Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
But, as you can see on my gallery, I suck as a photographer. The thing is that I happened to be a physician and have more disposable income than I need(sorry). Under average given conditions, my pictures are clearly clearer shooting with FA 31. So I blow my money on lenses so that I can feel better about myself. Let's face it. I am never going to be good enough to be a professional photographer. It is a complete nonsense that I spend so much money on lenses. Too late though.... Oh, I gotta go order the 77.
care to donate some of your blessings? I'm just a poor boy !

09-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

But, as you can see on my gallery, I suck as a photographer. The thing is that I happened to be a physician and have more disposable income than I need(sorry). Under average given conditions, my pictures are clearly clearer shooting with FA 31. So I blow my money on lenses so that I can feel better about myself. Let's face it. I am never going to be good enough to be a professional photographer. It is a complete nonsense that I spend so much money on lenses. Too late though.... Oh, I gotta go order the 77.
There's nothing wrong with buying good quality products to use in the pursuit of a hobby. Everytime I visit our local zoo I see guys in safari vests using their big white zooms to photograph geese. If they can get away with that I think just about everyone on this forum is good to go.
09-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

operation FA 77... a cut above the rest

Neil

Last edited by nulla; 09-24-2009 at 12:21 PM.
09-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter

haha, great post...

09-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knyghtfall Quote
Actually, the FA 31 does have its limits, as I found out. The lens performs great in low light, but it can't handle bright lighting, which I found out to my chargin.

To cut a long story short, i recently re-acquired an FA 31 (made in japan version) after trading away my previous one. I had the occasion to test it under bright sunlight with the aperture maxed out, and the results were horrible. Am not only talking about the CA, but the picture is quite 'soft', looking as if the image suffers from lens diffraction. The outlines of the images are still clear, but the objects are wreathed in a soft glow.

Now the question I would like to ask is - is this a common problem, or do I have a bad copy? Sample pics below, all taken wide open.

Would appreciate any views on this, thanks!
To be fair any fast wide angle lens will have that problem. It should go away when stopped down. If you think that's bad, look up the Canon 50mm f/1.2L. That lens flares so bad the examples you posted are nothing comparison. Then again the 31mm isn't f/1.2. Then again the Canon is much more expensive.

Also, I think something is wrong with your lens. I have a copy of that lens and haven't noticed anything like that. The sets you posted looks like some element is greasy or foggy. Do take a look. Mine is VERY sharp all across the frame.

To the OP: I know what it feels like. Lucky me, I got my 31 and 77 together
09-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #21
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
care to donate some of your blessings? I'm just a poor boy !
I believe in organ donation, but lens donation.... That has not been proven to improve the outcome. So kidney(just one of them) I may consider