Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #1

Lens loose inside 50mm f1.4

I noticed that my lens is completely loose inside of the casing. If you push it in flat and put it on the camera, it focused and shoots fine, but any movement of the camera will cause it to tilt and fall back towards the body. Any idea what could have happened or if it is easily fixable?

09-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you drop this lens at all? When did you buy it? Is it still covered under warranty?
09-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, I most likely did drop it but I don't remember dropping anytime recently before it stopped.

It was purchased a few years ago from Adorama I believe, it is not under warranty.
09-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #4

If it's like my K-series 50/1.4, I think that piece just screws on, but I'm not quite certain. It should be easy enough to fix (if it's not truly broken). I don't even think you need any special tools to do it.

If you break it, you buy it, but if it were me I'd just take it apart and try to fix it. Besides, you'll learn something about your lens and have a better idea of what it will take to get it repair professionally if you can't do it yourself.

Go down to Costco or some other store and buy yourself a box of Nitrile exam gloves (plain, without powder!), or, if you are really paranoid, get some anti-static ones from eBay.

Then take a screwdriver and disassemble the back. If you find you have to unscrew a lens, or if that lens needs to be screwed in with a special tool (i.e., two notches on either side of a metal ring), then you need a lens wrench which can be picked up off of eBay for $16-$20...

I've yet to take apart a lens with electronics, but I don't imagine it's that much harder.

09-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
I managed to fix this myself. Turns out that part screws inside towards the front of the lens and had managed to unscrew itself over time somehow, so I just had to take off the back and screw it back in. Only lost one screw for the back in the process. Appears to focus just fine now!