Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Sigma 10-20 mm F/4-5.6 EX DC HSM NOT HSM for Pentax?

Did anyone notice about Sigma 10-20mm that the Pentax mount is NOT HSM.?

Sigma Lens 10-20mm F/4-5.6 EX DC HSM (filter diameter 77mm)

What does this mean and how will it affect us? Is there any other option?

I am in Dubai and they have ONE lens of Sigma for Pentax mount and ZERO from Pentax!!! How is the supply in the US? Especially Las Vegas.

Best Regards

05-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Up until the K10D, EVERY lens for the Pentax mount uses the in-body motor to drive a shaft in the lens for focusing. So all the Sigma HSM lenses are NOT HSM for the Pentax mount. Other than the lack of a motor in the lens, the optics should be the same. I just bought the 10-20mm this month, nice lens!
05-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So you mean it will work fine on my K10d? If you don't mind,could you explain this whole HSM business?

Thanks and Regards
05-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

HyperSonicMotor - Bascially a small motor INSIDE the lens moves the elements to control focus. It receives commands from the camera body (how far to move and in which direction).

All Canon lenses use an in-lens motor (although there are various types, USM is what Canon calls their "quiet and fast" motor whereas Sigma uses HSM). Non-USM/HSM motors are not quite as fast/quiet

Nikon can either use an in-body motor (like Pentax) or one in the lens (again, HSM for Sigma, or SWM for Nikon lenses).

Pentax (up until the K10D) ONLY uses a motor inside the BODY. The K10D has support for in-lens motors, but there are not any lenses available like this (yet). Pentax will soon release a 16-50mm and 50-135mm (both f/2.8) which will feature a built-in motor for use with the K10D (they will also support screw-drive autofocus for backwards compatability with older bodies)

And yes, the 10-20mm will work fine on your K10D (as would any other K-mount autofocus lens)

05-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well thank you egordon99!!

Now if someone could please tell me.....are Pentax and third party lenses easily available in New York and Las Vegas? My husband will be there this June and he'll be going to buy these...

1. Pentax 50mm F/1.4

2. Sigma 70-300 APO DG MACRO

3. Sigma 10-20 mm/ Pentax 12-24mm

Would you know of any site that lists US availability and prices? Is Ritz a shop for these? Are you supposed to take it a the price quoted or you can bargain? I know this may be really silly.....but consider this......I am in a place where people look at me strangely when I say I have a Pentax..........no lenses available..........please help!!!!

Thanks!!!
05-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Hehe chili, people look at ME wierd when i say i have a pentax. That being in Bergen, Norway where i've actually seen One or three pentaxes lately!
I guess if you buy those three lenses from the same place you can bargain a bit, unsure how much. I'm allmost certain that you will love those lenses
I'm sorry i can't help you with alot of info here, seeing im from Norway, and i've never been to the US.
05-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All those lens should be available in the U.S. In New York I would try BHPhotoVideo.Digital Cameras, Camcorders, TV's, Home Theater, DVD Players, Apple iPods I have heard that you might want to call ahead as they often have some Pentax stock in a wharehouse not in the showroom. I have ordered on the internet many times from them and they are honest and reputable.

Ritz might have to order those lens. My local Ritz and Penn Camera have very limited Pentax gear in stock; they can order it though.

I would definately call ahead to make sure any store has those lens in stock. Most stores give most of their display space to Nikon and Canon.

Maybe someone else will have more advice too. Best wishes.
05-24-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

B&H Photo in Manhattan should have some Pentax stock, as well as Adorama.
Don't bother with Ritz, especially if you're in NYC.
Don't think you'll be able to haggle much though.

05-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chilichoco Quote
Well thank you egordon99!!

Now if someone could please tell me.....are Pentax and third party lenses easily available in New York and Las Vegas? My husband will be there this June and he'll be going to buy these...

1. Pentax 50mm F/1.4

2. Sigma 70-300 APO DG MACRO

3. Sigma 10-20 mm/ Pentax 12-24mm

Would you know of any site that lists US availability and prices? Is Ritz a shop for these? Are you supposed to take it a the price quoted or you can bargain? I know this may be really silly.....but consider this......I am in a place where people look at me strangely when I say I have a Pentax..........no lenses available..........please help!!!!

Thanks!!!

As others have said B&H Camera and Video (link already provided) and Adorama link here:
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
carry Pentax lenses. I'd contact both places tho. As mentioned B&H rarely carries much stock in their store, most of their stuff is in a warehouse in Brooklyn. Adorama is more likely to carry Pentax in their store, but their stock disappears fast, so you might want to check ahead. BTW both stores ship overseas, so if they don't have what you want while your husband is in NYC they may at a later date.

NaCl(Hope that helps)H2O
05-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you SO MUCH!! .....the links are a HUGE help.......at least I know where to send him......lol........

I wonder if anyone has pitted Sigma 70-300 mm against Sigma 28-300 mm and the 28-300 mm of Tamron? Which is better in terms of performance?

Has anyone had any experience with Pentax SMCP FA J 75-300MM F/4.5-5.8 AL autofocus lense(silver/black)? How does it fare against the Sigma and the Tamron?

Between Sigma 10-20mm and Pentax 12-24mm....which one would you go for?

Suggest me a fantastic portrait lens.

Many many thanks!!!
05-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chilichoco Quote
Thank you SO MUCH!! .....the links are a HUGE help.......at least I know where to send him......lol........

Suggest me a fantastic portrait lens.

Many many thanks!!!
I would suggest three ( I own all three and love them)(prices are estimates): Tamron 28-75 XR DI 2.8 (400$)-this is a good all around lens; Pentax FA 77 1.8 limited($700) and the Pentax D FA 100 2.8 macro (500$). Here is a link to a discussion I started on this topic several months ago...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/1596-fa-77-lim...2-8-macro.html As you will realize...I couldn't choose and bought both.