Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

want a new lens

right, this has probably been discussed 1000 times but ive searched the forum and nothing.

id like both a telephoto and macro lens, i think ive decided on my telephot being the da 50-200 as i already have the 18-55mm and purchasing a seperate macro . like the 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro?

or would i benefit more by getting the 70-300 f4-5.6 Di LD Macro and have the macro built in?

cheers james

05-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

James,

This thread discusses the 70-300 macro issue. Short answer: the 70-300mm is not a true macro. The minimum focus distance is rather long.

I have the 70-300 Tamron. It's a good lens, if a bit bulky. I have shots posted on my Flickr account. The lens gets really long in macro mode. I think you should evaluate how much the 200 - 300mm range is worth to you in terms of weight and bulk.

I'll probably sell mine and get a long, manual focus prime to cover the range over 200mm. For my shooting, the extra reach on the zoom isn't worth the penalty. I don't do any macro shooting (yet) so I can't speak to that issue.

Cheers,
Daryl
05-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You might want to check out the Pentax 100mm macro. They go for about mid $200's on ebay.
05-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Tamron superzooms can focus at around 18", which isn't true macro, but it does a good impersonation. Here's a shot I took with the 18-250 at ~2-3ft.

I wasn't really trying for a macro shot here, so I'm sure I could've gotten closer. You can focus to 18" through out the zoom range with these lenses, but as you zoom out the maximum aperture is reduced to f/6.3, I think, so you won't get good low light macro shots easily.

05-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i think thats made my mind up, ill get 2 seperate lenses.

any good reccomendations on macros that arnt stupoid money e.g no more than 250 pounds
05-24-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by james Quote
right, this has probably been discussed 1000 times but ive searched the forum and nothing.

id like both a telephoto and macro lens, i think ive decided on my telephot being the da 50-200 as i already have the 18-55mm and purchasing a seperate macro . like the 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro?

or would i benefit more by getting the 70-300 f4-5.6 Di LD Macro and have the macro built in?

cheers james
As mentioned, the 70-300 is not a true macro lens. I use a 100mm macro lens and found it a perfect focal length on my 35mm camera's, but a bit long on my K10D with the 1.5X factor. Pentax have announced a 35mm limited macro and I am speculating that they will also offer a 70mm limited macro in due course. I am holding out for that. You may also want to consider a set of extention tubes, I used those with my 28-70 f/2.8 for quite a long time befor getting a true macro lens ...still usefull with some of my longer lenses when I need to get closer than the lens would otherwise allow.

Mike.
05-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
extension tubes? sounds interesting, explain please?are they expensive?