. I've always thought most of Fs were plastic fantastics though I have to admit I handled F70-210 and that one was either filled with gravel or had metal inners...

BR
Peter
09-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
My goodness. I got the same body and the F version was the stock lens in a deal that I could never resist. That was two years ago.
At the end of the day I sold my FA50mmF1.4 the same price I paid brand new as there was a shortage of supply.
I based on the my decision as I like the older look of the the older F version. Also it was easier to sell the FA new version with warranty.
Really the difference between the two versions is tiny tiny indeed. Warranty or no warranty has really not much relevance. After 20 yrs this lens will still be kicking

My all time fav image from the F 1.7 version

The image was taken in a flash occasion. But who cares if you have a low light lens? The left top corner happened to be the smelly socks of another photographer

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; 09-17-2009 at 02:54 PM.
09-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
Forum Member

hmm so f1.4>f1.7>FA1.7>FA1.4 @ f1.7/f2 ?? (for sharpness)

I've got a bunch of 50mm's and too need to decide what to keep...

having a f1.2 + f1.7 combo would be ideal?