Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Nubi
Guest




I have a huge problem

I just got a FA 31 limited. The lens is just too good. I have never seen anything like it. I no longer want to shoot with any of my other lenses. This means that I will now have to buy 77 ltd too.

I have all the DA limiteds, and yes they are great lenses, but I think it takes a bit more skill to hit the sweet spot with these lenses. What the hell am I going to do with them?

09-23-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I just got a FA 31 limited. The lens is just too good. I have never seen anything like it. I no longer want to shoot with any of my other lenses. This means that I will now have to buy 77 ltd too.

I have all the DA limiteds, and yes they are great lenses, but I think it takes a bit more skill to hit the sweet spot with these lenses. What the hell am I going to do with them?
you could start by giving them to me.
dont worry, rest assured that I'm gonna hit the sweet spot of these lenses and make them happy.
09-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somerset, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 629
Lucky guy I keep looking at the 31 ltd but here its 1079

Could you post some samples how does it compare to the DA 35mm macro? I have the 35mm Macro and love it! Its a stunning lens.

How close can the FA 31 focus?

If I sold the 35mm macro I think I'd invest in the DA 15mm or maybe the DA 14mm for the f/2.8 aperture but I'm just starting a press and editorial course at uni so I'm going to be pretty broke for a while but I can still make my wish list.

I have the da* 50-135mm lens and its the best lens I own. I could do with something as good at the wide angle side any ideas?

I think you should sell the da limiteds maybe keep the 15mm if you have it? (you say you have them all) and buy the 77 ltd too

What camera are ya shooting on?

Cheers
09-23-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
Nubi
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
you could start by giving them to me.
dont worry, rest assured that I'm gonna hit the sweet spot of these lenses and make them happy.
HAHAHA, good try!!
I know you will hit the sweet spot just fine. Most people who come through here are such established photographer that you guys will do just fine. There are so any stunning images posted on this site.

But I do think that the DA limiteds do require a bit more attention. Just my opinion anyway.

09-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
Nubi
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Lucky guy I keep looking at the 31 ltd but here its 1079

Could you post some samples how does it compare to the DA 35mm macro? I have the 35mm Macro and love it! Its a stunning lens.

How close can the FA 31 focus?

If I sold the 35mm macro I think I'd invest in the DA 15mm or maybe the DA 14mm for the f/2.8 aperture but I'm just starting a press and editorial course at uni so I'm going to be pretty broke for a while but I can still make my wish list.

I have the da* 50-135mm lens and its the best lens I own. I could do with something as good at the wide angle side any ideas?

I think you should sell the da limiteds maybe keep the 15mm if you have it? (you say you have them all) and buy the 77 ltd too

What camera are ya shooting on?

Cheers
Wow 1100 quids. Holy crap. I paid $950 or something like that from BH photo.

I shoot with K-7. I am thinking that if I have 31 ltd in my hands I may not need as good a camera as K-7. I will slap it on k10 and k20 and see how good of results I will get.

I also do own DA 35 limited also, and yes I will try to post them here, but I am such a moron that I have not figured out how to slip a pic on the post But at the very most I will post them on my photo gallery so that you can look at them here. User Photo Gallery - Uploads Posted By Nubi


You can get fairly close with 31 ltd, perhaps about 30 cm or so(give or take few cm). Obviously nothing like 35 macro. I have to agree with you, of all the DA ltds I love 35 the most. DA 15 is an interesting lens. Yes 14 is a bit brighter, but it is a tad big. I also have DA*50-135, and yes that is an awesome lens. It is hard to compare that yo 31 ltd, because it is sort of like comparing apples and oranges, if you know what I mean. Boy I should have gone straight to FA ltds.
09-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
knyghtfall's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 348
Actually, the FA 31 does have its limits, as I found out. The lens performs great in low light, but it can't handle bright lighting, which I found out to my chargin.

To cut a long story short, i recently re-acquired an FA 31 (made in japan version) after trading away my previous one. I had the occasion to test it under bright sunlight with the aperture maxed out, and the results were horrible. Am not only talking about the CA, but the picture is quite 'soft', looking as if the image suffers from lens diffraction. The outlines of the images are still clear, but the objects are wreathed in a soft glow.

