Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pmountford Quote
Hi All

This is my first post. The information on this forum has been excellent. I'm going on a trip to the west coast of Canada, mostly to the urban areas, and wanted to know if anyone had any good ideas for a single lens I could take with me. I don't want to carry much, so this would be the only lens I take with me. I usually end up carrying my kids' backpacks, iPods, snacks, stuffed animals and so on. I can't really handle a bunch of extra photo gear. I've got a K-7, which so far has been pretty fine camera.

Cheers,
Get the 17-70. Its a fine lens. IQ on the 18-250 is not good enough for K7 IMO.

09-23-2009, 04:47 AM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd recommend DA40ltd.
It's small, decently fast at f2.8, great IQ, and with little bit of creativity let's you shoot just about anything from portraits to landscapes and cityscapes.

BR
Peter
09-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #18
Forum Member

As the OP pointed out, and followed up by Mark, if I had to choose ONE lens it would be a Pentax DA 18-250, again.

I owned the DA 18-250 for a long time and was my only lens, on a k100d super then my k20d. For the range and package deal I got on it originally it more than served it's purpose - sold my k100d and bought a k20d, with it still being my only lens, only to find my photography hitting the next level and wanting someting more after a year or two of photo's and starting to get the photo bug again after a long break.

Unfortunately once you hit it's limitations you want more from your lenses - then you can make a decision on what sort of style and what sort of situation/style your after and gain those *better* set(s) of glass to achieve that. Unfortunately I sold mine to fund my newer lens purchasers, miss it from time to time, but haven't looked back on my upgrades. It helped me decide what I wanted from my photography, and in the end assisted in what I have now.

My advise would be to go with the range of the Da 18-250 as one only lens, upgrade to specifics if required from there.
09-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #19
Pentaxian

You didn't mention which lenses you already own so I will assume you have at least the 18-55 kit lens which for an urban trip will probably do a pretty good job. The 18-250's are an obvious choice as others have mentioned but aren't exactly lightweights to carry around. In my own experiences I would rarely use a long lens visiting a city but a wide angle would get a lot of use. The 12-24 would make an excellent walk around lens but won't be an inexpensive purchase and is a little heavy. Also not specified is whether this lens is going to be a single lens solution for all the time or only for this trip. For a single vacation/trip a rental lens might be an option. When my kids were small, my vacation camera setup was a Spotmatic with a 55mm and it met my needs nicely. A similar setup would be the DA 40 which is a very small, lightweight lens.

09-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pmountford Quote
Hi All

This is my first post. The information on this forum has been excellent. I'm going on a trip to the west coast of Canada, mostly to the urban areas, and wanted to know if anyone had any good ideas for a single lens I could take with me. I don't want to carry much, so this would be the only lens I take with me.
I would also recommend the 18-250. It's as good as any superzoom, a bit punchier & sharper than my 18-55. Just make sure you stop down on both ends of the zoom range. The only thing I hate about mine is the zoom lock.

A single prime is way too limiting and a bag of primes isn't well suited to a family outing like this. A shorter zoom won't let me do what I like to do; take a wide photo and then zoom in for details. I would also recommend a fast normal lens to accompany the 18-250, because it's too slow for shooting indoors with ambient lighting.
09-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

If I only had to chose one lens to have. I would go with the DA 35 Macro Ltd.
But thats because I hate zooms and primes are pure love
09-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jenko Quote
As the OP pointed out, and followed up by Mark, if I had to choose ONE lens it would be a Pentax DA 18-250, again.

I owned the DA 18-250 for a long time and was my only lens, on a k100d super then my k20d. For the range and package deal I got on it originally it more than served it's purpose - sold my k100d and bought a k20d, with it still being my only lens, only to find my photography hitting the next level and wanting someting more after a year or two of photo's and starting to get the photo bug again after a long break.

Unfortunately once you hit it's limitations you want more from your lenses - then you can make a decision on what sort of style and what sort of situation/style your after and gain those *better* set(s) of glass to achieve that. Unfortunately I sold mine to fund my newer lens purchasers, miss it from time to time, but haven't looked back on my upgrades. It helped me decide what I wanted from my photography, and in the end assisted in what I have now.

My advise would be to go with the range of the Da 18-250 as one only lens, upgrade to specifics if required from there.
I have to agree with this. The 18-250 is probably what the OP needs. It has its limitations of course but it's useless to take a prime or a more limited zoom and miss a shot you'd take otherwise.

Stopped down to f/8 at short end and f/11 at long end it becomes VERY sharp. Wide open, combined with good high-iso performance from the K7/K20D is a decent indoor solution.
09-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find it difficult to figure out what the OP needs when we don't know what lenses he has or what he'll be taking pictures of. Heck, we don't even know if something as long as 250mm is even necessary. The kit lens may just suffice.

Too often versatile gets equated with zoom. But there is more to versatile than the ability to zoom. Something like the DA 40mm is tiny, extremely light, unobtrusive, easy to carry, and has good control over DOF. It has versatility in a different way. It's great for taking people pictures, but as axl pointed out, it can be used in different ways. If your primary focus is taking pictures of the kids and size and weight are a concern, this lens could work out great.

If you'd rather have a shorter zoom then you could go for the Sigma 17-70mm, or perhaps a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.

09-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
I find it difficult to figure out what the OP needs when we don't know what lenses he has or what he'll be taking pictures of.
I'm wondering if he's been back to read the thread, or ever will be.
09-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
=Marc Sabatella;750935 But really, I refuse to make that choice and limit myself to one lens. If I wanted to do that, I'd just get a P&S and be done with it. Any bag that hold the 16-50 or 28-75 or 18-250 can just as easily hold a handful of small primes, or a small zoom and prime (50-200 plus 28, for instance).
Well, I plan to test this one lens concept shortly. I have a trip to Vancouver planned to take in an off Broadway production of Chorus Line ...the ladies will want to wander around Granville Island and I have limited luggage capacity. So my plan is to throw my K-7 and 35mm macro limited in my overnight bag and use that. I have never tried this before ...will be interesting.
09-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Well, I plan to test this one lens concept shortly. I have a trip to Vancouver planned to take in an off Broadway production of Chorus Line ...the ladies will want to wander around Granville Island and I have limited luggage capacity. So my plan is to throw my K-7 and 35mm macro limited in my overnight bag and use that. I have never tried this before ...will be interesting.
Back when I was using my Spotmatic, I was perfectly content running around with just my 50mm f1.4 and nothing else*. I think I'm a bit too spoiled now. Plus, the size of my primes are just too convenient.

[edit] Including the 50 I had 4 lenses at that time.

Last edited by wasser; 09-23-2009 at 04:34 PM.
09-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #27

Original Poster
Whoa! Thanks for all the information. I did read all the posts, so no worries about me posting and dashing. I bought the 17-70 at the same time as the K7. I'm very happy with it, but I think I might look into one of the primes, possibly the 40mm 2.8. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
09-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

"If I only had to chose one lens to have. I would go with the DA 35 Macro Ltd.
But that's because ... primes are pure love " --melander

This.
09-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #29
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Once you know what you photograph most of, you'll be able to decide on the focal length you should invest in for your next purchase.

The 40 ltd is an excellent lens but is not all that useful for capturing wildlife.
09-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I am interested to know which superzoom is better? The sigma 18-250 with OS or the Tamrom/pentax 18-250? Quite interested to get one for wifey