Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #16

Original Poster
That was a great review. This will probably work out good then...

Ive read Scott Kelby's first 2 books but my impression was that he was a bit of a dickhead.

09-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jolinjo Quote
I think we more or less mean the same things but I'm not as of yet so experienced with different terms and expressions in the photographic world. For me a fish eye is much more extreme than a wide angle & therefore I thought of the 2 as separate things.
Wide angle is anything wider than normal. On a Pentax DSLR, "normal" is somewhere between 28 & 35, depending on how you define normal. But any focal length shorter than 28 counts as wide angle to some degree. But of course, the lower the focal length, the wider. Fisheyes aren't necessarily "more wide" than other wide angles, exactly - they just have a particular type of distortion.
09-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pb_red Quote
ps, fish-eye lenses may be fun but they are expensive and used very infrequently by most. at least that's what i've read... plus you can always get a wide angle lens and use post-processing to apply the fish-eye effect if you're going for that look.
Fisheyes are really no more expensive, or cheap, than are other lenses. I see them on Ebay right now ranging from about $200 for the Zenitar 16mm to $340 - $430 for the 10-17mm.

Flickr: The Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye Pool
Flickr: The Pentax DA Fisheye 10-17mm Pool

That shows the versatility of a 10-17mm. It's close focusing ability and distorted perspective can make for some interesting images. I love mine.
09-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have a feeling taht after you buy it you'll discover a need for limiteds that you didnt think exist...

09-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Fisheyes are really no more expensive, or cheap, than are other lenses. I see them on Ebay right now ranging from about $200 for the Zenitar 16mm to $340 - $430 for the 10-17mm.

Flickr: The Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye Pool
Flickr: The Pentax DA Fisheye 10-17mm Pool

That shows the versatility of a 10-17mm. It's close focusing ability and distorted perspective can make for some interesting images. I love mine.
all i meant is that they are expensive when you look at it in terms of cost/benefit. that is, if you spend 90% of your time shooting with a $400 zoom lens and 10% of your time shooting with a $400 fish-eye then the amount of benefit you get out of the same amount of money spent is much lower when compared to the zoom.

so again, while the fish-eye may be fun and worth the money for some people it's not very versatile or useful for everyone. it's a very special purpose lens and if you have the money to spend on one or you feel that you get a lot of benefit out it then by all means get one.

the OP was asking for advice on a first lens and it's obvious that money is a concern for him. as such, i would not recommend a fish-eye. your opinions may vary
09-19-2009, 06:22 AM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help guys !

Just reached home with a brand new K-7 and the 40/2.8. I prefer the grip on my old K200D but still the K-7 seems like a fantastic camera.

This is like a new beginning for me : )

One last question, does anyone know a good place online were you can purchase filters for Pentax lenses ?
09-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Cheapest place I've seen online is hvstar.net. They're from Hongkong and there have never been a claim that they are conterfeit products. (There were long discussion threads in the DPR forums attempting to prove that they're fake)
09-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolinjo Quote
One last question, does anyone know a good place online were you can purchase filters for Pentax lenses ?
Don't forget, you don't want to put a cheap filter on your beautiful Pentax lenses, as it will degrade your photos. Arguably, any filter may degrade your photos, but that is debatable. Anyway, if you are talking basic UV filters to protect your lenses, I think the most recommended filter is the B&W UV MRC #010. At least here in the States, a 49mm one of those should run you about $35 US. I usually buy mine from Amazon marketplace.