Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #1

Damaged 50-135 (was: Help!!! Don't know where to post!!!)

I dropped my 50-135 and it broke! The bottom part of the lens almost came off! How much would it cost to get it fixed? Any ideas.... or would it be better to just buy a new one?
Thanks.

09-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pdangcil Quote
I dropped my 50-135 and it broke! The bottom part of the lens almost came off! How much would it cost to get it fixed? Any ideas.... or would it be better to just buy a new one?
Thanks.
Best thing to do is to take it into to the nearest authorized pentax repair place and have them take a look at it. If you look hard you can find them. My guess is in the $100-$250 range unless they need to re-align the inner elements. Could be more or less depending on if parts need replacing.

Get a repair quote and if it is less than what you would pay for a new one, just get it repaired.
09-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

Thanks.
Just to let you know, my heart goes out to you! I just broke a flash off the hotshoe of my k10d whilst shooting a wedding this past weekend. I hate when my gear blows itself up!

Good luck.
09-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
I appreciate the quick replies... I agree tho... if the price is less than a new one, then I would go ahead and get it fixed. I'll be in Colorado Springs this weekend for six weeks. I'm planning on driving up to Golden, CO and visit the center there. Good idea?

09-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

I appreciate the quick replies... I agree tho... if the price is less than a new one, then I would go ahead and get it fixed. I'll be in Colorado Springs this weekend for six weeks. I'm planning on driving up to Golden, CO and visit the center there. Good idea?
No. I live there and they will laugh at you and turn you away. The only thing you can do is send it to them. Their repair shop is in Westminster in some random building there. I've offered to drive my k10 to them once and they said that, even if I brought it to them, they would send me back home and ask me to ship it to.
09-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by branphlake Quote
No. I live there and they will laugh at you and turn you away. The only thing you can do is send it to them. Their repair shop is in Westminster in some random building there. I've offered to drive my k10 to them once and they said that, even if I brought it to them, they would send me back home and ask me to ship it to.
What?!!!! I should ship it now before I leave then! That sucks! Need to get a quote tho. Thanks for all your help!
09-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
Forum Member

What?!!!! I should ship it now before I leave then! That sucks! Need to get a quote tho. Thanks for all your help!
They're going to tell you to send it to them. Why not just send it to them while you are in Colorado? It would get there the next day and then you wouldn't have to worry about it getting damaged in shipping (a longer distance, assuming you're not in colorado already). They won't quote any work unless they look at what they're working with. Can you post a picture of the damage? I've worked in a camera store before (that doesn't give me any authority, except that I've been around repair work, etc) and I, or someone else on the forum, might be able to give you a general idea of the lens' damage-to-cost ratio. Thanks.

09-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by branphlake Quote
They're going to tell you to send it to them. Why not just send it to them while you are in Colorado? It would get there the next day and then you wouldn't have to worry about it getting damaged in shipping (a longer distance, assuming you're not in colorado already). They won't quote any work unless they look at what they're working with. Can you post a picture of the damage? I've worked in a camera store before (that doesn't give me any authority, except that I've been around repair work, etc) and I, or someone else on the forum, might be able to give you a general idea of the lens' damage-to-cost ratio. Thanks.
Here are some pics!

09-17-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
If You'll be forced to buy new lens, perhaps I could buy that one from You for parts. In such a case send PM. Although I hope You won't have to.
09-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #10
Forum Member

As long as the inner circuitry is not busted (it sits right about where the lens broke), it shouldn't be terribly expensive. It kinda looks like you just broke off the plastic housing where the mount is attached. They might just replace those parts, in which case you might pay more in labor costs, because the circuitry for the SDM and mount coupling would need to be re-attached.

Hope this all works out.