Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Does anyone know of any pros who repair this type of problem? Tokina apparently can't!

THK Products (Tokina) has had this lens for over a month, had told me it needed a chip upgrade (which didn't make total sense to me since I wasn't aware of such a thing being needed for any AF Pentax mount lenses). Almost a month goes by, I hadn't heard anything so called THK back and they said it would ship out last week and I'd get tracking. I heard nothing back again so I called today and was told that they had to ask THK Japan if there was a chip upgrade for this lens, and they just got the answer today that there is not, so they now say there is nothing they can do and are shipping it back to me!

*sigh*

I really wish THK hadn't wasted so much of my time, I could have just returned this lens to the seller to begin with if they'd just said there was nothing they could do... word of warning to anyone having THK do any lens repairs!

11-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Does anyone know of any pros who repair this type of problem? Tokina apparently can't!

THK Products (Tokina) has had this lens for over a month, had told me it needed a chip upgrade (which didn't make total sense to me since I wasn't aware of such a thing being needed for any AF Pentax mount lenses). Almost a month goes by, I hadn't heard anything so called THK back and they said it would ship out last week and I'd get tracking. I heard nothing back again so I called today and was told that they had to ask THK Japan if there was a chip upgrade for this lens, and they just got the answer today that there is not, so they now say there is nothing they can do and are shipping it back to me!

*sigh*

I really wish THK hadn't wasted so much of my time, I could have just returned this lens to the seller to begin with if they'd just said there was nothing they could do... word of warning to anyone having THK do any lens repairs!
Have you tried using the aluminum foil to improve the electrical contacts for AF? Sometime, the easiest thing to do is try out the suggestions first before going for the repair service. One of your picture did show a relatively low height of the contact points.

Regards,
Hin
11-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Have you tried using the aluminum foil to improve the electrical contacts for AF? Sometime, the easiest thing to do is try out the suggestions first before going for the repair service. One of your picture did show a relatively low height of the contact points.
I didn't try the aluminum foil because I thought (mistakenly) that if I could solve it with aluminum foil, that Tokina could detect and repair that type of problem, and I wanted to get it evaluated by Tokina as soon as possible (the seller only had a 7 day return policy). My bad trusting Tokina with it for over a month...

And if I can solve it with aluminum foil, that's not really an everyday workable solution for me - maybe for someone else though, I don't know.