Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 400/5.6 AF - any ifno?

Hi everybody,
I've been struggling to keep my promise of LBA moratorium. I still have 3.5 months to go, but now I came across something that makes me think. Used Sigma 400/5.6 AF. It looks like there have been 3 versions of AF 400/5.6 from Sigma. The first non APO, second APO and third APO macro. The last one is well discussed and documented on the web but any information about the first two is really spare. Even in our lens review section there is only 1 review.
So,
does anybody know anything about these two? Or does anybody have any experience with them?
Any info/links/pics will help.

Thank you,
Peter

09-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the one you are looking at is the 400mm f5.6 APO Macro in very good condition, buy it. The others are very inferior.
09-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The non-APO: Don't even think about it.

The APO version, I owned it, and it was well built, sharp, and handled nicely. Sadly, it was a PF monster and I sold it.

Everyone says the APO Macro is the version to buy.

At the moment I have a Tokina A-TX 400mm f/5.6. No PF, but it's not as sharp wide open as the Sigma was. I guess you pick your poison, right?
09-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hi everybody,
I've been struggling to keep my promise of LBA moratorium. I still have 3.5 months to go, but now I came across something that makes me think. Used Sigma 400/5.6 AF. It looks like there have been 3 versions of AF 400/5.6 from Sigma. The first non APO, second APO and third APO macro. The last one is well discussed and documented on the web but any information about the first two is really spare. Even in our lens review section there is only 1 review.
So,
does anybody know anything about these two? Or does anybody have any experience with them?
Any info/links/pics will help.

Thank you,
Peter
Don't make silly promises Peter, especially with the APO macro, it's a superb lens but weight puts it in a different catagory for me. Despite the bashing, V1 is very good IQ wise, PF is less of an issue with good exposure-to the right- and equal if not better than zooms with the same speed.My research pointed more towards V2 as a problem with lens seperation & fogging. Get a good copy and i'm sure you will be more than happy. Does anyone know if the barrel colours of V1(grey&black) and V2(white&black) represent different build dates? ie possible fixes to QC issues.

09-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the replies,
The one I saw is V1 and it goes for £149. But I think I'll think about it...
Anyway, I have still 3.5 months to go. Not bad, I haven't bought any lens since June. Considering, before I had bought 15 lenses, 2 flashes and 4 camera bodies (I sold some) in 2.5yrs

BR
Peter
09-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
thanks for the replies,
The one I saw is V1 and it goes for £149. But I think I'll think about it...
Anyway, I have still 3.5 months to go. Not bad, I haven't bought any lens since June. Considering, before I had bought 15 lenses, 2 flashes and 4 camera bodies (I sold some) in 2.5yrs

BR
Peter
Somebody stop me! I know where you've been cause i'm still living it. 14 lenses,3 flashes, 3 bodies, tripod, 2 monopods,heads, bags etc. All in the last 13 months, i have managed to slow down but i can't seem to stop, I might need help!.........finding the next lens that is. Stay strong Peter.
09-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have what would be the second version I guess. It is apo 5.6 manual focus. I have been very pleased with my copy. No purple fringing when taking aircraft photos I got mine for an incredible bargain on craigslist.

Here is a link to a couple of previous discussions. See my post for a link to some photo's I have taken.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/56312-sigma-ap...ual-focus.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/52421-info-400...hoto-lens.html

Have a good one

09-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DreTAX Quote
Somebody stop me! I know where you've been cause i'm still living it. 14 lenses,3 flashes, 3 bodies, tripod, 2 monopods,heads, bags etc. All in the last 13 months, i have managed to slow down but i can't seem to stop, I might need help!.........finding the next lens that is. Stay strong Peter.
Good to know I'm not alone.
I've been struggling to keep my moratorium since June. But so far succesfuly. But there is always something tempting out there. Yesterday I've seen used DA21 in LN condition. Veeeeeeeeeery tempting indeed
09-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Had the first version... forgettable
Tried a friend's second version... a little better but still soft at f/5.6

Make sure you check the optics 100% as element separation does show up with this Sigma lens.
For a legacy lens like this, it will be throwing money away as there are no replacement elements available and there is no solution to the element separation.