Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 03:02 AM   #1

one lens solution

Hi All

This is my first post. The information on this forum has been excellent. I'm going on a trip to the west coast of Canada, mostly to the urban areas, and wanted to know if anyone had any good ideas for a single lens I could take with me. I don't want to carry much, so this would be the only lens I take with me. I usually end up carrying my kids' backpacks, iPods, snacks, stuffed animals and so on. I can't really handle a bunch of extra photo gear. I've got a K-7, which so far has been pretty fine camera.

Cheers,

09-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Banned

Amazon.com: Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
09-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My preference would lie with one of the limited lenses, the 35mm macro or 21mm pancake. I have the 35mm macro limited and plan on using it this winter when X-country skiing ..I can keep the camera under my jacket without too large a bulge ...the 21 would be even better and I like that focal length but there are a couple of other lenses I covet first.
09-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 18-250mm based on your "one" lens. That said, the DA 21mm or DA 40mm plus the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 plus a 1.5x tc would be my choice

Tamron AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] macro (Canon) - Lens Test Report / Review

09-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for me, I would want something that might be able to go wider than 18mm.

I never found this wide enough for city shots.

the problem is, that you can be caught with something like a 10-20 and not have a normal to long option at all.

What about the tamron 10-24, and then take a single fixed focal length lens, in the 50-100mm range/

otherwise I would suggest something like a 16-50 and hope that it is wide enough
09-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pmountford Quote
Hi All

This is my first post. The information on this forum has been excellent. I'm going on a trip to the west coast of Canada, mostly to the urban areas, and wanted to know if anyone had any good ideas for a single lens I could take with me. I don't want to carry much, so this would be the only lens I take with me. I usually end up carrying my kids' backpacks, iPods, snacks, stuffed animals and so on. I can't really handle a bunch of extra photo gear. I've got a K-7, which so far has been pretty fine camera.

Cheers,

What lenses do you have?
09-22-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
D W
Veteran Member

The DA18-250 is a good all around lens, however due to the range you are not going have the same IQ as individual primes or 50-135. But to travel light I bring it along with a DA12-24. At 18 it is just not quite wide enough.

09-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For a family trip to an urban area during the day with me carrying kids, gear, whatever, I'd consider my decent point-and-shooter. If you're thinking of shooting scenic snapshots of the family and such you'll want to travel as light as possible.
09-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

DA 12-24 and DA 18-250
09-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Tamron 18-250mm based on your "one" lens. That said, the DA 21mm or DA 40mm plus the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 plus a 1.5x tc would be my choice

Tamron AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] macro (Canon) - Lens Test Report / Review
I have the Pentax bersion of this lens, which is just the Tamron lens (mentioned above) rebadged. Other than the external appearance of the lens, they are the same. The optics are identical. I started out with this as my "one lens" solution when I purchasd my K20D and I am very pleased with it. Even though I have since added a few other more specialized lenses, I still throw the Pentax DA 18-250 on when I am doing something similar to what you mentioned: going to the zoo with the kids, going hiking with the kids, going to the city with the kids. You get the idea. I don't have to change lenses and have the focal length for most any shot.

I must say also, for the focal length this covers, I have been *very* happy with it's performance. This lens commonly gives me sharp pictures with pleasing colors. (Subjective, I know.)

EDIT: Also, for its focal range, when retracted, it is nicely compact.
09-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'd frame the question in terms of what you willing to sacrifice in order to only have one lens. The obvious choice here is one of the 18-250's, which does a very good job in a lot of situations, especially well-lit situations. You give up a tiny bit of IQ over better lenses, and you give up the possibility of ultra-wide angle shots that somethng wider would provide, but neither of those would concern *me* as much as giving up the ability to get decent shutter speeds in low light. I might choose a 16-50/2.8, then, and sacrifice the telephoto end, which I don't tend to use all that much travelning. Or a 28-75/2.8 to get a little more at the long end, and hope I don't regret it at that the wide end.

But really, I refuse to make that choice and limit myself to one lens. If I wanted to do that, I'd just get a P&S and be done with it. Any bag that hold the 16-50 or 28-75 or 18-250 can just as easily hold a handful of small primes, or a small zoom and prime (50-200 plus 28, for instance).
09-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pmountford Quote
Hi All

Cheers,
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But really, I refuse to make that choice and limit myself to one lens. If I wanted to do that, I'd just get a P&S and be done with it. Any bag that hold the 16-50 or 28-75 or 18-250 can just as easily hold a handful of small primes, or a small zoom and prime (50-200 plus 28, for instance).
Marc, you know way more about all this then I do, so the OP should know that. It is just that I don't think the OP is asking to choose only one lens for all times, just for this one trip where he will already be a pack mule.

You also bring up a good point, the 18-250 is not a fast lens, and is not very suitable for situations where that is needed.

To the OP, what lens or lenses do you altready have?
09-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
Marc, you know way more about all this then I do, so the OP should know that. It is just that I don't think the OP is asking to choose only one lens for all times, just for this one trip where he will already be a pack mule.
True, and I did realize that, which is why I pointed out that the "one lens" chosen in the interest of saving space (& weight) may actually turn out to be bigger (and heavier) than the several lenses one might consider replacing it with instead. Or at least, about the same. That is, I wouldn't automatically assume that taking only one (large) lens will ease the load compared to taking two or three smaller ones. The one lens solution may still win out in that it reduces (eliminates) lens changes; that in itself might be considered more important than being able to shoot in low light or have telephoto or extreme wide angle available. Or maybe it won't - that's something the OP has to answer for himself. I'm just observing that the decision really should involve getting really specific about what you are willing to give up.
09-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Last summer I spent 3 weeks in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, mostly in urban areas.

I brought with me a bunch of lenses, among them a Tamron 18-250, a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, and a few primes.

About 90% of the photos I took were with the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8. The Tamron 18-250 many times was just too slow.
09-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
True, and I did realize that, which is why I pointed out that the "one lens" chosen in the interest of saving space (& weight) may actually turn out to be bigger (and heavier) than the several lenses one might consider replacing it with instead. Or at least, about the same. That is, I wouldn't automatically assume that taking only one (large) lens will ease the load compared to taking two or three smaller ones. The one lens solution may still win out in that it reduces (eliminates) lens changes; that in itself might be considered more important than being able to shoot in low light or have telephoto or extreme wide angle available. Or maybe it won't - that's something the OP has to answer for himself. I'm just observing that the decision really should involve getting really specific about what you are willing to give up.

You make good points. It seems I am/was looking at this from my own limited experience, which does not benifit the OP.