Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Freebee lens fixed!

Hello,

Years ago, a distant relative gave me this lens that happened to be Pentax K-mount. I remember using it once in my K1000. Recently, I re-discovered it. It was dirty, missing some screws and had fungus inside. Didn't look very good at all. So I decided to try and "fix" it. I've done that with other cheap lenses before and been a freebee, I was not risking much.
Found some spare minutes today under a massive thunderstorm and took apart the lens. I was able to disassemble it completely including all 3 glass elements, without molesting the delicate aperture mechanism. The elements had fungus, dust, dirt etc. Cleaned it up, put it back together and tested it. The aperture was not working so took it apart again, this time more carefully took apart some of the aperture mechanism, noticing how it works and figuring how it should work. At the end, the aperture ring is a bit flimsy but it works! I tried it several times on an empty film body before attempting the DSLR. I finally did and here you can see some rather boring quick indoors test results. I guess that outdoors in sunny bright light, it should work fine. So now I have a 135mm (202 eq in DSLR) free lens. Not that it will be used a lot but cool nonetheless.

Here is how it looks now. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics while disassembled. I was too concentrated on it trying not to mess it up.

Quick tests:

100% crop, untouched

Not too bad for a freebee!
If anything, I got from this exercise more than a free cheap lens. I got knowledge and experience!
I'm building up courage to attemp the same to my Pentax A50 f2

Thanks,

09-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very cool Ismael ... have fun with it.
09-24-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about adding it to the lens database...

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
including all 3 glass elements,
Three elements is a little unusual and I have never heard of the brand. The multi-coating looks very neutral in colour.
It would be great to add this one to the lens database once you have given it a bit more of a trial.
09-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool,..... also I have the exact same model flat top stove at home

09-24-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Three elements is a little unusual and I have never heard of the brand.
It's more likely three GROUPS, each made of more than one element. I doubt three elements would make a good or even decent 135 mm lens.

Fine work, it's sad that you didn't have the time to document it while working. If I ever take a lens apart, I'll make sure to do so, for posterity and such

Good work.
09-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello again,

Thanks for the comments. It only has 3 elements. 3 pieces of glass, that's all. One small behind the aperture blades (this had the most fungus), the front element and the third grouped with the front one. When I get a chance I'll take it apart again to document it and see if I can improve the aperture ring.
Good idea to include it in the database. I'll do more tests on it.

Thanks,
09-26-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice repair job - looks like you have a sharp lens on your hands for 0$ now i want one