Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Extension Tubes from EBay

I thought I'd look into some cheap manual extension tubes for my K10d and my manual lenses.

Has anyone purchased any from EBay and can recommend a seller or product? I found there are quite a few options out there, and some sound a bit too good to be true. I'll feel a little better if people know a seller or product that they've had a decent experience with.

09-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got a set from dealextreme.com. I think they were less than 10 bucks and work great. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat. Got them in < 2 weeks.
09-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I got a set from dealextreme.com. I think they were less than 10 bucks and work great. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat. Got them in < 2 weeks.
And do you have any problems with the lens or body attachments? I ask because out of the six review posted there, the lens and or body connection seems to be a concern.
09-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I have the same set VaughnA does, and I would also recommend them.

I thought twice about ordering because of the feedback, too, but I haven't had any significant problems with them.

The tube set comes off the camera body like any other K-mount lens -- push the button on the body, and twist. For removing the lens from the tube, there's a little chrome screw-knob near the end of the tube that you slide away from the lens. It looks like a knob, and it screws into the extension tube, but it's really a slider. That may be where some customers' confusion and trouble comes from. No amount of twisting will get you anywhere.

In any case, it's fine, but I only use it occasionally. I wouldn't call it luxurious by any stretch -- the metal is kinda screechy when you screw the various parts together, and it's thin metal, and the paint inside is glossier than you'd probably want in a perfect world, but for the price it ain't bad.

09-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #5

I bought a set from a company called Vemar. They are M42 mount and work well for me. They are metal construction.

I also have a set for the P/K mount. They work, but they just seem el cheapo.
09-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I have the same set VaughnA does, and I would also recommend them.

I thought twice about ordering because of the feedback, too, but I haven't had any significant problems with them.

The tube set comes off the camera body like any other K-mount lens -- push the button on the body, and twist. For removing the lens from the tube, there's a little chrome screw-knob near the end of the tube that you slide away from the lens. It looks like a knob, and it screws into the extension tube, but it's really a slider. That may be where some customers' confusion and trouble comes from. No amount of twisting will get you anywhere.

In any case, it's fine, but I only use it occasionally. I wouldn't call it luxurious by any stretch -- the metal is kinda screechy when you screw the various parts together, and it's thin metal, and the paint inside is glossier than you'd probably want in a perfect world, but for the price it ain't bad.
Thank you and VaughnA for the information. I'm not looking for perfect and at $10, what can one expect. I just want something to play with as I'm not too into macro photography. If I ever get there, I'll just upgrade to a true macro lens, but at least this is a cheap way to experiment.
09-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quicksand hit it on the head. No problems if you use the little release button for the lens. I put a bit of light grease on the screw threads then wiped it off until a very thin layer was left. They've worked great. I can't see spending any more for something so rarely used.