Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What would u Do?

A disc in my back has been getting worst the past couple of months and the Dr. says all they can do is fuse the bones together and I'm not into that cutting me stuff and taking a chance on messing me up for good.

I was wondering if it would be a smart thing to do by selling my to long lenses and getting a DA* 60-250 to replace them so all I have to carry is the DA* and my Tammy 17-50mm 2.8.
I could always leave the Pentax on the camera and put the Tammy in my pocket. Then I wouldn't have to carry my backpack when I go treking. The 60-250 is suppose to be as good as the 50-135 and I can always throw my 1.4 af tammy TC in my other pocket to replace my MonsterMa.
I have no one to ask questions about photography except you guys.
I know sorry life.

Thanks

09-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about your ailments.
If you would be happy with the limit of 350mm of reach, then the 60-250 would be an optimal choice for you. The weight difference is one thing, but how you shoot with it (to minimise further back strain) would be another. Also consider if focusing is reliable with the Tammy TC at all FLs (I was disappointed that the Sigma 70-200 HSM wouldn't lock focus at the longer FLs with the Tammy TC).

Hope your back holds up for you for the long term.
Take care.
09-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

sorry to hear about your back.

As far as lenses go, if you'll be happy to have 2 lenses only than go for it. Why not. 60-250 seems to be a keeper of a lens. If it is the range that suits you, it may be a good option.
What lenses should it replace in your bag?
09-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'll have to replace my Sigma 150-500 5/6.3 HSM & DA* 50-135, and just keep the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and buy a DA*60-250.
The wife carries the K100d and the Pentax 18-55 and the 50-200 in her bag and thats all it will hold.
We just take pictures to keep not to show, and we are still going to drive around the country some day soon.

09-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you serious?

If so, my apologies for questioning you and best of luck with your back. I used a thread like this once to read the results to my wife in hopes of getting a full set of small light LTD's and it almost worked, until some jerk came along and questioned my intentions. I hope no one does that here.
Regards!
09-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I'll have to replace my Sigma 150-500 5/6.3 HSM & DA* 50-135, and just keep the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and buy a DA*60-250.
The wife carries the K100d and the Pentax 18-55 and the 50-200 in her bag and thats all it will hold.
We just take pictures to keep not to show, and we are still going to drive around the country some day soon.
I also am sorry to hear about your condition. This will only help in a general way, but . . .

Two years ago I discovered I have an advanced case of glaucoma and have lost most of the visual field for sharp vision in my right eye. I had a surgical device implanted to reduce intraocular pressure to a safe level, arresting further damage to my optic nerve, but the existing damage is irreversible. My peripheral vision for all activities is basically gone and I can't use my right eye in the viewfinder.

I am an optimist, though, and was counseled to accept the things I cannot change and develop coping mechanisms to extend the utility of what vision I have left.

As far as photography goes, I learned to shoot with my left eye and I found +2 diopter correction lenses to fit both the K and M viewfinder frames so I can shoot without my (new) glasses. I can't really shoot fast any more. I have to scan around the edges of the VF to read the LED's - so now I take pictures of more stationary subjects, because that is what I can do. I found a K2DMD with a split-image focusing screen and I use that and my MESuper more than my KX and SP-F now. I haven't changed the screen in my K10D because I can focus manually well enough with the diopter and focus confirmation.

In your case, I'd suggest something like planning what you are most likely to shoot on your outings, taking a short prime or two and only the one longer lens best-suited to those images. Experiment with smaller bags using different strap styles and chest straps - whatever you can think of. Continue to enjoy all your lenses at the best time for their uses. That way you can keep the long lenses you have.

If you STILL can't make it work, then your coping mechanism is the best zooms you can afford.

In fact, that's good advice for any shooter. I can't tell you how many times I've lugged five or more lenses around all day in an F2 bag and used 2.
09-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
snip....

In fact, that's good advice for any shooter. I can't tell you how many times I've lugged five or more lenses around all day in an F2 bag and used 2.
This so true...
I've learnt from my shoulder pain too
09-20-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
now if you won't miss the 500 then 60-250 should do it, but even with 1.5TC it's only 375mm. Have you considered Sigma 100-300/4? or is that too big?