70mm f2.4 920.93%
77mm f1.8 3479.07%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

70mm or 77mm

Hello Readers,

I shoot a lot of portraits and am looking for a longer focal length to shoot with. I understand that the 70mm is f2.4 and the 77mm is f1.8, but, according to Photozone.de's reviews, the 70mm appears to be stronger optically (less CA's, etc). The 77mm, however, gets rave reviews by its users. It's a tough decision and I was hoping some of you could shed some light on the situation. Both lenses would be great for portrait use, but which one do you recommend?

Thanks.

09-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by branphlake Quote
Hello Readers,

I shoot a lot of portraits and am looking for a longer focal length to shoot with. I understand that the 70mm is f2.4 and the 77mm is f1.8, but, according to Photozone.dede's reviews, the 70mm appears to be stronger optically (less CA's, etc). The 77mm, however, gets rave reviews by its users. It's a tough decision and I was hoping some of you could shed some light on the situation. Both lenses would be great for portrait use, but which one do you recommend?

Thanks.
the 77mm is magic its as simple as that. the FA ltds are at the TOP class of lenses of any brand.

and for me one of the main reasons to choose Pentax if not THE main reason.

the DA ltd are fantastic and maybe on paper one review said some something . but the FA Ltds are classics.
09-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes, it is a tough decision, IF you let this become a tough decision.

I could almost say that most of us went thru the same excercise and today I would avoid any kind of extra stress in my life and simply order the lens.

In this specific situation, you KNOW you'll be getting a great quality lens either way, i dont see much help in trying to figure out which is better. They are very great lenses... you cant go wrong!!

I'd simply get the 77mm because it has a better market for it, test it, and if you dont like it, sell it (or return it) and try the other. Very likely, you will stick with it after trying it. Or if you are on a budget, then get the 70mm and forget about it...

In time, i have the 77mm, it is my best lens and I just praise the days that I can shoot with it, because it is a damn good experience!

Obviously i wish it had the quick-release feature found in the DA's and the DA price was well... but other than that... it is perfect!
09-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Really depends on what you can afford, right?

If money is no issue, I gather most people will say go for the 77mm; however, as other people have mentioned in other posts, unless you are shooting portraits with razor thin DOF at F1.8, then you have to weigh the merits of stuff like quick-shift, size, and difference in focal length to make that decision.

I love my DA 70mm, for what it's worth.

09-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can really only say how good the 77 is because I have it.
I've given the 70 a good go on my cam, and I love its results too, although there is just that much more boldness, colour and 3D effect I get with the 77 that I'd have to tip my scales towards the 77 on this one.
Neither will disappoint, though.
09-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #6

I bought my DA70 first and later went on to FA77. Both feel quite different. I love my 77 more though.
09-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

77 all the way.

If you get the 70 you'll always want/pine over the 77. If you get the 77 you'll never think twice about the 70 ever again.

c[_]
09-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Damn you all!

I broke down and bought the 77 today.

thanks for all the advice.

B.