Now the question I would like to ask is - is this a common problem, or do I have a bad copy? Sample pics below, all taken wide open.

Would appreciate any views on this, thanks!

Picture 1: The focus is on the trees in the foreground, but since the lens is pretty much focused to infinity, the apartment blocks in the background appear relatively in focus as well - but disturbing soft.




Picture 2: The focus is on the vines on the fence, which are soft




Picture 3: focus on the trees in the foreground - the cropped version show very soft rendering.



09-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member
vizjerei's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,418
from the last 2 pics, clearly the focus is on the railway bridge instead of the tree...(and the 2nd set where looks like the focus is on the right hand side fence), so either your lens is front focus or ur camera is front focus..

Last edited by vizjerei; 09-23-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: changed "clear" to "clearly"
09-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
knyghtfall's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 348
Thanks vizjerei. you're right, I didn't see that part. Will tweak the front / back focus on the camera to compensate for that, and see if it solves my problems!

09-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,745
yeah the 31 limited will do that to your lens collection, though I recently compared the bokeh of the K 50mm f/1.2 against the FA31 with both lenses stopped down to f/2.8 and the 50 was slightly better..though you would have to actually have both images side by side with your nose pressed to them to actually be able to see a difference.
09-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member
nulla's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 1,560
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I just got a FA 31 limited. The lens is just too good. I have never seen anything like it. I no longer want to shoot with any of my other lenses. This means that I will now have to buy 77 ltd too.

I have all the DA limiteds, and yes they are great lenses, but I think it takes a bit more skill to hit the sweet spot with these lenses. What the hell am I going to do with them?
Its an aweful problem having the FA31.. wait and see how you cope with the pressure of handling and owning the FA 77


Neil
09-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,135
The 31 is rather prone to veiling flare when wide open. Your picture does a very good job of showing off that weakness.
09-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,713
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Most people who come through here are such established photographer that you guys will do just fine. There are so any stunning images posted on this site.
I started off on this board as pretty much a newbie, with a good eye. There are more beginners here than you can imagine, however some of them learn quickly.
09-24-2009, 01:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,745
veiling glare? I really hadn't noticed it..though I admit I haven't used the 31mm for contre-jour photography
09-24-2009, 05:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western Missouri
Posts: 429
Glow is very expensive and there are folks paying big money in the chase for it. And there's nothing wrong with using just one lens for a period of time. I find it helps me dust off the cobwebs when I return to using my other lenses and I find new appreciation for their field of view. Zooms are simply too easy to zoom.

Under average conditions and printing to reasonable sizes I wouldn't expect a big difference in image quality when shooting a given lens on multiple cameras.
09-24-2009, 06:02 AM   #15
Nubi
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
Glow is very expensive and there are folks paying big money in the chase for it. And there's nothing wrong with using just one lens for a period of time. I find it helps me dust off the cobwebs when I return to using my other lenses and I find new appreciation for their field of view. Zooms are simply too easy to zoom.

Under average conditions and printing to reasonable sizes I wouldn't expect a big difference in image quality when shooting a given lens on multiple cameras.


But, as you can see on my gallery, I suck as a photographer. The thing is that I happened to be a physician and have more disposable income than I need(sorry). Under average given conditions, my pictures are clearly clearer shooting with FA 31. So I blow my money on lenses so that I can feel better about myself. Let's face it. I am never going to be good enough to be a professional photographer. It is a complete nonsense that I spend so much money on lenses. Too late though.... Oh, I gotta go order the 77.

Last edited by Nubi; 09-24-2009 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Because I am bitter
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lenses, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 built-in flash huge problem benisona Pentax K-5 13 11-06-2010 01:11 AM
LBA: I have a huge huge gap in my line up!! Nubi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 29 02-14-2010 06:44 AM
Machinery A huge plane! Zav Post Your Photos! 14 11-14-2009 05:09 PM
Do me a huge favour...please losecontrol Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 01-14-2009 12:15 AM
HUGE thank you to everyone on this forum!! slip Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 03-30-2007 06:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top