Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I summarize my opinions in Pentax 1-Lens choice in my blog with an added section for manual focus primes

5. Your manual focus primes

And last but not the least is in not forgetting your manual focus primes. They can easily rival the best and the latest. With careful planning to mix new primes with old primes, new zooms with old primes, you can achieve dynamic setup that the 1-lens do it all options may have compromised image quality for convenience. With careful mix of lens, you carry less weight with single prime lens or short zoom for a specific function and lighting of the day, and gain of speed and characters with the old charming lens are equally important if not more. Use your creativity to make lens change to be functional segment in the day. For instance, morning indoor breakfast and late night dinner with a fast prime that adds wonder to your charming vacation.

* Spiratone 20mm f/2.8 in K-mount -- I should have kept it
* Cosina 24mm f/2.8 in K-mount -- my nighttime go-to lens in travel
* Cosina 55mm f/1.2 in Kmount -- your fast lens at f/1.2 on a budget
* SuperTakumar 35mm f/3.5 in M42 -- very small prime like a pancake
* Pentax SuperTakumar 105mm f/2.8 in M42 -- likely the smallest 105mm that I have seen
* Jupiter 9 85mm f/2.0 -- the cult Russian classic
* Kiron 70-150mm f/3.8 with 2x matched multiplier -- very sharp zoom on a budget
* Pentax M 40mm f/2.8 -- the MF pancake that can rivals the latest with DA 40mm f/2.8
* Pentax A 50mm f/1.7 -- actually all the Pentax 50mm with SMC coatings, they all tend to be small, sweet and with character for a different kind of metal charm.
* Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f/2 in M42 -- the zeiss glass is amazingly cute and surprisingly wonderful to use.

Thanks,
Hin

09-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great posts, hinman.

My wallet is not happy, as normally I would take more time deciding and the little one would not need to worry.
09-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I wouldn't go nearly that far. Sure, in some situations, the DSLR + superzoom lens will noticeably outperform a P&S - especially anything requiring high ISO. But really, in good light, most of today's P&S cameras do incredibly well - even with pixel peeping, you might have trouble getting a panel of experts to reliably tell them apart.

Of course, no denying that in those high ISO and a few other situations, the DSLR will win more noticeably, but on the flip side, the P&S is a much smaller camera that the more casual shooter is much more likely take with him/her. So it will get shot the DSLR won't, simply because it is there. Overall, I'm not sure it *would* turn out to be a win for the DSLR.
I agree that a bridge camera will be used more by a casual user, but I'd assume the people here are not casual users. I know that I have the G9 and the K20D with 18-250, and for me it's no comparison. I'll take the K20D for vacation everytime. The 18-250 can be somewhat limiting. Using a bridge camera with the small sensor is even more limiting. For me, I don't like the compromise that a small-sensor camera entails for vacation travel.

The G9, LX3 and others are very nice cameras, but as soon as the conditions get a little challenging, the larger sensor in a dSLR (even with a superzoom attached) just wins out every time.

Oh, and I'd love to see some hands on reports about the Sigma 18-250. The in-lens OS would be a nice option to have. A stabilized view can be a very nice thing.

Last edited by rfortson; 09-30-2009 at 02:28 PM.
09-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I agree that a bridge camera will be used more by a casual user, but I'd assume the people here are not casual users. I know that I have the G9 and the K20D with 18-250, and for me it's no comparison. I'll take the K20D for vacation everytime. The 18-250 can be somewhat limiting. Using a bridge camera with the small sensor is even more limiting. For me, I don't like the compromise that a small-sensor camera entails for vacation travel.

The G9, LX3 and others are very nice cameras, but as soon as the conditions get a little challenging, the larger sensor in a dSLR (even with a superzoom attached) just wins out every time.

Oh, and I'd love to see some hands on reports about the Sigma 18-250. The in-lens OS would be a nice option to have. A stabilized view can be a very nice thing.
I love your work with your 18-250mm. I forget if you have the Pentax or the Tamron one, can you remind me if indeed those two are the same lens.

With the introduction of video in the latest dSLR offerings such as the Pentax K-7, I see the trend of using K-7 in the place of a bridge camera. And for those who like Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Pentax FA 35mm f/2.0 and Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 likely the non-hsm one, you can see my blogger and flickr very admired Pentaxian friend using his K-7 testing the three lens mentioned.

Blog post on Pentax K-7 videos from Stanchiou with Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Pentax FA 35mm f/2.0 and Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

A new trend is coming as we speak with 1 lens on camera for both video and kodak moments in traveling.

Thanks,
Hin

10-17-2009, 04:12 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Not sure about the Sigma coming out as the winner in these tests. The Tamron seems to have the edge in terms of (centre) sharpness.
10-17-2009, 05:41 AM   #51
Inactive Account

The often overlooked dimension to lens versatility is aperture. Here's a rambling story illustrating my observations on lens selection; maybe it'll help round out the discussion.

Many times my photo-desires are limited by light available, not distance to the subject. I spend a lot of time indoors and in twilight situations. In such cases a F:1.7 50mm lens is my most versatile in the sense that it will get a photo when the zooms won't. I find it fast enough and doubt I'd like an f/1.4 or f/1.2 any more because of DOF limitations.

This is a real problem for me as I tend to tightly crop or fill the frame with the subject, so prefer long lenses whenever practical. I'm also mobility limited so can't zoom with my feet effectively; even so, lens speed often trumps lens reach for me.

My compromise walk-about lens now is a 28-75mm 1:2.8 Tamron - but I'd sure like one more stop speed! I'd probably really like a fast 85 from a versatility standpoint. In homes, Bistros, etc I often use a 50:1.7 with a Nikon on-front 1.5X TC which yields a high quality 75:2.0.

Marc S has wise things to say about lens versatility if your venue includes interior shots of people, or by implication, frame filling subjects.

Dave in Iowa
10-17-2009, 06:32 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I get the follow using the info screen on the K10D and the Tamron 18-250mm.
18-21mm f3.5
I can't seem to hit 22mm
23-34mm f4
I can't seem to hit 35-37mm
38 -64mm f4.5
I can't seem to hit 65-68mm
69-154mm f5.6
I can't seem to hit 155-168mm
169-199mm f6.2
I can't seem to hit 200-218mm
219-250mm f6.3

A lens that is 3.5-4.5 from 18-65mm doesn't seem too bad. That only 1/2 a stop slower than the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 and 1/2 a stop faster and slower than the Pentax 17-70mm f4. OK 1mm on the short end and 5mm less on the long for those apertures, but hey, there are 189mm more to play with on the 18-250mm that ought to count for something.

As for putting tires on a Porsche comment, I would see it more like putting all seasons tires on your car, whatever your car is. They might not be the best on dry pavement, might not be the best on wet or snow, but when you have all three conditions in the same trip, you're probably better off with the compromise of all season tires.

Thank you
Russell